Thailand reports 22,984 new COVID-19 cases, 74 deaths, 24,161 recoveries

webfact

COV10.jpg

file photo

Thailand on Thursday (March 10) reported 22,984 new COVID-19 cases, 24,161 recoveries and 74 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 3,111,857 with 23,512 deaths.

The news comes as Thailand’s National Communicable Disease Committee (NCDC) approved, yesterday (Wednesday), the Public Health Ministry’s plan to classify COVID-19 as an endemic disease in four months, starting on July 1st, if things go according to plans.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said today that the plan is based on the principle that the good health of the people and the national economy must go together, which is the policy being adopted in several countries.

*Thai PBS contributed to this report

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update10MAR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-10

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 2

The deaths have definitely jumped with 74 yesterday.  Cases have also increased, waiting on the ATK test positives to see what the daily numbers truly are.  The unvaccinated here need to be jabbed and then those needing boosters need to get in and get it done so the chances of them becoming really ill are minimized.

Looks like the Government wants to open for Songkran, yet who will come as tourists and how will folks afford travel with fuel prices headed upwards.  Guess folks selling their gold will use it to finance their Songkran festivities.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

+2.......my partner and myself had mild flu last week. 

Haven't had a sniffle here in Thailand for 10 years so (guessing) Omicron variant.

We didn't even bother testing.

The numbers posted could be multiplied many times over for true situation. 

Isolate by all means when you have symptoms. 

Apparently the numbers in Vietnam are skyhigh.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

+2.......my partner and myself had mild flu last week. 

Haven't had a sniffle here in Thailand for 10 years so (guessing) Omicron variant.

We didn't even bother testing.

The numbers posted could be multiplied many times over for true situation. 

Isolate by all means when you have symptoms. 

Apparently the numbers in Vietnam are skyhigh.

I had the same. All the symptoms of Omicron. Achy muscles, scratchy throat, cough, cold etc. 

I tested twice and to my amazement I was negative both times. I quite fancied a week or two working from home to be honest. Not sure if the tests are not picking it up or if we've all become paranoid after 2 years of "The Fear" being rammed down our throats.

• Like 2

Newly reported official COVID cases rose again on Thursday to 22,984, their highest number in the past six days, while new COVID deaths (74) and serious COVID cases in hospital (1,238) both continued their steady upward climb to again set new highs for the year.

Daily COVID deaths now are running six times the level at the start of the year. Both serious COVID hospitalizations and patients requiring intubation to breathe, who also reached a new yearly high of 420, both have more than doubled since January.

But probably the biggest surprise from Thursday's report by the Ministry of Public Health was a sudden and sharp increase in the number of unofficial COVID cases based on positive ATK tests, which skyrocketed to 49,494, up from 31,890 the day before, and also set a new high for the year.

As a result of that, Thailand on Thursday also set another new record high for the year, with combined official and unofficial COVID cases hitting 72,478, blowing past the prior record this year of 65,756  set a week ago.

The lone good news from Thursday's report is that Thailand continues to reduce its population of COVID cases in regular hospitals, despite the continuing rise in serious cases, as mild positive cases are encouraged to isolate at home or in other care settings. Hospitalizations dropped to 58,254, a number that has been falling daily for the past week and is well off this year's high of 85,075.

646294540_Daily2022-03-10a.jpg.1d2e45c39e40228210e79a4a12f46b90.jpg

1703280959_Daily2022-03-10b.jpg.1705984c2386b5e3101c1898d157a351.jpg

847810092_Dash2022-03-10.jpg.74b34183ccab058666cc0f90a239c70b.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

For added context, during the peak of the Delta wave last fall, Thailand's daily COVID case count topped out at 23,418, but the numbers of serious hospital cases and intubated patients peaked above 5,600 and 1,100 respectively, and daily deaths topped 300 for a brief period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just saw this story and now I understand why we will never see the actual posted cases per PCR testing increase very much, of course high risk groups should still seek treatment and a PCR test....

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/health-officials-say-pcr-testing-no-longer-required-after-positive-atk-result

Patients who test positive for Covid-19 after using an antigen test kit no longer need to take a PCR test to confirm the result. Suphakit Sirilak from the Department of Medical Sciences says the requirement for a follow-up PCR test is expensive and time-consuming. In addition, the generally mild nature of the Omicron variant has removed the need for people who receive a positive ATK result to take a PCR test. The exception is people in high-risk groups who should still seek a PCR test and hospital treatment.

But at the same time, I doubt they're going start counting the ATK positive only cases as "official" cases.

So, it beomes a case of "don't test, don't count" -- which fits well into the government theme of let's just call the whole thing endemic.

• Like 1

"Covid-19 vaccines are now available at Bangkok’s Bang Sue Grand station, with no appointment necessary, regardless of which dose is required. The Central Vaccination Centre says inoculation is available to both Thais and foreigners, who can also choose which vaccine they want.

The centre at Bang Sue will be open every day from 9 am to 4 pm between now and Songkran. It will be closed on April 6 for the Chakri Memorial Day holiday and again during the Songkran holiday. According to the Bangkok Post report, the centre re-opens on April 18."

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/bang-sue-offering-walk-in-vaccination-with-choice-of-vaccine-for-thais-and-foreigners

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Obviously ATK testing has been increased strongly.

First time I saw a woman from health volunteers walking around in a hazmat.

Daughter who is also a health volunteer was very busy yesterday.

Yesterday 51+ cases in our three villages detected. A dozen or more houses quarantined. And one or two seriously sick people in hospital. The others killing time more or less useful on their plot.

Some don't like to hear it, but number of deaths also goes up because of the death WITH Covid in hospital. Well documented in Denmark. Don't know how accurate they work out the death certificates here.

Edited by KhunBENQ

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But at the same time, I doubt they're going start counting the ATK positive only cases as "official" cases.

So, it beomes a case of "don't test, don't count" -- which fits well into the government theme of let's just call the whole thing endemic.

As it pretty much has been since the beggining of this Covid pandemic.  Even afterwards when it becomes endemic the numbers will never be combined for the stats in the MOPH data base so we will continue to see the potential for excess deaths with no related causes.  Makes it hard for going forward as far as medications and vaccine development.  Yet some folks do not seem to care, and say that if it happens to them then they just seem to accept it.  However, I seem to think that for those that do end up with it they will play the "I wish I had listened and done what was being stated" and those are the folks that are complaining of their freedoms being taken and being forced to be vaccinated over their bodies own immune system.  Just my opinion.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Patients who test positive for Covid-19 after using an antigen test kit no longer need to take a PCR test to confirm the result. Suphakit Sirilak from the Department of Medical Sciences says the requirement for a follow-up PCR test is expensive and time-consuming. In addition, the generally mild nature of the Omicron variant has removed the need for people who receive a positive ATK result to take a PCR test. The exception is people in high-risk groups who should still seek a PCR test and hospital treatment.

My girlfriend had this problem over a week ago in Phetchaburi, tested positive via ATK and informed her company of the result. Company needed a PCR positive result to process her sick pay. Went to local hospital for the PCR but was told they were unable to perform the PCR as they were inundated with cases and could not perform one.

After returning home and calling the hospital she managed to arrange one for 1900 B

at the same hospital the next day

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, WHansen said:

Went to local hospital for the PCR but was told they were unable to perform the PCR as they were inundated with cases and could not perform one.

I seem to recall one of the government medical types complaining a while back that the rising volume of RT-PCR testing was getting to be very expensive for the government, which, you know, has had to spend a lot of the public's money on various other things like vaccines, etc etc....

I'm fine if they never do many RT-PCR tests ever again. BUT, if they're going to be honest about it (which seems unlikely to happen), then they at the same time should start counting positive ATK test results as "official" cases for record keeping and officialdom purposes.

• Like 2

This was some more cheery news overnight:

Covid Can Shrink the Brain as Much as a Decade of Aging, Study Finds

"Even a mild case of Covid-19 can damage the brain and addle thinking, scientists found in a study that highlights the illness’s alarming impact on mental function.

Researchers identified Covid-associated brain damage months after infection, including in the region linked to smell, and shrinkage in size equivalent to as much as a decade of normal aging. The changes were linked to cognitive decline in the study, which was published Monday in the journal Nature. "

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-07/brain-shrinkage-cognitive-decline-found-months-after-mild-covid

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This was some more cheery news overnight:

Covid Can Shrink the Brain as Much as a Decade of Aging, Study Finds

"Even a mild case of Covid-19 can damage the brain and addle thinking, scientists found in a study that highlights the illness’s alarming impact on mental function.

Researchers identified Covid-associated brain damage months after infection, including in the region linked to smell, and shrinkage in size equivalent to as much as a decade of normal aging. The changes were linked to cognitive decline in the study, which was published Monday in the journal Nature. "

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-07/brain-shrinkage-cognitive-decline-found-months-after-mild-covid

That's why i play Sudoku and Wordly as they are good daily brain teasers to keep the brain functioning. Reading also keeps the mind agile.  Don't ask me to do calculus equations as that will put my brain on overload just like when I was getting my degree. Puzzles are good also.....

https://mydoctor.kaiserpermanente.org/mas/news/ways-to-keep-your-mind-sharp-during-covid-19-pandemic-1758851

• Like 1

Let's hope the Thailand COVID trends will be better come mid-April than they are right now, with yearly record highs continuing to be set almost every day.

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government has assured that Songkran celebrations next month will be allowed to take place, while noting that health and safety precautions will still need to be taken.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1252902-government-confirms-songkran-celebrations-to-proceed-next-month/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

???????? THAI NEWS REPORTS: The CCSA has released information about the vaccination status for the 74 reported deaths for yesterday:
???? Not vaccinated: 48%
???? Vaccinated with 1 jab: 6%
???? 2nd jab more than 3 months ago: 35%
???? 2nd jab less than 3 months ago: 9%
???? Booster jab: 1%

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1501821790209081344

Close to half unvaccinated. That has to get under this Governments skin.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 22,984 official new infections. 74 official covid deaths recorded.

Rapid tests positive cases, 49,495 bringing the total of PCR and ATK results to 72,479

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

OWD rolling 7 day average, cases and deaths up to 8th March

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

image.png.5aac0eb72b3a53a69a39171387b5e7d0.png

image.png.c168d456d16216afdd4ce68106b57618.png

image.png.f6bda45473cf65eeafa0ebf36a7e54e8.png

The chart appears to be heading toward another crest on the Roller Coaster chart.

But the progress of Covid is ever upwards

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Close to half unvaccinated. That has to get under this Governments skin.

And of those not Vaccinated, what proportion are the Older Folk in the Boonies ?

These are the Folk that should have been Vaxxed over 18 Months ago, and I cannot believe that they are not due to " scare mongering " and bad press over the Vaccines used.

There has to be a more to this really high percentage not being Vaxxed.

Society seems to have ignored them.

• Like 2

Thailand could see 250 covid-related deaths by May

Thailand could see up to 250 Covid-19 related deaths per day by May as current deaths surpasses the anticipated ‘worst case’ scenario, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said on Thursday.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/38451/thailand-could-see-250-covid-related-deaths-by-may/

• Thanks 1

Just now, anchadian said:

Thailand could see 250 covid-related deaths by May

Thailand could see up to 250 Covid-19 related deaths per day by May as current deaths surpasses the anticipated ‘worst case’ scenario, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said on Thursday.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/38451/thailand-could-see-250-covid-related-deaths-by-may/

I can definitely see that unless they get a handle on vaccinating the unvaccinated and start pushing the boosters out.  One has to wonder why this government seems to have slowed down on the vaccinations as well as boosters.  Could it be a monetary issue or are they waiting for donations to be sent.....

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

St. Anutin where are you when Thailand needs you? If only you were applying your unparalleled wisdom, experience, knowledge, and creativity, Thailand would have already flattened the curve. Where have you been hiding out? 

He has been to busy helping out with the Tangmo case.  You have not really heard or seen much of this Government in the past few weeks, and you have to wonder why....