Thai tourism emphasises its neutrality in the Ukraine war, calls for a review of payment systems

webfact

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

"... senor figures within the foreign tourism sector ... emphasise (sic) that the kingdom remains a neutral party to the conflict ..."

One should not get too far ahead with this statement.

As a matter fo national governance, it is the Head of Government PM Prayut and/or Head of State to make such a call, not unidentified "senior figures." In fact neither Prayut nor his Counsel of Ministers (Cabinet) have made such a commitment. 

Thus, from the viewpoint of internal relationships, comments of neutrality from unidentified Thai senior officials can be construed as personal comments and not as an official Kingdom policy. TAT itself does not make foreign policy.

That said, given such neutrality comments by senior officials might require the Government and/or the Kingdom to present an official position regarding the war between Ukraine and Russia to negate the neutrality comments.

In fact the Kingdom of Thailand has already backed a UN resolution with 140 other nations (ie., Switzerland) demanding a withdrawal of the Russian forces from Ukraine. That is not being neutral. Abstaining from the vote as 35 nations had done would have been considered as neutrality. But now Thailand may need to state reaffirmation or clarification. 

Also "missing in action" with regard to the subject neutrality issue is the Thai Parliament. A resolution by the Senate/House regarding Thailand's position in the Russian invasion of Ukraine is needed if Prayut remains silent to TAT official's citibg neutrality.

edit - "senior figures"

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Uncle Vlad he be so smart,

8 years in the planning and Chinese banking is how he will get round the sanctions.

Suck it up western banking your about to lose money.

Either extreme irony or an IQ below that of your (wombat) pseudonym ???? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Moscow office will be attending the Moscow International Travel & Tourism Exhibition from March 15th to 17th

Life being employed at TAT.  

That's what I encourage my children to attain to.

1.) TAT

2.) Doctor

3.) Nurse

Well paid jobs with security.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Spineless people.... 

I am tempted to say, either get your people out of Ukraine, or get them out of Thailand! 

Now we worry over chemical/ biological weapons.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Life being employed at TAT.  

That's what I encourage my children to attain to.

1.) TAT

2.) Doctor

3.) Nurse

Well paid jobs with security.

You missed drug dealing minister for the Government....

• Like 2

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why we spend so much press time discussing TOURISM ... which is only about 12-15% of the economy. 

Has anyone looked at the state of the other 85% of Thailand's economy ? Can we PLEASE hear a few words about how that rather large segment of the economy is doing ?

Good Morning,

I think extending Visa’s at no charge for Ukrainian and Russian Tourists is great !!

HOWEVER !! How does Thailand ????????
A member of The United Nations since 1946 say there Neutral from the war in Ukraine ???????? When the rest of the UN ???????? Is Condemning the war !!!!???? 

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Sorry, but F neutral. Places like Switzerland, Ireland etc (albeit on a governmental level) did this before, didn't get their hands dirty and sat back with the eventual stability that the fighters brought. Thailand, do not be a wet rag! Don't dance with the devil if just your economy is at stake.

Easy for you to say if your finances are not affected.