Top Thai doctor with Public Health Ministry says Covid-19 cases likely to keep rising, could cause Songkran to be canceled for the third year in a row

webfact

1 minute ago, Waynou said:

Let us all catch Omicron and then problem fixed   ????

The only small problem with that narrative, and inconvenient truth, is that the US death rate due to omicron has surpassed that which we experienced with the first alpha wave when we had no vaccines, and also the previous delta wave. Yes, it's less serious for most, but it's also more infectious.

So, I really don't mind at all if Thailand remains cautious and tries at least to slow things down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Really ?

You maybe, with your nice salary, but I don't see the many, many citizens, unable to put food on the tables for their families (due to some draconian control measures), getting back to "almost living normally" for a long time !

Can you be more specific about the "many citizens unable to put food on the tables for their families"? Where did you see them?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Can you be more specific about the "many citizens unable to put food on the tables for their families"? Where did you see them?

The fact that you don't know where to see them, says far more about you and the life you lead.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A virus enters the human-realm as a fire-breathing Dragon, running it's course inflicting death upon the vulnerable and sickly.

Through mutations, eventually turns into a wise-cracking Gecko bestowing immunity upon the surviving human population in the form of a mild flu before turning endemic and disappearing into retirement.

The PHM continues fighting the "heroic-battle" against the virus - give it up! 

Look deeper into the real Science and let the virus course through the population, with common-sense measures to protect the vulnerable & weak.

By April, Sonkran can be a much welcomed relief from 2yrs of restrictions.

My vote is to open up and live with it the problem here the left don't know what the right is doing more so that the rest of the world. 

As to the Holiday cancel!  The last two years it has been wonderful you don't need to go off the deep end to celebrate an Holiday which is what happens here in Pattaya.  The original intend of the holiday has gone out of the window years ago what has been going on is a display of what is wrong with the culture and why their problems exist that is just my opinion and experience. 

People are already dying it is a needless celebration that only brings more deaths and problems. If you need it  wake up, say Happy New Years go into the shower and turn the water on and call it a day?????

52 minutes ago, MSMU1993 said:

The fact that you don't know where to see them, says far more about you and the life you lead.......

What's the logic in your statement? If I do not see such cases, what does it say about me and the life I lead? (doesn't it say something about you?)

Could you be so kind and advise where to look? I suppose that you know where to see such empty family tables. Probably you are browsing often in such places,  or living there? Perhaps you support them? 

BTW, I see every day (working) people around me eating but they do not eat at a table.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Actually there are 111 on a ventilator and 547 in ICU, there will be more in covid wards receiving supplementary oxygen and treatment. I take your point though, the thousands in hospitels when only mild should not be there.

As for the separate warning of the cancellation of Songkran if need be, it just shows how out of touch they really are with whats going on in the rest of the world with Omicron.

Not really . Look at China and especially Hong Kong that seems to be on the verge of lock down with air travel all but stopped , closure of shopping malls , religious venues and hair dressers etc . No more than 2 people assembly and more rules coming soon . Also mandatory covid testing on a regular basis and $1000 fines for non compliance  . Given Thailand's close alliance with China , I think we may have to wait some time to return to normality .  Yet today we hear that the UK may be  dropping all restrictions on covid control this month . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Karma80 said:

The only small problem with that narrative, and inconvenient truth, is that the US death rate due to omicron has surpassed that which we experienced with the first alpha wave when we had no vaccines, and also the previous delta wave. Yes, it's less serious for most, but it's also more infectious.

So, I really don't mind at all if Thailand remains cautious and tries at least to slow things down.

As long as the Junta is not slowing down things for their own financial advantages, which I very much doubt.

To be fair Thai people have not protested at any of the covid nonsence it has been subjected so the junta will keep them pinned in for as it takes securing another term in power is the end game sadl;y maybe open up the months befere some kind of election or coup.

The baht has also stayed strong as a result of the unending partial lockdown

Edited by tomyami

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

2 months away I bet they do not cancel it.

To add, hope everyone in Pattaya has checked the dates this year.  They have the 12th thru the 20th scheduled.  9 days way too much, I certainly will find another place to go.

I don't stay in Thailand over the new year.

1 hour ago, tomyami said:

To be fair Thai people have not protested at any of the covid nonsence it has been subjected so the junta will keep them pinned in for as it takes securing another term in power is the end game sadl;y maybe open up the months befere some kind of election or coup.

The baht has also stayed strong as a result of the unending partial lockdown

Unlike in other countries with elected govt where the massive protesting has brought a relief? (e.g. in Canada?) 

Do you prefer to get here a coup?

Do you classify the Baht as strong? So, hurry up to change to a weak currency (e.g. $)    

They open the country and will not close it in another article although the cases are rising... The schools are all over the world spreaders of the infections, There are fewer restrictions coming soon and the cases will go up... And than they think to cancel Songkran for the 3rd year??? Are the knowing what they are doing or do they just saying everything without thinking, checking and investigating??

Just read that in The Netherlands a hospital has a problem because a lot of staff is infected with Covid...So I think there is more to come and because Thailand is a few months behind Europe, they should have taken precautions already, because they knew what is /was coming. Only cancel 1 event will not help anymore.. Let the people have some fun 

Edited by ikke1959

There is one obvious answer. Up the number of vaccines given a day. According to the latest  figures I could find Thailand needs another 46,000,000 doses to give everybody at least 3 shots. Even at 1,000,000 a day we are still looking at another 7 weeks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Unlike in other countries with elected govt where the massive protesting has brought a relief? (e.g. in Canada?) 

Do you prefer to get here a coup?

Do you classify the Baht as strong? So, hurry up to change to a weak currency (e.g. $)    

If your happy with an a bunch of incompences running the country into the ground up to you, they have not managed and left many more in poverty not seen for many years.

My country has fully opened and lives with covid.

A strong baht is not good for exports I do have other currencies where linked with investments that float the market not going to hold one I think is over valued and where the market for other investments has a higher risk,

On 2/10/2022 at 2:53 AM, webfact said:

Now we are almost living normally,

wearing masks outside is not normal, wearing masks inside is not normal, having screens up where people eat is not normal, having bars and nightclubs shut is not normal, having your temp checked everytime you go in 7-11 is not normal, having at least half of students in schools still learning online is not normal.      but saying all that songkran would have got cancelled even if the numbers had been low without a shadow of a doubt. i think we might have seen the last of songkran cuz covid is here to stay, so they will say every year that its too risky to have songkran.    although a lot of the misers on here will probably be chuffed with that.   

• Like 1