Electric Vehicles in Thailand

Just now, KhunLA said:

Yes, some of these quotes are silly, and you need to shop around.

We got 3 quotes; ฿12k & ฿22k baht, and what we have ฿9,930

All about the same coverage.

Do you recall the names of the insurance companies for each quote?

I think we expect about a 20% premium over an equivalent ICE car.

I may have been wrong with EP+ insurance, it may have been 8,000 and something, we sold the car so I'm not sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

We are getting ready to pay of 3,000 for our Fortuner

That's also 8 years old :coffee1:

One for sale, also 2.8L

listings of ฿550k & up

image.png.1e7c85aefd07ef7ab57eb033456198a1.png

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Probably, but I know which one I would rather drive (I'll give you a clue, it's the fast, silent one).

Then you better be more alert regarding pedestrians stepping off the kerb...🤗

Fast cars with pipes save lives......😉

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think we expect about a 20% premium over an equivalent ICE car.

The EV insurance premium myth, if there ever was one, ended somewhat  "plausible".

The 20% premium EV owners pay is reasonable considering the higher performance of EV cars, but still a nice free tank of fuel ️ for ICE owners.

Registration numbers should be out over the next few days and again @Pib, please have a look for the Ciaz numbers if you have a chance.

Plausible+sign.jpg

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

That is quite funny, but it is fake. When we cut to "20 minutes later" the shadows haven't moved an iota so it is clearly 20 seconds later at best.

But still looks funny.

He is not the only one "pumping" power.

GPFnQpsWAAA2AV5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Keep a watchful eye on it.

GOz0xO6bgAA2SVi.jpeg

I can't fit in it, so it will be going back if I can fix it. Water killed it......😂

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2024 at 3:10 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

The EV insurance premium myth, if there ever was one, ended somewhat  "plausible".

The 20% premium EV owners pay is reasonable considering the higher performance of EV cars, but still a nice free tank of fuel ️ for ICE owners.

Registration numbers should be out over the next few days and again @Pib, please have a look for the Ciaz numbers if you have a chance.

Plausible+sign.jpg

Moved a bit closer to "Confirmed".

https://autolifethailand.tv/insurance-bev-2567/

However, because the amount of electric cars in Thailand is still in the beginning stages of growth and is still a new technology. As a result, repair costs and replacement parts costs when damage occurs to the vehicle are still 20-30% higher than normal cars on average. Therefore, although the price trend for electric vehicle insurance premiums in 2024 may gradually decrease, they may still be higher than insurance premiums. General cars in the same price range

I just saw this on EEVblog, an electronic channel with expert Dave Jones.

This might be useful information for here - but maybe it is common knowledge.

This EV "charger" has a setting that if you have solar cells, it only charges your car if you have excessive solar output.

The description of that part starts about 10:15 in the following video.

Disclaimer: I don't have an EV and no solar, but I am interested in electrics. This is how I found this video. Maybe some EV and solar power users here like it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

was the high insurance premiums on teslas still due to the previous gray-market imports with the full import tax and then the grey-dealers even had some parts in they imported themselves with very high markup

even if the owners of thai market teslas went to these dealers for parts like replacement windows due to the long wait from official tesla shops, this shouldn't affect insurance companies at all as they probably wouldn't approve repairs like that

it's been almost 2 years since Teslas start selling officially in Thailan, why's the insurance on teslas still high 

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

It appears that autolife has lost interest in EVs, so is there a chance that out two pillar of factual knowledge and defacto DLT data miners @Pib and @vinny41 can unveil registration numbers for May?

Due to 1st June falling on the weekend and Public holiday on Monday data upload has been delayed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Due to 1st June falling on the weekend and Public holiday on Monday data upload has been delayed

DLT is really slacking off this month. It is almost as if they are embarrassed to share the low EV registration numbers.

Meanwhile, let's learn something new.

FB_IMG_1717574222732.jpg

56 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

DLT is really slacking off this month. It is almost as if they are embarrassed to share the low EV registration numbers.

Meanwhile, let's learn something new.

FB_IMG_1717574222732.jpg

To keep the conductors cool?