Thailand’s birth rate falling over past five years

snoop1130

57D6987D-BBC5-4E2A-8201-8E2A7178B2CA.png

The birth rate in Thailand has been steadily falling over the past 5 years, so the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) has discussed, with various organisations, the creation of a roadmap, to help women from conception to birth.

Approximately 702,000 births were recorded in 2017. In 2020, however, there were only about 587,000, which is the first time in 70 years that the rate has fallen below 600,000. In the past, as many as a million births in a single year were recorded.

Births in Thailand continued to decrease in 2021, when about 544,000 were recorded, the first year in which there were fewer births than deaths, recorded at around 563,000.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-birth-rate-falling-over-past-five-years/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-02-15

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomster said:

Yet another consequence of the incredibly damaging lockdowns. 

Or a bonus Lockdown feature, if you are into population reduction. 

I too love a good conspiracy theory but this is part of a longer trend.

Cost/benefit might the primary consideration? Along with increasing life-expectancies.

thlbirthrate.jpg

• Like 1

The challenge is that more and more women are career oriented.  Also the cost of living for couples is high.  

People are involved with their lives and work.  

They seem to say well we can have a child when I am better employed or I have a better job and less financial hardship.

I would love to knw the birthrate from single girls and young women.  Has tht gone up or down?

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

This surely is good news, the world is already heavily over populated, lets hope it spreads to other countries

Japan already had a low birth rate as does Singapore.

China of course was the poster child for a low birth rate per female.

As women become more independent their career becomes more important to them than looking after some thing that cries and poops all day.

If I woke up one morning magically transformed into a female of child bearing age, I'd be sterilised as soon as I could, as zero desire to pop any out.

13 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The challenge is that more and more women are career oriented.  Also the cost of living for couples is high.  

People are involved with their lives and work.  

They seem to say well we can have a child when I am better employed or I have a better job and less financial hardship.

I would love to knw the birthrate from single girls and young women.  Has tht gone up or down?

I'd guess it depends if it's financially advantageous for single females to have children. In some countries it beats working for a living as other people have to pay to support their life style.

• Like 1

It's mainly the long-term consequence of the enfranchisement of women. Offices are full of women earning plenty of money and suddenly finding themselves being able to live independently. Modern day business - which mainly involves sitting at a computer all day - is more suited for women than for men in any case.

Coupled with reduced fertility due to phthalates and everyone pumping unnatural pharmaceuticals into their bodies day after day which disrupt the natural balance of their bodies in untold ways, the situation will become increasingly dire over time.

It's a worldwide phenomenon. What on earth did everyone expect?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I woke up one morning magically transformed into a female of child bearing age, I'd be sterilised as soon as I could, as zero desire to pop any out.

Would it be unkind to suggest that if you were to wake up, so transformed, but looking as you do, sterilisation would be unnecessary?????????????

• Like 1

This is fantastic news. Actually, birthrates are falling in many nations, and have been for awhile. There are about 25 nations that are defying this trend, and 24 out of 25 are Muslim nations. Read into that what you will. But, falling birthrates is a wonderful thing for the planet. The last thing in the world we need are more babies. I do like kids, but having babies is so overrated and overhyped. The whole baby worship culture seems so tired.

Yes, it will effect economic growth, but so what? That is such an overblown stat, anyway. And it will effect the labor pool in a generation. But, it just may save the planet. 

Chiang_Rai_children.jpg

babies_2.jpg

Edited by spidermike007

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

But, falling birthrates is a wonderful thing for the planet.

........ if you think a Muslim/Chinese world is a good thing.

In the 1940s 65% of the world was white, now we're down to 15% (and that includes Hispanics).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Less people in the world is definitely a good thing.  I never contributed to the population, as never had a partner I considered 'mother material', or thought I had enough time to devote to raising a wee one, till after I retired.  Figured a child deserves both, along with having enough finances, though latter was never a problems, as I have always to have enough, and if needed, always found more.

Too many have children when unprepared, mentally and or financially.  Lose lose for all involved.

6 minutes ago, itsari said:

Or a reduction in orphans 

Sadly, there will never be a reduction in orphans.  Thankfully, some irresponsible people that had children, are responsible enough to realize, they can't (for whatever reason) raise them, and give them up.

A blessing for many, self included.

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Sadly, there will never be a reduction in orphans.  Thankfully, some irresponsible people that had children, are responsible enough to realize, the can't (for whatever reason) raise them, and give them up.

A blessing for many, self included.

Give them up is a hideous  statement .

Reality is the reduction in tourism the last two years has resulted in less orphans in Thailand 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

It's mainly the long-term consequence of the enfranchisement of women. Offices are full of women earning plenty of money and suddenly finding themselves being able to live independently. Modern day business - which mainly involves sitting at a computer all day - is more suited for women than for men in any case.

Coupled with reduced fertility due to phthalates and everyone pumping unnatural pharmaceuticals into their bodies day after day which disrupt the natural balance of their bodies in untold ways, the situation will become increasingly dire over time.

It's a worldwide phenomenon. What on earth did everyone expect?

Actually, no. it's mainly a consequence of the fact that increasingly one parent cannot earn enough income to raise and educate the same number of children as used to be the case. For example, China has lifted its limits on how many children a married couple can have but to no avail. As upwardly mobile parents point out, they simply don't have enough money to raise and properly educate more than one child. So the situation, as bad as it is now, would be even worse were women to remain at home.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

........ if you think a Muslim/Chinese world is a good thing.

In the 1940s 65% of the world was white, now we're down to 15% (and that includes Hispanics).

I will be heavily criticized for saying so, but I honestly believe the white race is hugely over rated. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I will be heavily criticized for saying so, but I honestly believe the white race is hugely over rated. 

I believe most humans are hugely overrated no matter colour, etnesity or religion ???? 

Most likely only 1/3 of my life left, why should I worry? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is fantastic news. Actually, birthrates are falling in many nations, and have been for awhile. There are about 25 nations that are defying this trend, and 24 out of 25 are Muslim nations. Read into that what you will. 

Not sure this is true, Depends what you mean by 'defying this trend'. If you look at the top 20 countries by fertility rate, only half of them are mainly Muslim. What is true is they are all African, More a measure of poverty and lack of infrastructure and good government. 

Average world fertility rate is about 2.4, which has halved in the last 50 years. At current rates, this will fall below 2.1 in about 20 years. Thailand's rate has been falling for some time, the biggest 'age group' are those in their 40's. Fertility rate has fallen by 75% in the last 50 years. Thailand's population is about to start falling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1