Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

6 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

Nonsense> Been here for years and know of know one upset at farang.. When I go shopping it is common to see some kid look at me like i am, from mars .never saw farang before .I give a big smile point to myself and say farang. The mothers always laugh.

Oh dear, this is a racial word. 

My gran used to call my friend 'golliwog' as she had never known a black person, growing up in 1920s Scotland Western Isles. She was not being racist, just this is all she knew. This is like older Thais calling me farang when I am there. 

Your example is akin to my friend pointing at himself and saying golliwog. 

Or its like my wife, Indian/Thai, pointing at herself saying "kaek". 

Learn Thai and learn. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When using 'farang', Thais use  'mun'(it).  They never say 'khon farang' but do with Asians, ie khon Jeen or Khon Yeepun

You are right, and not quite right, here .....they do use khon with western  nationalities, ie khon angrit.

But they don’t use it like they do with groups of people such as khon  Asian, khon apfrigaa (Asians, Africans). I do find that disuse of the honorific “khon” a bit disrespectful . (And if the urban legend that the word originates from farangset (French) I would be more offended....what me ? French? )

I did once ask my Thai language teacher why they don’t say khon farang and she got upset with me for asking. As the only Caucasian in the class, with 2 Koreans and 2 Japanese, I got upset with her when talking about food she would ask the others “what would Koreans/Japanese eat” then ask me “what do farang eat?”.

For heavens sake, you went to university, you should know that there are many different farang countries, cultures and languages, and you know where I come from so why not say what do Australians eat ?

That use of farang is just rude laziness!

• Like 2

Where I live in a relaxed small village the Thai kids especially, and the adults call me a Falang. Any ex-pat in Thailand that doesn't like being called a Falang has not learned to sabai sabai.????????555

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

I would think the only people offended by being called an American are Canadians....555

When in the UK, I once asked a New Zealand nurse if she was Australian (because of her accent).

Oh boy. You should have seen the look she gave me. I think I was lucky to get treated after that.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

It makes the locals smile when I meet up for a coffee with a mate and when he walks in I say " Sawasdee khap ferlung ".

They smile because they ain't got a clue of which language you are trying to speak ????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Damn! Has it already been two weeks since this question had been raised? - I was scrolling up and down every day, frantically looking for a new post, asking the same old question over and over again, but, alas, I haven't seen one for a few days now... Please make sure to post another topic with the same repetitive (and boring) question at least once a week, so that we know that some folks worry about nothing else all day but other people's feelings.

Well, must be silly season... ????

Perhaps someone could post the topic: "Do Thais like rice, and if they do, how often do they eat it?"

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 2

It does not offend me in general... They can do and say as they like in their country.

If it does to some here......Just remind them, who has is spending the money in their Nation. ....Often to support them.

It got my goat once in my own country England.

Staff in a Thai Restaurant word using word in deprecatory terms in my presence and hearing.

Not sure what scared them more as they fled outback to the kitchen.

Thtt I could understand them.

or that I made a firm retort in their language.

Suffice to say... I did not use any expletives, include the words head... yellow.....  or slope.

Game Set and Match "Farrang Angreet".

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Why are foreigners so offended when Thais call them farang? Is it really that offensive of a word when it doesn’t really have any negative connotation and is just a label for a group of people.

Yes it is offensive, just like the term Aliens from immigration... were not from another planet just another country.

But the "connotation" is we do not belong, we are from somewhere else.

While the rest of the world see all people as equals and therefore address them as such, Thailand is still in the past where we have to be labelled as an outsider.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

There, nailed it.

It's not the word "farang" itself that is offensive, it's the fact they are not even trying to remember our names or trying to do any efforts, that I find offensive.

The folks in my neighbourhood know and remember my name. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MikeN said:

For heavens sake, you went to university, you should know that there are many different farang countries, cultures and languages, and you know where I come from so why not say what do Australians eat ?

That use of farang is just rude laziness!

They don't teach geography at university. 

How many from US know where Taiwan is? 

It's not laziness, she probably, like most Thai, just doesn't like farang. 

Big mistake is the sanook pumpui farang who feels like a rockstar, thinking all Thais love farang. 

• Thanks 2

When I first started spending time in Thailand I was told by a Thai the word Farang supposedly was an offensive word used by some locals. If it is actually offensive doesn't make it okay just because everyone uses it. I actually don't mind being called farang. Just like a black person calling me a cracker or honky (which has never happened except maybe behind my back) I find it a bit funny and even call my self that on a rare occasion. I guess a persons level of offense depends on the tone in which it was used.

5 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Farang means all Foreigners regardless of race, creed, color, religion, etc.   So why be offended?  It's a word for everyone.  I'd rather be called a Farang than a Foreigner or Alien.  But, as others have  mentioned above, it's the way it is said, the tone.  

From what I understand, Farang means white foreigner. if you are black for example you are called a negro, or chocolate!

Indians are Indians and Chinese are Chinese!

5 minutes ago, barney42bb said:

It does not offend me in general... They can do and say as they like in their country.

If it does to some here......Just remind them, who has is spending the money in their Nation. ....Often to support them.

It got my goat once in my own country England.

Staff in a Thai Restaurant word using word in deprecatory terms in my presence and hearing.

Not sure what scared them more as they fled outback to the kitchen.

Thtt I could understand them.

or that I made a firm retort in their language.

Suffice to say... I did not use any expletives, include the words head... yellow.....  or slope.

Game Set and Match "Farrang Angreet".

You might have misheard them. 

What exactly did they say? 

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Who's offended?

No one I know.

Should I be?

Time for a poll? Simple, up or down.

Some one is desperate for a story, what nonsense , here's some useful knowledge- The Samoan word for of white skin is Palangi , (pronounced Palungi) the NZ word is Pakeha , the word is similar in other Asian countries and throughout the pacific.

So the word comes from Asian languages and does not offend me or any person I have ever known in Thailand, I am not offended by Pakeha and I lived in Samoa for one year and was not offended by Palangi, what a load of nonsense.

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I'm more offended by someone telling me I shouldn't be offended by something that might offend me!

Frankly, I find it offensive that you would tell us that you would be offended by someone telling you that you shouldn't be offended by something that might offend you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

From what I understand, Farang means white foreigner. if you are black for example you are called a negro, or chocolate!

Indians are Indians and Chinese are Chinese!

I like being called an Alien.   

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It doesn't actually, it means 'whitey'. 

not really, it just means farang... 

and if you wear a couple of heavy gold necklaces, it means handsome...

though if you wear bitcoin necklaces, nobody seems to notice...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Alien is used for Thais in the USA. 

In Thailand I always assumed 'alien' was a translation error.

Person from another star (ดาว), and person from another country (ด้าว) only have one accent different in written Thai.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

not really, it just means farang... 

and if you wear a couple of heavy gold necklaces, it means handsome...

though if you wear bitcoin necklaces, nobody seems to notice...

40% of Thais own crypto, including my 80 year old mother in law. . 

Edited by Neeranam