Banged up in paradise: how our dream holiday to Thailand ended before it began

webfact

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, bet he would have had a great time without her.

Yeah, once she started mentioning yoga and "wellness" resorts.

The next you'll know she'll be suggesting all the different temples and cooking classses they can go to.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Sadly when the rest of the world accepts Covid like the Flue and you can come and go Thailand still insists on severe restrictions as far as I am concerned it’s a money making scheme and nothing else 

It's loosing the country  billions- its not making money

Just now, hotchilli said:

For choosing Thailand for their dream holiday when there was a good chance of getting banged up.

So many other safer choices.

It's rather vindictive to make such a comment.. They did nothing wrong at all. We use serves you right to target people who have done bad things and then experience misfortune as a kind of karmic balance.

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Most married couples are not sex tourists and are faithful. 

And some are definitely not.  What is your point using "most" based on? I could say many are definitely not as well.  The point he made is very true.  

Not sure when exactly this happened but it's not this strict anymore. I returned to Thailand last Saturday and barely noticed any covid measures. No white suits awaited us at the airport. We just had an extra document check to make sure everything was in order. A standard private hotel taxi picked me up. The check-in procedure in the hotel was standard. I just waited among all the other guests. Of course they did a nasal swab but that was that. I even went out to grab a bite at the nearest food court. Next morning the test came back negative and I went home. I had to ask for the antigen test kit for my day 5 home test. Otherwise they definitely wouldn't have given me one. And when I asked where I have to submit the result they just smiled and answered I don't have to.

This article surely is a bit of a horror story but as it is now there's really nothing to worry about. My local insurance broker also informed me that people who test positive without symptoms can isolate at home now so they stopped offering their special Thai covid policy.

So that's that I guess. I paid quite a bit of money to reenter the country. They don't care anymore about public health. It's just a money making machine now. In that light it makes a lot of sense they scrapped the preflight covid test.

Oh and that antigen test kit the hotel gave me turns out to be incomplete. The test strip is missing. Go figure..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's rather vindictive to make such a comment.. They did nothing wrong at all. We use serves you right to target people who have done bad things and then experience misfortune as a kind of karmic balance.

Ukraine is a beautiful country.... would you go there right now for a holiday?

Thailand is a beautiful country, but they chose the wrong moment to come,

Timing is everything.

Better to have waited until all the testing was dropped, and it's not about hindsight, just smart thinking.

They didn't tell the whole story:

Couple arrived at hotel. Man, quite handsome and his other half... well.
The testing crew pity him and had a plan. She tested positive, locked up and he, free like a bird to explore the beauty of the ladies of the night where everyone is just handsome.

• Confused 1

They knew the risks but seems they could not accept them.  Tough luck, but I have little sympathy for their complaint the current rules and process here are very clear.  Come at your own risk.

To add, who knows what they did prior to boarding the flight.  Did they put themselves into risky situations and not take recommended precautions to help insure their health? 

Edited by bkk6060

really have to wonjder how stupid people are to travel during covid when they know that if they test positive they will be isolated, the fault lies fully with them for their total ignorance of the possibilities. I know a person that decided to travel to several countries during the same period as this and ended up in Cuba where she tested positive for covid, she then started to whinge about it when she was the one that ignored the fact that covid was more prevalent in third world countries. Only  total drop kicks would even think about travelling to other countries that have the testing etc like Thailand during a pandemic then having a whinge when they were found to have covid, should have thought more about it before travelling

• Like 2

Everyone should do a pre flight PCR test.   The cost is minimal in the real world (for example in Indonesia a PCR test is 500 baht equivalent and the result comes back 6 to 12 hours later).

Do a test, 24 hours before flight and you "should" be ok......... if its negative you will test negative on arrival as well.  Incubation time is 48 to 72 hours for Omicron.........so provided you are PCR negative 24 hours before your flight you should be negative on arrival.

If you want to be a cheap charlie and not test before your flight.....then you run the risk of a positive on arrival result.

Whats better for cost saving ?  Do a test before your flight and then, if positive, delay your flight and hotel...........or dont do a test and be positive on arrival and locked up for 10 days.

False economy not testing before your flight.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Excel said:

Well whilst I can understand their concerns I can not understand the naivety, stupidity, ignorance of the facts -call it what you will, in coming to Thailand in the first place. If they bothered to read the news, the thousands of reports on the internet then they would have clearly understood the risks that they may have encountered coming to Thailand under the current governments scams into enticing tourists. Don't start complaining when the facts were there for them to read in the first place.

Regardless of where you go or when there are always risks and given the vaccinations, negative pre flight tests and avoiding risky situations as much as possible the chances of this happening must be low. One of them could just as easily have caught something else other than covid. A bad bout of flu wouldn't need quarantine but it child run s holiday.

13 minutes ago, Oracle2022 said:

Everyone should do a pre flight PCR test.   The cost is minimal in the real world (for example in Indonesia a PCR test is 500 baht equivalent and the result comes back 6 to 12 hours later).

Do a test, 24 hours before flight and you "should" be ok......... if its negative you will test negative on arrival as well.  Incubation time is 48 to 72 hours for Omicron.........so provided you are PCR negative 24 hours before your flight you should be negative on arrival.

If you want to be a cheap charlie and not test before your flight.....then you run the risk of a positive on arrival result.

Whats better for cost saving ?  Do a test before your flight and then, if positive, delay your flight and hotel...........or dont do a test and be positive on arrival and locked up for 10 days.

I think the Thai's were isolating people if anybody in your group was positive. That could mean in the shuttle to the hotel, in the economy section, the exact criteria seems vague. Are they still doing that?

That puts your chances way up for isolation.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

For choosing Thailand for their dream holiday when there was a good chance of getting banged up.

So many other safer choices.

I don't know the figures but I doubt there's a 'good chance of getting banged up'.

30 minutes ago, Oracle2022 said:

ser, Indonesia is not the 'real world' ????

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So many people on the other side of the world are ignorant of what is happening here. The daily Covid deaths are still rising, the infection numbers are at the highest ever.... (hopefully peaked, but Songkran likely will produce more) and we see masks being worn quite frequently and religiously by Thais. There is still a fear of Covid in the air. 

When I see the Pattaya tourists strutting about maskless (and often shirtless), I can see why many Thais would not want them here. 

Record daily cases in the UK, Germany, and most other countries in Europe...the WHO has said they lifted their Covid-19 restrictions too soon.

• Like 2

I wonder how much extra costs this incurred to be forcefully quarantined in the 'Hospitel'?  No insurance will cover this.  The husband departing would have saved additional costs as extra meals, tests, observations etc charged by them.  Plus if the husband tested positive a few extra days after his wife then I am guessing a possible restart the quarantine clock for the wife?  

• Like 1

Odds were very much in their favour . They rolled the dice and lost. That’s Just Life. Western pre- flight negative tests should be sufficient as of higher standard than same test here. The day 1 & 5 tests here should have been trashed not pre- flight. Then everyone guaranteed to start their planned holiday. Thai Govt stupidity boundless.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

they should have gone to the med or just about anywhere else, most sensible countries have now lifted restrictions why on earth would you come here

Fair point. I have changed tickets from  February to May and now June. Can't change it more. Hope they get rid of the rules for 1 June but if not I might still take a punt. I like Thailand, and other options don't seem so good, coming from Australia in June. 

I am a bit sympathetic because it is still not clear what the options are if positive e.g. your choice or their choice of hotel, hospitel, likely cost, etc. But they took a punt and have to cop it. 

I just tell all Friends and Family to go spend their money in other countries until all the silly rules here are dropped once and for all.   They are losing Billions and will continue to lose more until they kick all the nonsence into touch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Odds were very much in their favour . They rolled the dice and lost. That’s Just Life. Western pre- flight negative tests should be sufficient as of higher standard than same test here. The day 1 & 5 tests here should have been trashed not pre- flight. Then everyone guaranteed to start their planned holiday. Thai Govt stupidity boundless.

One can improve the odds of not getting banged up by doing extra self testing.

Last time I came to Phuket late February I did the required pre flight PCR test, then did ATK test just before going to the airport. If the ATK test was positive I would have cancelled the flight. Then on the day 5 in Phuket I did extra ATK test again, prior to the PCR test. If positive it would have given me time to check what my options were and could possibly negotiate something with the hotel.

The ATK tests are just a couple of bucks, but give extended time to sort out any expected positive test issues.