Opinion: It should not require a national tragedy to push us to change our driving habits

webfact

The Thai people simply lack the discipline required to maintain strict traffic laws. From the Thai perspective it's preferable to accept some traffic deaths because the alternative would be too difficult to comply with as enough of the population lacks the discipline.

Even if you could import a foreign police force which did their jobs the general population would revolt against them and make the effort ungovernable. Actually staffing dedicated police from the Thai population would be impossible at this time also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

I gave one a gentle beep the other day on a main road as he was weaving into the middle lane whilst playing on his phone.

Literally a minute later, I caught up with him at next traffic lights and he had driven into the back of a car.

Sweet.

11 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

This is the problem, police are not doing their job.

It isn't that, or it isn't just that, it's the culture.  If you instituted Western style law enforcement on Thai roads tomorrow there would be a national outcry.  Thai people just wouldn't accept it.

I think people are mistaken when they blame solely government officials for the state of the country.  Almost everything that people complain about and blame on the government happens at all levels in Thailand.

• Like 1

I notice that in central Sukhumvit around Nana station the cars and bikes seem a little more considerate now, and the pedestrians seem a LOT more careful, looking all ways like they might see a nuke sailing down the street. I have no doubt that the famous accident is the cause and I wonder if data about pedestrians hit would show a decline. It's not impossible that over time things will improve.

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Dear Eric,

Isn't Thailand a nice place to hang out while you pen drivel like this? 

Sunshine, palm trees, happy smiling people, good infrastructure, reasonable medical care, good after work parties, et al.

Have you ever thought of moving to Indonesia, Vietnam or Cambodia where I am sure the populace would be just as happy to hear your opinions. 

It's his country.

He's Thai.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/13211/opinion-never-again-never-again/

"I was a university student back then. During the night of the crackdown on May 19, I was in Ayutthaya because my house in Pathum Thani was not far from there."

"My mother comes from the Northeast. My father is German.

I am a lookreung who speaks Isan so it was easier to talk to the Red Shirts who mostly came from the Northeast."

image.jpeg.71e26a377aa6d85640a6a8ff04d64ab6.jpeg

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 2

No matter what solution are put in place only one thing works thereafter and that is enforcement. Enforcement is a form of education. 

Problem here in Thailand no one and I mean no one lived here long enough to realize it can't change it because enable they themselves must be educated given alternatives everyone in general comes from the same system reason every idea is nothing but spinning their wheels going no where.  Then if someone does know too concerned about their own welfare too low on the pole to speak up. 

Solution said it many times the problem has to be given to an outsider with absolut power to remove anyone and I mean anyone who tries to circumvent the new system once in place the solution to reducing is very simple but those in charge must have a clue as to how to change it.  

I can bring them under the W.H.O. ranking (2) in the first year but it would've a lot of people upset! So until they find the will to do what it takes as the story noted it will continue the greatest resources of this nation will continue to perish  needlessly! 

Edited by thailand49
  • Confused 1

It's reckless drivers period.  Doesn't matter what they are driving.  Things have improved slightly over the decades.  Mostly due to improved roads.  

It used to be single lanes driving to Chiang Mai on the highways.  The buses would just turn into the oncoming traffic when they wanted to pass forcing the cars into the shoulder.  About every 100 Kilometers you would see a wrecked bus on the side of the road.

I was out today, and within 15 minutes I saw dozens of people breaking the law. One helmet in 20, bikes going the wrong way up a street by the market (if I stood there for an hour the number would be 60 or more), people riding in the back of pickups, people riding in a bike sidecar, driving on the wrong side of the road. Everything. And they will continue to do all that because no-one cares. Especially the police, who have no interest in enforcing the law. Until that changes, and it won't, then nothing will change. Thai people are completely ungovernable. 

8 hours ago, shady86 said:

Population control working well here. Things would not change and will never change. Just accept it.

yeahhh it's on their DNA and updated every time there is a new birth  555

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was out today, and within 15 minutes I saw dozens of people breaking the law. One helmet in 20, bikes going the wrong way up a street by the market (if I stood there for an hour the number would be 60 or more), people riding in the back of pickups, people riding in a bike sidecar, driving on the wrong side of the road. Everything. And they will continue to do all that because no-one cares. Especially the police, who have no interest in enforcing the law. Until that changes, and it won't, then nothing will change. Thai people are completely ungovernable. 

555. I broke at least two of your laws today. Rode the wrong way about 100m to the hairdressers for haircut. Then rode without a helmet to take my wife around 500m to the wat for a ceremony. I have ridden in the back of a pickup and have ridden in a salong (spelling) motorbike with sidecar, many times. They are like taxis in our city.

I don't feel anything, good, bad or indiferent.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

555. I broke at least two of your laws today. Rode the wrong way about 100m to the hairdressers for haircut. Then rode without a helmet to take my wife around 500m to the wat for a ceremony. I have ridden in the back of a pickup and have ridden in a salong (spelling) motorbike with sidecar, many times. They are like taxis in our city.

I don't feel anything, good, bad or indiferent.

So, you've become Thai and don't care. I'm sure there are many people (and I am not necessarily including you) that come to live in Thailand because they don't have to try too hard and can have a casual association with being law-abiding. Places like Singapore and Malaysia would not be so accommodating, and why Thailand so often seems to attract those at the bottom of the barrel. They feel at home. Those same people would offer the excuse that those other places are boring.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, webfact said:

The unfortunate death of ophthalmologist Waraluck “Mor Kratai” Supawatjariyakul stirred up public awareness and brought out experts who have long argued that changes were needed to better protect pedestrians.

Since the death of ophtalmologist Waraluck there was a lot of newsflashes about people getting killed or getting injured on a "Zebra" crossing.
But "the experts" will keep arguing ....
In the meantime, the government is looking to implement the wearing of a helmet and respect the law on people getting a "legal" driver license.
Dream on ..............................

On average fifty three people die everyday on the roads in Thailand. By the way that's only people that died at the scene so the real number is probably double that. If that isn't the definition of a "National Tragedy" I don't know what is.  There will never be a solution to this problem  as long as there is a corrupt and inept government and police force who are unwilling to provide driver education and enforce the laws required bring the carnage under control.

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

FREEDOM

Isn't it great.  No oppression traffic police.

Is that illegal, as the only type of taxi where we live.  Then again, the side cart itself is illegal ????

Not sure MVAs count as 'national tragedy'  As stated, it's a work in progress, and much better than previous decades.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ozbanglamung said:

On average fifty three people die everyday on the roads in Thailand. By the way that's only people that died at the scene so the real number is probably double that.

This is incorrect - the criteria for these stats is not "at the scene" not is it 30 days. Various sources are used to come up with the overall picture of between 50 and 60 per day. The police holiday stats refer to dead at scene or in hospital but as they are released only day by day, they are not regarded as the real picture - or accurate.

to get a more realistic picture, it is worth bearing in mind that 73% of deaths re motorcycle riders and passengers, 80% of total are "vulnerable" road users and if you are in a 4-wheeled vehicle you are less at risk of dying than in the USA.