Minister of Tourism and Sports visits Phuket to discuss making Phuket a “high value” tourism destination for quality tourists

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Minister of Tourism and Sports visited Phuket to deliver a Global GBAC Star and helped strategize with the authorities to turn Phuket into a high-value tourism destination for quality tourists.

????

Tourism and Sports, presided over a ceremony to deliver a GBAC Star or Global Biorisk Advisory Star to Phuket representatives and gave a speech about turning Phuket into a high-value tourism destination.

What the hell are we talking about was also on the agenda  ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Minister of Tourism and Sports visited Phuket to deliver a Global GBAC Star and helped strategize with the authorities to turn Phuket into a high-value tourism destination for quality tourists. 

Phipat to colleague.... 

"why is everyone sniggering"?

S__28410249-696x522.jpg.365faf2f1dede42d5b1ecea579f6430b.jpg

The continuous Governmental ( scrambling of how to gather 'high end folks' from ANYWHERE ), Local, Middle Eastern ( oil cash ) on a weekly basis, I think the Tourism sector is at 40% of the Thai GDP, not 12 - 15%     

• Like 2

From what I see for the most part,  Thailand doesn’t attract too much high quality anything unfortunately. 
Mainly tourists who don’t know how to behave.  And a lot of disgruntled expats who hate their home country.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Such stupid drivel. They say they want rich tourists. What sacrifices are the ministers willing to make, to get them? Rich tourists like to spend money when they travel. And they cannot do that here, as they do not like getting taken for a ride. Most wealthy people are smart with their money. Thailand could be making a fortune on a 25% luxury tax, instead of the 100% or more, which discourages most people from buying. How many people do you see in the luxury stores here? They are almost always completely empty. Inane. Beyond inane.

Some regressive nimwits do not understand basic economics. By reducing taxes you stimulate the economy. So, if Thailand reduces its punitive wine taxes and luxury taxes, they might be able to attract more of those rich tourists they keep droning on and on and on about. The rich are smart with their money. And not only do they enjoy a nice bottle of wine with dinner, their wives also love to spend alot of money on luxury goods while they vacation. Impossible here. Who would buy a Prada handbag for $12, 000 here, when you can get it for $4,800 in most world capitals? Same goes for wine. Who would spend $700 for a bottle of wine they could get for $125 at home.

It is referred to as self sabotage, or idiotic policy. An extreme lack of creativity forces retrograde politicians to become overly dependent on import taxes. Dumb and dumber. 

Are they addressing critical issues, like the air and water quality, traffic safety, public transportation on the southern islands, rapid rail transport, and the lack of law enforcement? No. Nothing, and I mean less than zero is being done.

These guys continue to occupy a self entitled dreamworld. Their gazillionaire status insures a total detachment from reality, facts, truth and practical concerns. 

There are a dozen good reasons why wealthy tourists AVOID Thailand. Do I need to repeat them again? Air quality, water quality, highway hazards, poor law enforcement, the lack of access to fine wine at fair prices (whether you drink fine wine or not, it is part of the lifestyle for most wealthy people), grossly exorbitant luxury taxes (every wealthy person I know loves to shop for luxury goods while on vacation, especially the wives!). I could go on. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

As "Spidermike" said, i can fully agree with him, I am not very rich, but I love to invite my friends to come over and get together, in EU we used to drink 2 or 3 bottles of a fair red wine, cost around 300Bht each (converted from local curency ) and eat crackers and cheese, 3 days ago, I was in Lotus here in Udorn and I tryed to calculate what that would have cost us: Wine not les than 3500 Bht, and cheese not less than 4000 Bht, my wife (Thai) used to visit the shops in Rome and Paris when we are traveling  buying new bags (I dont know why, she already has a lot) around $3000 all together the same cost around $8000 here. Tax on imported lux. are way too high to atract "rich" people. An other VERY annoying case is the infamous double pricing system, I can pay, byt when I see the double pricing sign , I am up in the red field.

Thailand has a lot to learn how to attract rich peolpe or Quality tourist, also the trafic here is terrible, I have a Thai driver licence since 2008 and in the past years I have noticed an increase i road death accidents, whereas in other developed countries it is decreasing what is wrong? is it the mentality and behaviour?

• Thanks 1

You could have tax refund at airport, so dont understand 100% lux tax then.

But for Phuket I would say, ban everybody over there and shut of island for only "quality tourists". Something like Palm islands in Dubai.

Break down all and make "quality" homes and resorts only for the rich.

Maybe i shoudnt say so, I might give them an idea, or this must be the idea already, fase one? If so then i hope when the island is full with "quality tourists", the  island will sink.

If you have a quality product, quality customers will come automatically. The word will spread.

If you don't, you'll have to 'lure', 'entrap' or downright cheat your customers, and your lucky run will be short-lived.

So easy really. 

• Like 1

Yes Thailand should forget about the normal people who work for a living, and when they

have extra money and some time off their jobs, they can afford to travel somewhere in the

world for 2 or 3 weeks vacation. A country that used to be Amazing, is still after the 

quality, or rich tourists.  Dream on  TAT minister.

• Haha 1