Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

7 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

And how exactly are they planning to kill tens of thousands of US soldiers without the use of nuclear weapons? And even if they managed to do that, they don’t think there would be a swift and decisive reaction from the US army? These people really should learn to count to ten before they say anything.

Why are you even talking about US soldiers? No one in America is talking about sending in US troops, to my knowledge.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Ever heard the phrase, "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"?

Because what you're suggesting is exactly what Neville Chamberlain thought when he negotiated the settlement that ceded the Sudetenland to Germany in 1938.

Remind us again - how did that work out for him?

Germany didn't have nuclear weapons. It's a different world now.

On 1/21/2023 at 2:37 AM, steven100 said:

I'm not sure why the US or EU don't take Putin and his puppets out...

very strange  ?

do they just want to prolonge death and misery because that's exactly what they are allowing.

Please explain there thinking ...

Never going to happen, IMO. To take out Putin, would require authorisation from the US president, or the EU government's PMs. If that happened, it's fair game on any opposing head of state.

Anyway, assassinating Putin would likely unite the country against the Allies, and do you assume that the war would end if he was assassinated? Likely it would not.

14 hours ago, Hummin said:

I have not seen it as an option yet? 

If Germany says no, It is understandable from one point of view, if the russians get their hands on one and investigate the technology, but Im sure they already got the blueprints anyway, so ? What is the hatch? Do not want to provoke Putin more than necessary?

Do not want to provoke Putin more than necessary?

That is exactly why they have not sent them so far. They don't want to escalate the war. So far they have sent defensive weapons, but tanks are an offensive weapon.

I think one American official isn't too popular at the moment. I saw him on Al Jazeera saying that the Leopard 2 is the best tank in the world. That's going to "upset" a few people back in the US.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do not want to provoke Putin more than necessary?

That is exactly why they have not sent them so far. They don't want to escalate the war. So far they have sent defensive weapons, but tanks are an offensive weapon.

I think one American official isn't too popular at the moment. I saw him on Al Jazeera saying that the Leopard 2 is the best tank in the world. That's going to "upset" a few people back in the US.

I'm sure you believe you saw that.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

??????????????????

You do know that those thousands of jobs are paid for by the taxpayer, don't you?

Do you want taxes to go up to pay for them?

Seems like you have no idea how economies work.

Your overall view of this war seems very distorted to me but you must have your reasons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why are you even talking about US soldiers? No one in America is talking about sending in US troops, to my knowledge.

If you had bothered to click on the link that I reacted to (or even read the link, cause it’s right there):

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putins-henchmen-threaten-tens-of-thousands-of-dead-us-troops?ref=scroll

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Germany didn't have nuclear weapons. It's a different world now.

That Russia has nukes doesn’t mean that you can stick your head in the sand and that the world just has to bend over and give in to the whims of the likes of Putin, does it?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, bannork said:

Then again, most are raving loonie nationalists.

They are just raving loonies, period. Nationalism or patriotism has nothing to do with it, that’s just a vehicle they’re using to further their despicable agenda.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, stevenl said:

Because that was mentioned in the link he replied to.

I read the linked article and nowhere did I see anyone threatening to send US troops to Ukraine, let alone an American.

Perhaps you can quote the part where an American threatens to send US troops to the Ukraine.

16 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

That Russia has nukes doesn’t mean that you can stick your head in the sand and that the world just has to bend over and give in to the whims of the likes of Putin, does it?

No, it doesn't, but the people making the decisions have to know that the wrong decision could lead to nuclear war and the possible end of human life on the planet. If you were in charge, would you be prepared to destroy humanity for political reasons?

7 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Chairman of the Duma, Vyacheslav Volodin, threatens West with ‘global catastrophe’ over weapons to Ukraine.

https://www.politico.eu/article/top-russia-official-vyacheslav-volodin-threatens-west-with-global-catastrophe-over-weapons-to-ukraine-war/

So let me get this straight. Russia invaded Ukraine, which is apparently perfectly okay with this clown. Russia gets weapons from Iran and North-Korea, with which it bombs civilian and infrastructure targets in Ukraine, which apparently is also perfectly okay with this clown. Not to mention all the raping, torturing and killing that the Russian army engages in.

And then Ukraine doesn’t have the right to defend itself with western weapons? What planet does this guy live on?

What planet does this guy live on?

Certainly not on Utopia.

16 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

If you had bothered to click on the link that I reacted to (or even read the link, cause it’s right there):

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putins-henchmen-threaten-tens-of-thousands-of-dead-us-troops?ref=scroll

The thread topic is Ukraine, not an attack on US soldiers elsewhere.

In the article no American was threatening to send US troops to Ukraine that I saw, so my comment stands.

47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I read the linked article and nowhere did I see anyone threatening to send US troops to Ukraine, let alone an American.

Perhaps you can quote the part where an American threatens to send US troops to the Ukraine.

Why do you insert 'an American '?

You obviously didn't read very well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tgw said:

finally some good news:

https://kyivindependent.com/national/german-minister-berlin-wont-oppose-delivery-of-polish-leopard-tanks-to-ukraine

German minister: Berlin won't oppose delivery of Polish Leopard tanks to Ukraine.

Maybe enough pressure was applied

Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III spent several days trying to persuade the Germans to ship them, or at least allow Poland and other nations that use the tanks to re-export them. But by the time the meeting with scores of allies ended, the German defense minister, Boris Pistorius, reported that no agreement had been reached, although he said they would make a decision “as soon as possible.” He and Mr. Austin tried to focus on the unity of the effort to confront Russia, rather than the obvious rift over arms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/20/us/politics/nato-alliance-ukraine.html

https://archive.ph/gzPKR

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Why do you insert 'an American '?

You obviously didn't read very well.

LOL. My original reply was "Why are you even talking about US soldiers? No one in America is talking about sending in US troops, to my knowledge."

My comment stands as the thread topic is Ukraine, not some hypothetical scenario involving US troops elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. My original reply was "Why are you even talking about US soldiers? No one in America is talking about sending in US troops, to my knowledge."

My comment stands as the thread topic is Ukraine, not some hypothetical scenario involving US troops elsewhere.

Which the comment was about. So your original reply was deflecting.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

At 10.00 the panellist talks about killing US soldiers in number in order to persuade the US to withdraw its support for Ukraine. He cites the case of Vietnam, how the US public couldn't tolerate the loss of US soldiers' lives.

F-16 fighter jets: What are they and could they be sent to help Ukraine?

They can fly at more than 1,200mph and are some of the most advanced aircraft in NATO's fleet. Could the F-16 be sent to Ukraine?

"The Dutch cabinet said will look into supplying F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine if the Kyiv government asks for them, the country's media have reported."

• Like 2