Thousands of expats & tourists in Thailand could head to Malaysia soon

racket

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I feel the same way about Thaksin. Loathed him at the time. Now, compared to Prayuth he seemed like a stable genius, a highly competent leader and a man who actually cared about the masses. Corrupt? They all are. At least he got stuff done. There is a reason why millions still love him, and only 3500 still support Prayuth. 

Yea, the Thaksin s had to go.  One gives the people Universal Healthcare, and the other raises the minimum wage from ฿215 a day to ฿300. 

The nerve of some people... ????

image.png.0d9c3738db0a88c936750605ea9faafc.png

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, bbko said:

The same statement could be made for Thailand, get rid of the criminals, the fake ED visas, the fake covid extensions, the fake volunteer visas, the falsified bank statements and Thailand could return to it's glory days.

Be real, any criminal being worth labeled as such is still here or can stay here setting up a company or paying a agent.

The real loss is in good people mostly who cant proof funds or are too young for retirement at the same time + not have a marriage or child here. 

For those chang wearing bottom scrapers, those were few and still come on short term holidays.

Cost of Living Comparison Between Pattaya and Penang
You would need around 66,256.32฿ (8,484.48RM) in Penang to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 79,000.00฿ in Pattaya (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&city1=Pattaya&country2=Malaysia&city2=Penang

Cost of Living Comparison Between Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur 

You would need around 75,458.55฿ (9,662.88RM) in Kuala Lumpur to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 110,000.00฿ in Bangkok (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Malaysia&city1=Bangkok&city2=Kuala+Lumpur&tracking=getDispatchComparison

• Like 2

I live in Narathiwat Province, bordering Malaysia, and - before CV-19 - crossed the border to Kota Bharu City at least four times a year for a quick shopping trip or, at most, a one-night stay. I could never wait until I got back home though. Always breathed a sigh of relief upon returning to restive, insurgency-ridden Narathiwat. No matter how life is here and how cheap Malaysia is to go shopping, Malaysia just doesn't appeal to me to live there. It feels soulless and boring.

• Thanks 2

On 2/12/2022 at 1:16 AM, bbko said:

The same statement could be made for Thailand, get rid of the criminals, the fake ED visas, the fake covid extensions, the fake volunteer visas, the falsified bank statements and Thailand could return to it's glory days.

Thailand has not diminished because of any of the things you mention. Not at all. The problems reside in poor governance and strong baht.

I have no idea what you mean by 'glory days'.

Non of the things you list have any impact on me. Why would they have any impact on you?

I suspect you have never been to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many do not understand how absolutely profound the Universal health care deal was. Most Thais had no access to health care for the previous centuries. It changed their lives, and was one of the first times a PM actually did something to really benefit the masses. No wonder Thaksin is beloved by millions still, while Prayuth is despised by 98% of the nation. Thaksin may have been corrupt, but he was very clever. Prayuth is the former, but not the latter. 

20 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Thaksin is an absolute darling compared to the current uncaring automaton. With the exception of steven, anyone who thinks the current status is all good has an agenda, is an army stooge or is trolling. 

Thaksin did not provided the health care - and made himself a darling - by his own money. Forgotten how he had got his wealth by his monopoly, lucrative supplies to police, by the clever investment in $ (as finance minister) the day before the $ jumped from 25 to 40 Baht, to name just few?

And his kind MT signal had stayed for long as one of the world's most expensive rate. Luckily, Thai people like gadgets and phoning, they do not think on the bill coming next week.

And not only the signal charge, also the hardware. I bought Nokia in Europe for half the price than in Thailand, working and roaming OK in Europe with Thai SIM (even with exaggerated rates), when landing in Bkk and switching on, suddenly crack, no signal. Luckily there were clever people in MBK who knew how to crack the Thaksin's code. And so it had gone for many years until the kind company was internationally forced to abandon such ugly practise. And also to slowly reduce the rates.

Should I mention his Cayman billions accounts in name of his maid and driver? No problem for the judges to find something unlawful (even if not unanimously).

And the subsequent democratically elected govt by his B-I-L, later by his sister, another sister was stand-by in case the former one would be forced out because of the scam with rice. Etc, etc for the "absolute darling"...   

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 11:49 PM, stigar said:

I been working in malaysia(labuan)for 3,5 years before.Great country and cheap prices.1 beer daytime was 2 ringit(22 bath)for a pine.At nigthtime more expencive when the beatiful pinay and indonesian girls arrived.Cheap hotels and crime wery low.

Labuan not a typical example of Malaysia though. And how long would you have stayed there if not working. 

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many do not understand how absolutely profound the Universal health care deal was. Most Thais had no access to health care for the previous centuries. It changed their lives, and was one of the first times a PM actually did something to really benefit the masses. No wonder Thaksin is beloved by millions still, while Prayuth is despised by 98% of the nation. Thaksin may have been corrupt, but he was very clever. Prayuth is the former, but not the latter. 

Yes he was loved for that, but the hospitals couldn't afford it.

He was responsible for the disaster masquerading as an airport, and IMO was the most corrupt politician ever to rule Thailand.

I was there during his time so from personal experience.

IMO no way he would ever have been allowed to continue, so one way or another he was toast.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Please explain your accusation that Thaksin's administration did not provide the health care. To the contrary. Not only did they create the bill, they managed to get it passed, even though the elite hated the idea of helping the masses, as they do to this day. It was truly one of the most extraordinary things any political has done for the Thai people, in the history of this nation. If you care to, name another that even compares.

This discussion is not about corruption. Do you honestly believe Prayuth and his band of goons are less corrupt than Thaksin? If so, I can offer you a great deal on the Brooklyn Bridge. 

Of course any discussion about Thaksin is about corruption. IMO he was the most absolutely corrupt man I ever knew of.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

It was wonderful pre the Thaksin dictatorship. Everything changed then.

I doubt it was wonderful for the poor Thais, but it was wonderful for me. Yes, Thaksin destroyed the previous political system, and his stooge Purachai destroyed the farang bar scene. Unless one was there, I doubt anyone would know how fantastic it used to be for us farangs, and how far it has fallen since.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Well you just did and with no mention of the current PMs fortunes as we will never be allowed to know how much he is worth.

I'm pretty sure he is worth far, far more than we could imagine. IMO he was becoming unusually wealthy from day one as PM.

BTW, while I'm happy to rubbish Thaksin, isn't it getting a bit far off the topic?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt it was wonderful for the poor Thais, but it was wonderful for me. Yes, Thaksin destroyed the previous political system, and his stooge Purachai destroyed the farang bar scene. Unless one was there, I doubt anyone would know how fantastic it used to be for us farangs, and how far it has fallen since.

Don't care what it was like before I came here in 2009.

I couldn't manage any more sex than I've been getting in the past 13 years.

I probably did it more than I really wanted, just because it was available..

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Penang old town is a great place. It's charming but full of eating places and bars and nightlife. Did you stay on the other side of the Island?

I stayed in the old town in the area where the guest houses are. B O R I N G. I have zero interest in "charming eating places" and I'm pretty sure there is zero resemblance between a Penang bar and any in Pattaya, so why would I pay to drink overpriced beverages without any benefit for doing so?

Nightlife? How do you define "nightlife"? Eating?

I went to the other side of the island, where a dump cost more to stay in than a flashpacker resort in Thailand. Beach was worse than rubbish.

I had intended staying in Penang for a week- I lasted two days.

Back in the 1970s it was actually a great place to visit, and I used to go there all the time when stationed at Butterworth air base. Sadly, time has not been kind to it.

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

No one would deny that Thaksin was corrupt. As any Thai leader before and after him.

But facts show, that the country over all was less corrupt in the Thaksin years than it is now:

Acoording to Transparency-org, Thailand ranked:

2003: 70

2004: 64

2019: 101

2020: 104

If that is true, please explain how they built a dump at Swampy. The taxiways were so badly built they had to repair them from the get go. Badly designed dysfunctional monument to corruption IMO. They couldn't even build the railway connection for many years after. IMO for the usual reason. After all, if people are using a train, they aren't in a taxi.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't care what it was like before I came here in 2009.

I couldn't manage any more sex than I've been getting in the past 13 years.

I probably did it more than I really wanted, just because it was available..

IMO the sex was better before Thaksin, and the gogos were certainly way more enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm pretty sure he is worth far, far more than we could imagine. IMO he was becoming unusually wealthy from day one as PM.

BTW, while I'm happy to rubbish Thaksin, isn't it getting a bit far off the topic?

I was responding to Saanim.