We'll see you in court! Restaurant sends out raw chicken and pork steaks - then blames the customer

webfact

as a falang, nothing you can really do.

if under 100 baht, absolutely nothing.

under 200.....forget about it.

300 and under......maybe ask with a smile, then who cares.

between 500 - 1000.   depends, probably best to learn from the mistake or maybe ask for an exchange.  refund?  no way.  never getting cash back.  

then it gets tricky.     1000 - 5000.   have a Thai make one to two phone calls for you.  but it's just another lesson learned.   

5000 to 10,000.    it's all luck.   usually the more you spend, the better it is.  usually.    never had a problem buying stuff over 5000 baht (many times).   

50,000 and up.......not recommended unless it's like an Apple MacBook from Apple, etc.... only did it once.   actually the product didn't seem right, but I sold it a year later and I don't really remember losing much.   maybe a few thousand, which was fine.  edit:  did buy another thing for 42,000.  was great.  .  

Edited by Iamfalang

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just like the SeaView hotel in Koh Chang who sued the guy who left a poor report in TripAdvisor - who out of anyone who does their research when staying somewhere would ever stay at the SeaView hotel ?

To keep it real . the American guy didnt just leave a poor review of the hotel in Koh Chang , he filed numerous false reports using various fake names and he was making false allegations and writing things that were not true .

He didnt write a poor review, he conducted a long running campaign to give the hotel bad publicity  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Devil's Advocate in me wants to point out, one person's version of medium to well done, may not be what the other person considers 'cooked'.

They are talking about chicken and pork here.  There is no option for any degree of rare for either of these meats.  Undercooking is not an option.  Overcooked chicken can be like chewing shoe leather but lacks the fatality risk (providing your teeth can handle it).

8 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Raw chicken and raw pork, take your pick, can easily kill you over here. Where the bacteria grows at such a high rate. 

It's just as potentially lethal in the Arctic.

Childish and very very stupid for the restaurant to put up a challenge here, by not taking a 700b hit they smear their own name, and by playing it this way, well, just consulting a lawyer about it costs more than the check bin.  My guess is the person doing the cooking that day doesn't really know his/her stuff.

• Like 2

Being aged I do love cooking but it comes to a stage when cooking at home cost me more than buying on line, as you all know I live in the west now and I discovered a food supplier which cooks and delivered food for a fraction of what I would spend when I cook t home ,don't believe me? Of course this only applies to OZ residents. So the meal normally costs ist about 200 baht, I pay just 40 baht come one aussies challeng this, you just winge and complain about the government do it better, I am happy to live here

5 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Being aged I do love cooking but it comes to a stage when cooking at home cost me more than buying on line, as you all know I live in the west now and I discovered a food supplier which cooks and delivered food for a fraction of what I would spend when I cook t home ,don't believe me? Of course this only applies to OZ residents. So the meal normally costs ist about 200 baht, I pay just 40 baht come one aussies challeng this, you just winge and complain about the government do it better, I am happy to live here

Wrong topic? 

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

My father always told me ," The customer is always right ", 

even when they are not , and that's how i ran my business ,

if you lose a customer you lose money, and in this day and age with

the Internet even more important ,  the trouble is in this country

you cannot name and shame ,that's why they don't seem to care.

regards Worgeordie

Agree. Thais are not like this. Actually, most Asian companies are not like this. Asian companies protect their staff at customers' expense. Unless a customer is powerful.. It's an extension of clan style relationships. 

• Like 1

Many years ago I bought a bottle of Sprite from local corner shop,

took it home ,poured a glass and it was completely flat, had a slight

chemical taste, poured the glass back into bottle and took it back,

The shop owner ,said cannot change it ,you have opened it ....... yes

I had to open it to find out it was no good , that logic did not work,

really I am sure she could have just given it back to Coca Cola ,when

she had her next delivery, but no she would not change it , so she lost

a customer over 18 Thb , 

regards Worgeordie   sorry the way this has turned out  did not type it like this.......

Edited by worgeordie
correction
  • Like 1

At least if you're at the restaurant you can send under-cooked meat back to the kitchen (which I've had to do all too often here) - not so with home delivery, as per the OP. But I never give the restaurant a second chance after that.

Same happens here with pre-cooked foods like lasagne: all to often - burnt on the cornors, stone cold on the inside.

But for the defamation laws, I could give a list of all the sins committed by all my nearby restaurants.

In short, I mostly cook at home now.

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You're suggesting Thailand is a Buddhist country. It isn't, by any stretch of the imagination. Nowhere close. But we both know that ????

Last time I looked over 90% of the population identified as Buddhist. I know what you are saying. Practice of the principals and practice of the teachings, daily meditation, etc. is a tough one for most. Same can be said of the US and Europe. Are they Christian nations? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Last time I looked over 90% of the population identified as Buddhist. I know what you are saying. Practice of the principals and practice of the teachings, daily meditation, etc. is a tough one for most. Same can be said of the US and Europe. Are they Christian nations? 

Identifying and practising are very different things. And yes, name any religion and many will only adopt the parts that don't inconvenience them. 

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

My father always told me ," The customer is always right ", 

even when they are not , and that's how i ran my business ,

if you lose a customer you lose money, and in this day and age with

the Internet even more important ,  the trouble is in this country

you cannot name and shame ,that's why they don't seem to care.

regards Worgeordie

"...they..."  I've received poor quality food (expensive steaks, inedible) and poor service in a restaurant run by an onsite farang in CM.

I asked for the manager, farang came and was full of excuses and then the usual 'never mind, I'm sure it will be OK next time', and walked away. 

I asked the cashier, farangs wife, some some discount, she refused. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Identifying and practising are very different things. And yes, name any religion and many will only adopt the parts that don't inconvenience them. 

In an abstract sense you are correct. However, any demographic expert or social scientist would describe Thailand as a Buddhist nation. Though few practice it on a level with any kind of real depth and commitment, but since that applies to all nations, it can only be used as a philosophical argument. 

Edited by spidermike007

11 hours ago, bendejo said:

They are talking about chicken and pork here.  There is no option for any degree of rare for either of these meats.  Undercooking is not an option.  Overcooked chicken can be like chewing shoe leather but lacks the fatality risk (providing your teeth can handle it).

It's just as potentially lethal in the Arctic.

Childish and very very stupid for the restaurant to put up a challenge here, by not taking a 700b hit they smear their own name, and by playing it this way, well, just consulting a lawyer about it costs more than the check bin.  My guess is the person doing the cooking that day doesn't really know his/her stuff.

"Undercooking is not an option!" "It's just as potentially lethal in the Arctic."

Maybe not in Australia or US !

Australia has eliminated Trichinosis and it is quite trendy to eat undercooked pork here.

Is it done yet? | Australian Food Safety Week 2017 (safefood.qld.gov.au)

Also it is OK in US!

Is Pink Pork Safe to Eat? | Tasting Table

On 4/25/2022 at 11:52 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Just like the SeaView hotel in Koh Chang who sued the guy who left a poor report in TripAdvisor

The guy was a jerk and left multiple bogus reviews.

Glad he got banged up. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 12:16 PM, Myran said:

Weird, I've never even seen a stake made out of chicken and pork. I wonder if it's anything like a steak.

Even weirder, the word "stake" does not appear in the OP.

Edit: just seen that the title was edited.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Yes, but don't you get bored with that every day. :giggle:

abo - Copy.JPG

On 4/25/2022 at 11:52 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Just like the SeaView hotel in Koh Chang who sued the guy who left a poor report in TripAdvisor - who out of anyone who does their research when staying somewhere would ever stay at the SeaView hotel ?

Yeah, they fixed it by changing the name of their property, which is now SYLVAN Koh Chang. Maybe it is because when I stayed there I had booked a Sea View room, which turned out to be a Sea View obstructed by trees.

On 4/25/2022 at 4:19 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Does any positive news ever come out of Thailand? I can't remember any.

Does any positive news ever come out of anywhere? Bad news sells.

Except to me, I cancelled my media subscription in Australia because I was fed up with reading doom and gloom.

Instead, I bought a Netflix package for the same outlay.

7 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Yes, but don't you get bored with that every day. :giggle:

abo - Copy.JPG

Haven't seen witchetty grubs in years, used to feed them by hand to the kookaburras on my patio. They loved them.

At least they are cleaner than the frogs in my GF's village, that are grown in all the septic tank outfalls.

• Like 2

Lived in and around Thailand for 10 years, twice got food poisoning. Actually I feel lucky.

Once in the hospital for it. It ain't fun.

The rules to not be able to call them out on this is criminal IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1