Electric Vehicles in Thailand

23 hours ago, tomkenet said:

For many people It is not about getting from a to b without issues. It's about enjoying insane acceleration and performance.  Why do you think people pay big money to upgrade from a 4 cylinders v8 motor on the same car. 

That's fine & dandy, if you want to look like & sound like you are driving a performance car.  Then by all means, pimp out your ICE car.

But if actually wanting to drive a better performing car, suggest an EV.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, matchar said:

I think the answer depends on your gender....I mean look at the choice of colours on the Dolphin for a start.

Living in SEA/Asia, I've forgotten all about the western manly thinking.  Actually bought a red car, something no real man would do in the USA, as aka/girl's car color ????

At first thought it strange, but really warming up to the colors of the EVs I've noticed lately, except orange, and that being one of my favorite 'drone' & MB colors, but not for a car.

Completely different from what you'd see for the USA market.

Different shades of cream, blue, green, all pretty cool.   Actually wish we had more choices for our MG ZS.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, matchar said:

I think the answer depends on your gender....I mean look at the choice of colours on the Dolphin for a start.

I resemble that remark!

I love pink on a car, especially the Nissan metallic pink.  In my early 20's I had a car in metallic salmon with an olive leather interior, more orange than pink, those were the days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Living in SEA/Asia, I've forgotten all about the western manly thinking.  Actually bought a red car, something no real man would do in the USA, as aka/girl's car color ????

At first thought it strange, but really warming up to the colors of the EVs I've noticed lately, except orange, and that being one of my favorite 'drone' & MB colors, but not for a car.

Completely different from what you'd see for the USA market.

Different shades of cream, blue, green, all pretty cool.   Actually wish we had more choices for our MG ZS.

It's not just the colours on the dolphin (pink, purple and cream) but the shape of the car is not very sporty at all.

I like red cars but that isn't available on the dolphin. Grey is the only colour available that looks alright but I much prefer the look of the MG 4.

4 minutes ago, matchar said:

It's not just the colours on the dolphin (pink, purple and cream) but the shape of the car is not very sporty at all.

I like red cars but that isn't available on the dolphin. Grey is the only colour available that looks alright but I much prefer the look of the MG 4.

Everything is designed for aerodynamics now, and why most cars are pretty much the same looking, shape wise.  

One think I like about our ZS, at first thought, ugly grill, or lack of, any contrast.  Now quite like the uniqueness of it.

Remember having the Vios & Mazda2, and at mall parking lots, everything looks the same.   Without brand emblem you'd never find your car.

Liking all the diverse colors now.

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

MG 4 or BYD Dolphin?

IMG_0994.thumb.jpeg.3155b1d13d1fd2850ed5ec13f7bcd6fa.jpeg

IMG_0993.thumb.png.c82f0835d76bee898ac81d1e8d28567f.png

MG4:

Battery Type
Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
Maximum Power (PS (Kilowatt)) 170 (125) Model X (Model D)
Maximum Torque (Newton – Metres) 250
Battery Capacity (Kilowatt – Hour) 51
Maximum Range (NEDC Mode) Kilometres 425

0-100 km/h 8.6 s

BYD Dolphin:

Maximum distance 410 km

0-100 km/h 12.3 s

70 kW Motor

Battery LFP 44.9 kWh

EV charger. AC type 2 / DC CCS 2 (60 kW)

BYD now has 46 dealerships in Thailand:

https://www.reverautomotive.com/en/locator/dealer-station

MG has far more

https://www.mgcars.com/en/Dealer

IMG_0995.thumb.jpeg.14c45b463b6bfc8e4fdc6fc222738d14.jpeg

I'd definitely would opt for the MG4. Not because I own one and I'm super happy with it.

I've done extensive research before my decision, which was buy either Atto 3 or MG 4.

My GF helped me with searching also Thai reviews and FB groups. 

Main issue about BYD is the lack of dealer network and situation with spare parts in the country.

But to me the test drive really made a difference and the impetus to buy the MG4.

So do the test drive and choose which car you like more.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, CLW said:

I'd definitely would opt for the MG4. Not because I own one and I'm super happy with it.

I've done extensive research before my decision, which was buy either Atto 3 or MG 4.

My GF helped me with searching also Thai reviews and FB groups. 

Main issue about BYD is the lack of dealer network and situation with spare parts in the country.

But to me the test drive really made a difference and the impetus to buy the MG4.

So do the test drive and choose which car you like more.

All 3 cars are in different categorise so it’s not right to compare them directly.

Atto 3 is a class B/C suv, MG more of a crossover and the Dolphin is a hatchback. MG is arguably the best looking but the font on the infotainment system is really small and I would struggle to read it, especially while driving. I’m also concerned about the rather buggy and unrefined software although I feel it’s the best driving car.

Atto 3 at 1.1 - 1.2 million, MG at 900+k and Dolphin rumoured to be 700k. All 3 with V2L (although if you want the MG adaptor, it costs an additional 8,000 baht), LFP batteries with the BYD using their proprietary blade technology.

Based on the above, I feel the right choice for me is the Dolphin as I already have the Haval H6 PHEV which is a C segment SUV.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

You can get a V2L adaptor on Lazada for 810 baht, I bought one and it works great.

Unless having a power oops at the house, and using for the frigs, I really can't see ever using our V2L.  I used it once, as a tester, but unless in the middle of nowhere, and actually have an appliance / water kettle to plug into it, for maybe a roadside coffee with a view, not really seeing a practical use for it.

Live in the sticks and have farm land without power, might come in handy.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Unless having a power oops at the house, and using for the frigs, I really can't see ever using our V2L.  I used it once, as a tester, but unless in the middle of nowhere, and actually have an appliance / water kettle to plug into it, for maybe a roadside coffee with a view, not really seeing a practical use for it.

Live in the sticks and have farm land without power, might come in handy.

Same here, I used it once to test it, now it stays in the glove box, mine is very small with a socket on the back of the plug, it's also rated at 3.3Kw because there is no cable or lower rated sockets on the end, in the UK they have tested it and the car will give over 6Kw.

Regarding fonts on the MG4, the only font I struggle with is what music is playing, but you can select to have it larger text on the speedo display, likewise the Climate Control.  Generally, I find it best not to try and use the infotainment system when you're driving, most things can be accessed from the steering wheel and shown on the speedo.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Did brief test drive of C40. A few issues but impressive(an older design has some benefits). Acceleration was nuts

About EX30, this model launches in September. Two models, no info on top line one but probably a standard and LR model. Price starts at around 1.5m

Edited by firefly17
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, macahoom said:

The souped-up MG4 is coming soon. Will it be available in Thailand?

“0-62mph time will be 3.8 seconds”

Yikes!

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mg/mg4/360459/mg4-xpower-electric-hot-hatch-come-429bhp

I’m a bit disappointed it’s one big motor and not four-wheel-drive. It currently can’t get all its power down, and it’s not unusual for the traction control to come in and out three times up to about 50 or 60 km/hr, and that is in the dry. I hope they’ve done something to help get the power down.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tomkenet said:

With that much power on the rear wheels there will be very little weight on the front wheels anyway.

Just like a superbike wheeling.

You just have to lean forward ????

It’s currently a 50-50 weight distribution, so I should imagine with a heavier motor. That’s going to increase the weight on the back and decrease the weight on the front.

They’re going to have to be fitting much better wheels and tires to get that power down.

I hope they still use LFP batteries as they are much more suited to hot climates.

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I’m a bit disappointed it’s one big motor and not four-wheel-drive. It currently can’t get all its power down, and it’s not unusual for the traction control to come in and out three times up to about 50 or 60 km/hr, and that is in the dry. I hope they’ve done something to help get the power down.

I've been reading that Auto Express have got it wrong and it actually is 4 wheel drive.

It has to be, really!

• Like 2

Rumours abound on the Dolphin price here in Thailand.

The Dolphin Australia price release at AUS$100 less than the MG4 Australia release has fuelled much speculation that BYD are pricing their cars to suit the competition !!

Latest here is that the standard range version will be just less than 700k , great news for those already willing to pay the advertised 800k.

A proposed price hike for the Neta V would be bad timing if Dolphin drops that low.

The extended range version is rumoured to be around 850/890k mark .

With the same hp , torque and battery ( 60 kWh ) as the Atto 3 this will come as some surprise as it means you can get basically an Atto 3 ( okay, a smaller boot, slimmer body and losing a little on looks ?) for a good deal less. Great news for those burdened by renditions of 3 string Smoke on the Water from the rear seats or those who preferred Atto 3 to MG4 but felt the extra baht just too much.

Could BYD reduce the Atto 3 price here in Thailand ??, well it could be done but at risk of peeing off the 1000’s who already shelled out 1.2 mill !!

https://autolifethailand.tv/unofficial-price-byd-dolphin-ev-bev-thailand-rever/

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

As we took delivery of our little Neta V 10 days ago I thought it time to try out a nearby charging point as so far we've relied on the emergency home charger cable.

One of the nearest to us is at the PEA near Robinson Kanchanaburi. App is easily installed but I don't like all of the personal info required with it. Money is easily uploaded to the wallet and we were of on our trip to town. First surprise it that there is only one charger on site and that one is only a slow 25kwh that charged our vehicle at 1% per minute. After 25 minutes wifey was bored so we cut it short and headed for lunch. Stats gained from the first charging point experience was that 92kms cost me 62bht...it would have cost about 230bht in my Triton.

First impressions of the Neta is that it's a perfect car for the 120km per day school run. I charge back up to 80ish % every other day. It's comfortable, quiet and fast enough for my needs and at 549k it's an absolute bargain.

IMG_20230628_122159_019.jpg

IMG_20230628_122131_878.jpg

@edwinchester thanks for the post. 

My MG came with a free 7kW wall charger as well as the 3kW mobile charging cable. Does Neta not give a 7kW charger?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1