Thailand Pass to End for Thai Returnees First

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, hashmodha said:

Does anyone know if the returnees.... Example Expatriates with Retirement Visa like myself need the $10,000 Medical Insurance to re-enter Thailand?

Yes you do... and it should cover the period mentioned on the Re-Entry Permit. As an aside, my local Thai medical insurance claims to cover the  $10,000 Thailand pass requirement. 

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul should also propose the end of Thailand Pass registration for foreign returnees living and/or working here on various visas and with Multiple Re-entry visas.

What's the rationale for assuming differing Covid infection rates of fully-vaccinated returning Thais and fully-vaccinated returning foreign residents? There's always an undercurrent of discrimination against foreigners in Thailand. Here it is again. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

The only thing ThailandPass does is enforce an ongoing insurance scam, and last I checked, Thais have never needed to purchase supplemental COVID insurance to enter the kingdom. 

Ensuring that visitors to a country have adequate insurance is not only to be encouraged but should be mandatory.

Of course, the shambolic money grasping way the Thais run this is deplorable but hardly new. Nevertheless, millions of people come to Thailand every year thinking it is fine not to be insured. I would not let them travel.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's a simple ordering administration  exercise - nothing  to get hysterical  about at all. It's perfectly logical, rational and reasonable. Why do some people live here constantly seeking offence and slights as though their  whole physche is an open wound? Relax and  have a drink  and celebrate  things are getting better ...or move  to country that causes you less mental pain and stress.

Spot on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gearbox said:

Maybe it could be advantageous, but I can't see this happening. To the best of my knowledge no country would treat and repatriate you for free. That's where the travel insurance comes in. Surely  hundreds of thousands of dollars are rare cases, and many people may take the risk of traveling without insurance...I've done this quite a few times. But it does happen, look at the gofundme threads here.

I think everyone should have insurance of course, or be wealthy enough to provide evidence to prove ability to self- fund.  The only travel policies I have examined closely ( mine ) simply provide appropriate transport to the nearest facility where medically necessary treatment can be provided. In Thailand that  means an ambulance to a nearby hospital.  The provisions that discuss air transport are also loaded with exclusions and only cover transport to the closest location where the necessary treatment  is available. I used to fly 737 evacuation cases in economy class. 9 seats  blocked for a stretcher kit and one or two medical attendants.  Forget private jets that is a dream. Bangkok to Heathrow or Los Angeles could cost $150-175 thousand USD.

My friends who were "sick with covid" by arrival tests in Thailand were completely asymtomatic and forced into 10 day stays in hotels and hospital by the way. That seemed like overkill and probably not covered by travel insurance anyway. As you know most with Omicron suffer mild symptoms like a bad cold or flu. Remember during "Bird Flu" a certain exile PM now  promised free treatment to any tourist who caught it in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hashmodha said:

Does anyone know if the returnees.... Example Expatriates with Retirement Visa like myself need the $10,000 Medical Insurance to re-enter Thailand?

... yes, unfortunately, total waste of time & money, also duration of 30 days after arrival more than plenty for returning folks on extensions & re-entry permits ... see respective topic here:

1 hour ago, LoudHailer said:

There's always an undercurrent of discrimination against foreigners in Thailand. Here it is again. 

Of course there is discrimination, Thai nationals have the right of abode and foreigners don't.

Every country in the world discriminates between it's own citizens and foreigners.

Time to grow up.

4 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

Immaterial. Britain scrapped its remaining two-tier international travel restrictions on 18th March, and Thailand has not.

How childish.

Britain had over 160K covid deaths, you will be telling us next that Thailand must catch up.

Every country has the right to deal with the issues as they see fit. The pandemic was badly managed in the UK and now there is a multitude of excuses for the self inflicted problems.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Covid doesnt discriminates between Thai and a Falang unlike this guy. I am all for being a nationalistic but this kind of Xenophobia doesnt bode well for a country which runs on tourism.

Project much? I have direct personal in my face experience with real xenophobia and nationalism and racism. As in USA. The Thai people do not deserve your  accusation, and one wonders what is really behind your apparent need to vilify a culture who has the unquestionable right to conduct itself as it sees fit, according to their way of thinking, and not that of people like you, who are always playing the whining victims of Thai injustice. So to people like you, would you please stop whining and complaining, count your blessings, and how about  contributing to the betterment of Thailand and the Thai people who have welcomed you to their country? When you walk by the poor and homeless on the streets how much do you give? Or do you stop and complain to them about their country?

4 hours ago, Wake Up said:

I was forced to buy the LM Thailand insurance to get an extension of stay for my OA visa.  Could not leave Thailand easily to change to O visa. 

to my surprise I got heatstroke and had to go to the hospital to see a neurologist. I showed hospital my LM insurance.  When I checked out I paid 21 baht and LM paid the rest.  When I went back to the neurologist a second time I paid zero and LM paid the bill including prescriptions.   No claim forms no reimbursement just sign the bills at the hospital and LM took care of it. 

I have to say for all the bad you hear about health insurance companies, LM on the Thailand approved list actually does pay and makes it easy and most of the Bangkok hospitals are on their provider list.  

Hey bro, I really appreciate that info. Luckily I haven’t incurred any costs that I can’t afford, but also there is a $100 deductible for every visit, and a whole lot of paperwork to submit any claim. Thanks. I’m sure you helped a lot of people. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

How childish.

Britain had over 160K covid deaths, you will be telling us next that Thailand must catch up.

Every country has the right to deal with the issues as they see fit. The pandemic was badly managed in the UK and now there is a multitude of excuses for the self inflicted problems.

Apparently the elderly die in far greater numbers than the younger.

If only nobody lived into their 80's and beyond the UK numbers would have been so much 'better' ????

This is why there are countries in Africa where hardly anyone died of COVID, the average age of the population varies between countries of course but it can be as low as 18 in some places.

Edited by ukrules

22 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

When you see a headline like this you know it is to get the TVF populace in a froth and it never fails.

I don't like Anutin at all, let's get that out of the way.  But consider Thais are covered under the 30 baht health scheme and/or social security, tourists are not.  They are obviously going to do this in steps, next step (within a month is my bet) is that this requirement is done away with entirely for everyone.  Step by step. 

But really, think about it and don't just react to the headline, and explain to me......how is this xenophobic or racist?  It is the first step in withdrawing these requirements and Thais are covered for medical by their government already.  If you are a foreigner employed by a Thai (or foreign) company you are also covered under social security and don't need this insurance either.  Where is the racism there?  If, in a month or so, numbers still drop they will remove this for the rest I am sure.

If a Thai wants to travel to the Schengen zone as part of their visa application they need to prove they have €30k medical insurance cover, EU citizens do not.  Is this racist?  Please answer me that.  And is this an "insurance scam" as everyone on here likes to bleat that the Thai insurance requirement is? (even though you can buy from foreign insurance companies).

" If you are a foreigner employed by a Thai (or foreign) company you are also covered under social security and don't need this insurance either. " Okay, but not if you're over 60, I've been here a few years now but can't enjoy a break to VN because I'd have to take out EVEN MORE insurance to cover the Covid insurance requirement because my policy doesn't specifically mention the level of Covid cover. All of my work colleagues are younget than me so get Soc. Sec. cover and therefore do not see 25% of their income disappear just to cover healthcare.

On 5/5/2022 at 5:48 PM, snoop1130 said:

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said he would propose the government end the Thailand Pass registration initially for Thai returnees before expanding the policy to foreign visitors.

Makes sense.  All foreigners have covid and Thais generally don't. ????‍♂️

16 hours ago, Wake Up said:

I have to say for all the bad you hear about health insurance companies, LM on the Thailand approved list actually does pay and makes it easy and most of the Bangkok hospitals are on their provider list.  

Good to know & glad to hear this Thanks