Do you believe in the weekly Covid case statistics anymore?

webfact

The only thing you need to believe is...

Whatever numbers the government reports in its official stats, the REAL COVID case numbers are significantly higher.

As noted by another poster above, the case numbers are useful for indicating broader trends up or down, if you ignore the daily fluctuations and look at the broader averages...like the following:

299373056_TwoWeekTrends2022-03-29.jpg.b684fc02ed7ec13f4b6544a549b0a554.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/531307351820927/?type=3

The far right portion of the Ministry of Public Health graph above shows Thailand's running 14-day average daily case counts for the past two week period.

Don't focus on the actual numbers, but focus on the trend direction.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

7 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Thailand has never told the truth on covid figures from the outset of the pandemic....

Just as TAT doesn't tell the truth of how many tourists arrive.

That is true.  Also why the singular focus on reporting only Covid.  If they reported the figures for the number of people contracting TB, HIV, Dengue Fever, Influenza, bacterial infections, we could all spend our days hunkered inside paranoid about venturing into the outside world. 

I was told stay at home and only contact the hospital if the symptoms were bad (ie breathing difficulties) by the Pharmacist. So that's three unreported cases that I know of this week and I assume a brisk trade in ATK kits and medication to treat symptoms such as cough, sore throat and runny nose. 

I'm skeptical and cynical....I do not believe anything any institution tells me, government or otherwise. The intent of government communications is usually to mislead and make you believe what the government wishes you to believe. Often this is not what one would call lying, rather misleading you by two main strategies.....first is ommission whereby they conveniently forget to tell you anything that doesn't fit the narrative being sold to you....second by citing certainty where none exists (Eg Iraq war.....we know Iraq has weapons of mass destruction, we have 'intelligence'.)

18 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

That is true.  Also why the singular focus on reporting only Covid.  If they reported the figures for the number of people contracting TB, HIV, Dengue Fever, Influenza, bacterial infections, we could all spend our days hunkered inside paranoid about venturing into the outside world. 

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that COVID has generally been among the top 3 causes of death in countries such as the U.S. and the U.K. since the start of the pandemic, matched by conditions only such as heart disease and cancer.  Everything else you list above is much farther down on the lists of causes of death.

England:

"Coronavirus (COVID-19) was the third leading cause of death in February 2022 in England (accounting for 5.6% of all deaths) and the sixth leading cause of death in Wales (4.4% of all deaths)."

Screenshot_2.jpg.20421345ced3ad3e79d078c7f9b96405.jpg

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/monthlymortalityanalysisenglandandwales/february2022#leading-causes-of-death

U.S.:

"Over the course of the pandemic, COVID-19 has frequently ranked among the top 3 leading causes of death in the U.S., with the exception of the summer of 2021. Looking at data on deaths from COVID-19 and other causes, in February 2022, COVID-19 took the lives of about 2,198 people per day on average. By comparison, heart disease, which is typically the number one cause of death in the U.S. each year, led to the death of about 2,400 people per day, and cancer claimed nearly 1,700 lives per day, on average based on data from January 2022."

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/brief/covid-19-leading-cause-of-death-ranking/

For the world, it's now 6.1 million COVID deaths and rising since the beginning... though researchers believe the actual COVID deaths number could be three times that official count due to undercounting and other factors.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Yes I believe in the number detailed. However, they are of little value as a great number of the people wont even realise they have it. The data which really does matter is the hospitalization and death rate due solely to Covid and not with it.

Testing positive for Covid when you have fallen off the top of a 10 storie building and died is not justification to consider it a Covid death.

• Like 1

Never did.

The perogitive is to report ridiculously low numbers to attract tourists and make look as though the Thai government actually wasn't culpable in the lousy handling of the continuing COVID debacle.

In a word 'no'.

Where infection is rife, daily/weekly confirmed cases merely represent the number of tests being conducted.

More enlightened countries with the expertise, resources, and the will to do so, will instead conduct random community sampling, which often reveals eye wateringly high numbers.

In my opinion, it is just my opinion, where covid 19 is concerned and especially regarding Omicron, daily confirmed case numbers falsely represent the severity of the disease and if wildly inaccurate they undermine public confidence in the authorities.  Best ditched. Note though, intubations and deaths are a reality. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The unbelievable part is Thailand's inability to bring the numbers down. 

The price a nation pays for having a failed health minister who talks far more than he acts? 

I guess the extreme masking is not helping. 

But numbers can only really be bought down by lockdowns/restrictions of various degrees. Are you for them?

Ergo, most governments instead plump for mass vaccination to limit the severity of infections, and carry on that way.

Unfortunately, Thailand has to date rather failed its older generations in this respect imo.

This is not the what the article is about, but AN need to proof read what they publish if they include paragraphs like this,

"Naturally, Thailand is a bigger country at 513,120m2 compared to Vietnam at 331,690m2."

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The unbelievable part is Thailand's inability to bring the numbers down. 

The price a nation pays for having a failed health minister who talks far more than he acts? 

I guess the extreme masking is not helping. 

Thailand's numbers will come down (significantly) once most people have become infected - not 30%, not 50%....most. 

8 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

More enlightened countries with the expertise, resources, and the will to do so, will instead conduct random community sampling, which often reveals eye wateringly high numbers.

For some time now, Thailand has effectively been doing hardly any general outreach testing for COVID... So, the test results they get and report tend to be people who already have some kind of health issue.

This was today's 7-day average COVID test result positivity rate from MoPH:

Screenshot_5.jpg.0182af81a9d80190d1c1c29e14efe641.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

• Like 2

Plenty of cases now in our village. Some are reporting ( mostly the store owners who fear not reporting could lead to trouble ) and some not reporting. For those with only mild symptoms....mums the word. They just lay low for a week until a home administered test comes up negative. 

Not surprising. The village found an unused warehouse and have stuck a sign on it saying ' Covid 19 quarantine station. Made of brick with corrugated steel walls and roof and no toilet facility. Good luck getting anybody with two legs into that.

Do people believe the official figures ?  Most pay no attention to them at all.

As far as we know in our family no covid, but equally no testing either thank you. Waited for 18 months to get free Pfizer shots - thank you America but no thanks to Anutin. Paid for Moderna for my wife, she would "get her shots in about 3 weeks and we'll text you." Total bollux, after 8 months started phone daily making a real nuisance, finally in desperation hospital agreed to vax her last week as she and her two sisters were driving them crazy. So now all 3 had 1st Moderna shot, and two of them got quite ill afterwards, sister with high fever, wife with pain in arm, chest etc lasting almost 2 weeks.

Almost a case of the cure is worse than the illness! 

But we would NOT report covid, nor submit to testing, for me it would be costly and cannot spare that kind of money, and for family being forcibly incarcerated on a cardboard bed holds no attraction either so government reaction to covid is responsible for any concealment of infection.

• Thanks 1

To be honest I take all government statistics, whatever the subject, with several large pinches of rock salt - my own government's statistics included. After all, they are published to justify whatever the particular policy or intention that Government wishes to follow.

Just about every set of statistics I have seen published here are simply incredible, no matter what they refer to.

So no, I don't believe them.

I believe the reported numbers are accurate according to the self-imposed government rules, namely;

1) only count the really sick people with positive PCR results in the hospital,

2) limit PCR testing to 50,000/day,

3) never count antigen positive results,

4) double test, count and publicize every farang with any trace of COVID, even if a false positive from sample contamination,

5) don't work too hard on the weekends,

6) never proactively randomly test for COVID to determine clusters,

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY REMEMBER

Anutin has everything under control.

• Like 2

Two bullets with which you shoot once:
- left from the rabbit and once
- right form the rabbit
Statistically, the rabbit is shot now. 

You're welcome and stay tuned for the next infoline on governmental announcements, statistics, predictions and plans .........