Did you keep your house ?

georgegeorgia

For those of you have perm retired to Asia,

What about your home in farangland , did you keep it, did you decide to sell up and keep no assets where you came from,or do you perhaps rent it out ?

I am making decisions that when I retire I may keep my house in Australia until about 70 then if I decide to permanently live in Asia whether that be Thailand or Phillipines then I will sell it.

It's no use keeping it back in Australia unless I rent it out which will be another hassle with tax , maintenance etc etc.

But...on the other hand it may be useful to have for emergency.

So how many of you have no house back where U came from..when did U decide to sell ?

I guess if your married to a Asian lady living in Asia then you don't need any assets back in the west .

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

... Houses prices and rents here are entering insane territory, ...

Very true,

Real estate in the west is at an all time high and shows no sign of slowing,

It's a two edged sword, yes there's money to be made selling, but if you have to buy again up the road road you probably won't be able to replace what you had at a similar price, if at all.

A very tough decision to make but I think I would hold on to my ship in a storm.

• Like 2

I needed to sell in order to retire very early. So nothing to go "home" to and of course housing costs in the US especially rents are totally insane. In case things go south in Thailand (always a possibility) I would seek another lower cost expat destination (though those options are shrinking). I just found out today I could qualify for quick Ukrainian citizenship (got curious to look it up because of current events) so if they become part of EU then that opens up all of EU Europe without visas (sorry Brexiters). Of course not right now as it's not even certain that Ukraine will survive!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thai family law is much more sensible and equitable than Australian family law, which is so heavily biased towards women I wonder why any men there still maintain a relationship beyond one year. In hindsight, I would not have.

If that were the case, IMO women intending to get wealthy off a man would be nice till the new time limit was reached.

I've never understood why any wealthy man in the US would get married given their strange alimony laws that allows a woman to live off a man with whom they do not live, presumably for life, unless she remarries. Tell me if that's wrong.

I sold them, rolling them into my brokerage account, knowing I would never live in them again.  Could make more money investing than renting out or selling at later date.

I would strongly recommend those having, to keep for self and or rent out for income.  Unless simply rolling over into better investment ideas.

• Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

One. think to check on is that if there is nobody living in the house for a certain period of time, insurance may not cover the house as it will be considered abandoned... 

there are difficulties in maintaining a house from far away... renting too. 

It's called rental agencies.

They handle it all.

Note: This only applies to the UK - I have no idea of how other countries behave in this matter.

I won't be keeping my UK home when I make the move but I will be hiving off some of the proceeds as a safety net.  Remember this, even though there have been changes recently, if you get sick and need permanent care or need to go into care, you will at some point have to sell your home to pay the costs.  Unless you have a patient wife or are rich, if you get sick in Thailand it could cost you a fortune. I would simply go back to the UK and rent.

Once I leave the UK, I won't have and don't want, any assets there - I have no intention of letting the UK government 'steal' my kids inheritance.  There are ways of making sure that doesn't happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

only if you have a really good one, so many just pocket the fees and then bail if there is a problem.. 

If repairs are needed they come out of the rent, if it's a large repair bill then it's extended over several months.

In the US tax laws are evolving regarding real estate. Those of us who want our family to inherit property should read up on laws. Having to pay reassessed property taxes is bad. It seems like the government is trying to take away wealth from folks.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1

Since we spend 6 months here in Thailand and 6 months in the USA, we kept our house in Orlando. It also depends on how much money you have saved/have to cover your expenses in both countries. We have family back in the USA and like to spend time with our Grandchildren, if we did not have family in the USA we would move permanently to our house in Thailand. I must say, I have kept my options open minded. Such as if things get much worse in the USA with crime, etc., I will move the whole family to Thailand. Just "MY THOUGHTS!"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

as your residency status for tax purposes will change after you are out of the country for over 183 days, whether you like it or not.

This information is misleading, there is more than one test for residency status in Australia.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/coming-to-australia-or-going-overseas/Your-tax-residency/#Residencytests

I still have a domicile in Australia, as I have a financial interest in the house my son owns, and that is my address as far as the ATO is concerned.

I will continue to claim Australian residency until the ATO tells me otherwise. It is not up to me to hang myself with whatever rope the ATO has prepared.

The other option is to stop putting in the yearly tax return. I know a guy on a full Australian OAP here who has not put in a tax return for the ten years he has been here. His pension has not been taxed at the 32% rate you mention.

It seems to be a grey area, my advice would be don't poke the bear.

• Like 1