Family of South African jailed in Thailand remain hopeful

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

had signed for a package on behalf of her boyfriend

I'm sure she was aware of the package content ......    

obviously she was never taught that drugs are a no no  and to stay away from drugs  .......     

Drug addicts, users, sellers, pushers deserve jail .... no sympathy here. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When an appeal is submitted, no additional evidence will be accepted. The Appeals Court will base its judgment on the evidence submitted during the trial. Since the defendant’s lawyer will not be formally notified, they will not be aware of the Appeal Court’s decision until it has been announced,“ they said. Really ????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

She said no and told me only desperate men travel to Thailand for scoring with girls.

Well ..... Its obviously a trope and an untrue trope at that BUT there do seem to be a very high number of posters on this forum and in certain towns who meet that criteria. 

And it cannot be denied that the trope has a following, whenever I am in the UK having beer and it comes up that I live (soon to be lived) in Thailand I get the "nudge nudge wink wink" look.

• Like 2

Soi

what a stupid comment….this whole tough on drugs propaganda needs to be overhauled and decided on individual case by case….

she was nothing but an unknowing mule and have an appropriate fine/sentence….you can’t equate all drugs crimes the same….they are not 

why not tough sentences on others in this county….parents who don’t watch their kids from drowning? Drivers who don’t follow rules of the road and kill others drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists etc

The legal system here should add the word hypocrite as an adjective 

now back to Soi….you spout a propaganda expression w/o thinking if it makes any sense, unjust or appropriate? What about commenting w/o any thought? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leadidge said:

What makes her an idiot? Signing for a delivery is a completely normal thing to do. 

Would you sign for a package not knowing what was inside? And if her associate and the environment in which she was staying did not raise some suspicion then maybe not an idiot but definitely naive. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Raymonddiaz said:

When an appeal is submitted, no additional evidence will be accepted. The Appeals Court will base its judgment on the evidence submitted during the trial. Since the defendant’s lawyer will not be formally notified, they will not be aware of the Appeal Court’s decision until it has been announced,“ they said. Really ????

Yes. That's the process here in Thailand.

• Sad 1

This story illustrates how careful one has to be in a country with a corrupt police and judicial system.

I was reminded of the TV series " Bangkok Hilton" starring Nicole Kidman.

I make no judgments on her guilt or innocence, except to say I would never sign for a package that I was not addressed to me, and/or was unexpected.

• Like 2