If war breaks out in Ukraine, what do you think will be the impact on your expat life in Thailand?

Jingthing

Little to no impact.

Who wants war? Will the USA or anybody in Europe fight with the Ukrainians against Russia? I don't think so.

They will all talk a lot and maybe there will be sanctions against Russia and all that.

But at the end of the day I think the question is: Who really cares about Ukraine? Anyone? Obviously they all have to pretend Ukraine is super important and independent and all that. But is it?

Which president and prime minister is willing to send soldiers to Ukraine to fight the Russians? Anybody?

My prediction: Not much will happen. And nobody will really care because people in "the west" are fed up with wars.

11 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The stock market hits were priced in last week. 

It is equally likely to create a...  'there was an invasion and the stock market went up????' reaction from many... 

Possibly not.

"The market is reacting because an actual invasion has not yet been priced in," said Michael Farr of Farr, Miller and Washington LLC. "The severity of an invasion, if one occurs, will correlate to the severity of the market’s reaction."

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/us-investors-expect-more-volatility-ukraine-concerns-spook-markets-2022-02-11/

35 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

The value of my mother in law's gold chain will go up creating widespread family happiness.

My little bag of will also go up.

Np compensation for the Euro to collapse further.

Less money, higher prices, more trouble with supply chains.

If someone is high above,sitting on a pile of money he might well say "irrelevant to me".

For flying to/from Europe maybe another extra flight time. Even bigger detour.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If Russia invades the Ukraine on Wednesday as MSM is saying will happen it will be the 1st time in about 4 years they have got a major story correct concerning Russia, so that will have some impact on my life. But still, I guess the chance of an invasion is 0.00001% and they are completely wrong again and using the invasion hysteria to distract from devastating problems in the homeland.

More interesting would be what impact it will have on those who take everything they read as gospel and then thursday rolls around and nothing happened. Will they have a moment of reflection? Will they start to consider the logic behind far fetched scenarios presented rather than blindly believe? Will the word "credible" start to be used to mean factually correct rather than simply favoring the PC side with no thought to factual accuracy?

IF, and it is a major IF, Russia actually does invade the Ukraine, the US will retaliate with sanctions and probably the fool in charge will run his mouth off again and nuclear warbirds will start getting chucked around, and we will end up being piles of dust. But at least there would not be politically incorrect tweets. 

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If they coincided the invasion with the opening of agogo bars proper then i think we won't care anymore

If the flow of cash from west stopped, no gogo

Edited by Hummin

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You may have been flip with that, but yeah there would lots of Ukrainian refugees globally, but any hoping to flee to Thailand would need to go through those difficult Covid era Thai immigration hoops. There is no way Thailand will be accepting them as formal refugees. So really I wouldn't expect a war there to result in a noticeable increase in Ukrainians here.

probably not.

If Russia invades, I expect them to "generously" limit themselves to Donetsk and Lughansk oblasts, or the current de-facto borders of Lugansk and Donetsk republics, where the majority of the population is of Russian nationality (don't get confused, Russian nationality but Ukrainian citizenship).

So if this scenario plays out, the "invasion" will be done without combat, since the aforementioned territories are already under Russian control and they would meet no resistance at all.

Western media maintain radio silence on this fact - the population of these regions of Ukraine is in its large majority Russian.

And this is also the official legitimization of Russia's territorial claims. Little mother Russia wants to protect its children that are being oppressed by evil nazi-nationalist Ukrainian extremists. In reality, Russia wants to add these regions with rich agriculture and industry to its dominion and therefore fomented separatist plots and supports separatists with weapons and personnel.

Russia ideally also needs a casus belli, that's why it has been orchestrating various media campaigns and possibly false flag operations.

as a consequence, if the Russian invasion is limited to these regions, I expect there won't be a big refugee wave, since most Russians with Ukrainian passports won't object too much to having that new sheriff in town, and those who do will find a new place to live in the rest of Ukraine.

the loss of these 2 regions won't be fatal for Ukraine, but will clearly demonstrate how weak the West is.

Then referendums will be held. The 2 republics Lughansk and Donetsk will vote to be independent or attached to Russia. Same as in Crimea. The end.

so for expats in Thailand, nothing will change.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is NOT the place to make predictions about what will happen there, as in war or no war. etc.

difficult to make predictions on what happens here without conjecturing what happens there.

domino-effect.

• Like 1

"

This is NOT the place to make predictions

So what are your concerns/predictions 

If there is a war the impact on economies in Europe will be huge - Especially the UK....that means that even if Thailand opens up the numbers visiting will be restricted.

you may also find fighting in the streets in Thailand between the various groups.

Any Russian oligarchs with funds in in Europe may find that they haven't any money anymore

China is backing Russia. If Thailand follows China then there will be repercussions for EU - Thai relations and trade may get interrupted.... apart from tourism, that would be electronics and the moro industry. They my also find themselves outbidded on imports of fuel.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, tgw said:

if the Russian invasion is limited to these regions

This seems like the best possible outcome, provided some invasion is made.

But some analysts say it is likely Russia will annex all the territory east of the Dnepr.

https://www.csis.org/analysis/russias-possible-invasion-ukraine

57 minutes ago, tgw said:

Russia ideally also needs a casus belli

This is why the bizarre claim of Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu posted on the Kremlin’s official website of American mercenaries preparing a “provocation” with chemical weapons in Ukraine is ominous and might foreshadow just the type of “incident” the Kremlin would prepare.

same source

220113_Jones_UkraineRussia_Map1_0.png

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

No impact the whole thing would be over in 2 days.

Agree. I don't think, Putin wants the whole Ukraine. Even IF there was a war, it would be limited to "incorporating" a few square miles in the pro-Russian east. But even this is very risky for Russia; not because of NATO, but because of long-term economical implications.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thainet said:

Other than not so many Russians or Ukrainians visiting Pattaya, why would it impact our expat life here.

Bit of a silly thread topic really.

Consequences of an escalating war where Thailand again have to choose side. Who do you believe they will choose this time? Submarines or the Fighter jet planes they never will be allowed to have! 

We are talking about Chinese subs, and F-35 jets from USA.

• Confused 1