Wall collapses at unopened new terminal at Don Mueang

webfact

5 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Yesterday's storms weren't particularly violent, even by Bangkok standards - there's no reason that structure should have sustained any damage at all.

The storms were isolated in a sense. Came from the east which is rare. I live in Don Muang and its the first time in  23 years my muban flooded.  It did drain in just a few hours, but it was one hell of a 2 hour downpour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Built to Thai Standard 001 as usual !

Actually Thai civil and structural engineering standards are on apar with many others in the world. The weak point is not the engineering rather the construction when corruption in the form of kick-backs to turn a blind eye and stage approval or simply shaving of 30% of the budget means awarding contracts to poor construction companies is almost always the course of such failures. Of course I have no doubt a junior engineer will be highlighted to be at fault as clearly the corrupt money takers could never be. Now given Don Mueng is jointly owned by the government and the Royal Thai Airforce I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to whether corruption could have played a part in this collapse.

• Like 2

A rather distanced wall story. Indulge my memories. My Father was a welder for decades after serving as an Aviation Metalsmith just following WW II. He (and I on one project) worked for a friend's construction company. A new building's walls went up with the steel superstructure. A storm with high winds blew in and down went the wall. Everyone of Dad's welds held but the mountings snapped the bolts from stress. The company owner said Dad was the only welder whose work he could count on being solid.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, internationalism said:

not only that wall, but also a roof of a newly build bus terminal.

"At Bangkok’s Don Muaeng airport, the roof of a new bus terminal was blown off and a wall collapsed during heavy rain yesterday. There were no injuries reported as the newly-completed bus terminal was yet to open."

Is this the one that is said to replace Morchit.? 

18 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

Happens in Europe too - remember the collapse of part of the new terminal building 2E at Charles De Gaulle Airport in 2004, killing two passengers? And there was no bad weather - simply poor design/engineering.

No I don't remember that but that's a quality bit of whataboutery. 

Thanks for taking the time to research.

7/10

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2022 at 10:08 AM, khunjeff said:

Yesterday's storms weren't particularly violent, even by Bangkok standards - there's no reason that structure should have sustained any damage at all.

There is if it is poorly constructed. I have no idea about this one but it wouldnt suggest it was a strong structure

Another reason why I don't trust any structure built here. 

Like I always say when something like this happens - I always give a good push or pull on anything I'm about to risk my life on/near. 

Even our rented home - built to higher standards than most houses old and new here - was swaying from side to side when an excavator was pushing mud around 50 metres away ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaiDong said:

Another reason why I don't trust any structure built here. 

Like I always say when something like this happens - I always give a good push or pull on anything I'm about to risk my life on/near. 

Even our rented home - built to higher standards than most houses old and new here - was swaying from side to side when an excavator was pushing mud around 50 metres away ????

Tell me and I'm sure others would similarly be interested, how do you give " a good push or pull on anything I'm about to risk my life on/near" such as an airplane whilst boarding ? Do you skip off and away from the air bridge , avoiding security, to give the nose wheel a right tug or perhaps you nip to the back to grab the tale ?  How about boats and trains ? come on tell us how you do it to ensure your safety and please pass on that knowledge to assist others here.

14 minutes ago, Excel said:

Tell me and I'm sure others would similarly be interested, how do you give " a good push or pull on anything I'm about to risk my life on/near" such as an airplane whilst boarding ? Do you skip off and away from the air bridge , avoiding security, to give the nose wheel a right tug or perhaps you nip to the back to grab the tale ?  How about boats and trains ? come on tell us how you do it to ensure your safety and please pass on that knowledge to assist others here.

I obviously don't mean aircfraft noses and tails, I mean railings and ledges etc.

There's always one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

I obviously don't mean aircfraft noses and tails, I mean railings and ledges etc.

There's always one.

You mean always one that collapses ? So what do you do when you give a railing a good shake and it collapses ? Or how many ledges do you access to check their security ? isn't height a safety risk for you or do you wear a full harness, not secured to any railings obviously  ? ????

• Confused 1

Blame the Burmese or Cambodian workers - as the record goes, Thais are superior and this f"*k-up was certainly not on a Thai script! 
On a more sombre note I guess that the construction order was awarded to a company in Don Meuang, which subcontracted someone in Buriram who, in turn, subcontracted another fellow in Mae Hong Son. The work ultimately was done by some illegal alien workers and that contractor got something like 50% of the original total payment - that's how things normally work! 

• Like 2

Just now, Sydebolle said:

Blame the Burmese or Cambodian workers - as the record goes, Thais are superior and this f"*k-up was certainly not on a Thai script! 
On a more sombre note I guess that the construction order was awarded to a company in Don Meuang, which subcontracted someone in Buriram who, in turn, subcontracted another fellow in Mae Hong Son. The work ultimately was done by some illegal alien workers and that contractor got something like 50% of the original total payment - that's how things normally work! 

Agree with what you say in principle although that final %  is a bit upper bound I would suggest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Excel said:

You mean always one that collapses ? So what do you do when you give a railing a good shake and it collapses ? Or how many ledges do you access to check their security ? isn't height a safety risk for you or do you wear a full harness, not secured to any railings obviously  ? ????

Just in case you didn't understand - there's always one like you. 

• Like 1