Getting deposit back

17 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Deposits are never returned in Thailand. I have lost loads. Even Truevisions wouldn't return my deposit.

that is not true.

i allways got my deposits.

you need to know with whom you are dealing.

i allways ask for receipt and check the landlord response.

once in a hotel i asked for a receipt after i paid.

he told me not now. i said yes now. he said not now.

come back in two hours, i came back after two hours, he said again not now.

i said - so i check out. no receipt, no stay.

the reason for that is security. if the hotel owner / receptionist is cheating you

with a receipt, he might very well break into your room.

19 hours ago, kiever said:

checked home and said 500 baht for water / electric

So in 6 days your father has fill swimming pool whit some really powerful aggregate!

And also 500 bth for cleaning! So cleaner spend there over 1 and half day, must be some dirty old man who lived there!

12 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

So in 6 days your father has fill swimming pool whit some really powerful aggregate!

And also 500 bth for cleaning! So cleaner spend there over 1 and half day, must be some dirty old man who lived there!

Cleaning is a fixed price not regulated to a minimum day salery.

800 baht we normally paid for a month electric 38m2 apartment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Cleaning is a fixed price not regulated to a minimum day salery.

800 baht we normally paid for a month electric 38m2 apartment.

Humor is humor! If use AC 24/7 you can use electric much! Dont know why people move to hot country if they cant live they life in there! If need use AC to be home i think should move to Greenland , maybe there not get sweat all the time! Our town house bill is about 300 to 400 bth / month and village house bill is about 500 bth. And in village place has always much more people and its over 300 m2. All the food normaly make in outside kitchen whit gas.

2 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Humor is humor! If use AC 24/7 you can use electric much! Dont know why people move to hot country if they cant live they life in there! If need use AC to be home i think should move to Greenland , maybe there not get sweat all the time! Our town house bill is about 300 to 400 bth / month and village house bill is about 500 bth. And in village place has always much more people and its over 300 m2. All the food normaly make in outside kitchen whit gas.

Not every place you rent have same rate for unit and which you agree on in the contract.

The rest you babbel about, I have no idea what's behind.

I have got my deposit back in full promptly every time.

I think there are a number of reasons for this, which everyone should take if they can:

1)  I have an ounce of common sense and ability to sniff out a wrongun fairly quickly

2) I have written recordings of everything

3) I am polite, jovial and dont act like a complete <deleted>

4) I have not been renting 2,000-3,000 baht units which probably suffer from much higher turnover of screwed up landlords and tenants

5) I obey by the terms of my contract

6) If an agent is involved it is typically a reputable one

7) I enter any discussion in good faith that the landlord is honest, and dont go in their expecting to get shafted and that coming across in discussions.

I think a 6 out of 6 money back deposit over the past 15 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Use shame as a tool. Don't even concern yourself with defamation. Use Facebook. Make his friends, associates and family aware of his moral transgression and ethical breach. Put pressure on him. Don't let it go. He will return your money. I have employed this technique before. It works. Shame is a great tool to use on many Thais, as they are pathologically scared of losing face. Quite pathetic, really. 

Thai Criminal Code Section 326, that is defamation.

Although section 330 may be a get out. 

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Use shame as a tool. Don't even concern yourself with defamation. Use Facebook. Make his friends, associates and family aware of his moral transgression and ethical breach. Put pressure on him. Don't let it go. He will return your money. I have employed this technique before. It works. Shame is a great tool to use on many Thais, as they are pathologically scared of losing face. Quite pathetic, really. 

Stupid advice

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Tell him, if he doesn't pay you know, you will tell the police he stole from you

Renters beware. 

Thai Police have no interest in helping foreigners. 

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

you can smack him in the face

Great advice to get OP deported. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, San Fran Dan said:

People Wake Up , Air B&B offers Minimal deposits , I stay 6 months at a time , then move to new condo and rinse and repeat, I’m not having 30+ , 000 b locked up hoping I get it back again  

You're breaking the law using Airbnb 

Airbnb business is mainly nightly & weekly rentals. 

Screenshot_2022-05-09-14-43-31-38_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

22 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

That will not be an easy one.

I never give a deposit, looking elsewhere is better, unless one is ready to accept never seeing that money again.

In Thailand, a personal loan is a 'gift'. a deposit is typically a 'gift', these people are not to be trusted with money.

So bad it is that Thais cannot rent a vehicle, here in Phuket at least, because they are not trustworthy, they have no shame when keeping these 'gifts', as they are not responsible people by their own culture. A Thai person might have too much problems trying to recuperate a loan from another individual, and for a farang, it is just impossible.

And even more sadly, it is even part of their justice system, calling them out can be a problem legally. Defamation. Lying is so much part of the culture, that telling the truth can get one in trouble here.

Not always, as it is mentioned by some forum members...

Absolute BS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Actually, this does not come from me.

It comes from Thai people who told me how it is here. Like they cannot rent a motorbike etc. And that money i lent to Thai people, i will never get back.

So please keep your ignorant opinions to yourself pls.

You are the ignorant one here. I always get my money back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, FalangJaiDee said:

This is a conundrum as old as time. You simply dont rent anywhere where a deposit is required because they won’t give it back and there’s no legal mechanism to force them to if you’re a foreigner. 

There is, it is called the law.

6 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Put a lid on it.

Nothing to do with blame.

I am stating facts about Thailand and Thai people.

And I am stating the source of these facts.

What I have learned on my own, and what Thais have taught me about Thai people and Thai culture.

You are just making a narrative to support your erroneous claims.

It only tells that you are surrounding yourself with lowlifes. 

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

Deposits are never returned in Thailand. I have lost loads. Even Truevisions wouldn't return my deposit.

Yeah, In my experience, this is totally untrue, apart from Truevisions, what is it about them? ???? A huge corporation, they want the worthless, 10 year old decoder, the plug and even the 2 bob HDMI cable - they refuse to come and collect the dish, then after you return the kit you wait a month or two be knocked for the deposit. I got mine back in the end but not without considerable effort.

Always got the rental deposits back, even when I should have by rights had to pay for some damage and cleaning.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Some laws are written to be ignored and scorned. 

Tell that to the American who annoyed the hotel on Ko Chang with his online complaints.

Got locked up and then I think deported.

Doesn't happen often, agreed. 

• Haha 1

The agent / owner has shown their spots.... 

You [op] now know exactly how this will go when you end your lease. 

You will not get this 2000 baht returned. You will not get your 5000 baht deposit back (minus any further cleaning fee). 

Thus: You are not in a position of control as they agent / owner is holding the deposit. 

The only way to take control is to play them at their own game. 

In your final month delay payment of the rent.

i.e. You mentioned you have paid 5000 baht deposit for your current place.

How much ‘rent’ does that equate to ? is it one month ?  (very cheap if so).

Just delay that final month of rent. 

• Like 1

Hey guys , I got my deposit back. I already posted above how. 

3 hours ago, kiever said:

Update. I got my deposit back very quickly today. I just went condo management and explain the situation with help of my Thai girlfriend. I asked phone number of landlord.because I rented home with agent and I don’t have contact of real landlord. Management said they cannot give her number but they will pass my number to landlord to contact with me. After 1 hour landlord called me. My thai girlfriend talked with her. She had no idea about short time rental and deposit. She contacted with agent and after 30 minutes agent transferred  my deposit back to my account. Problem has been fixed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rott said:

Tell that to the American who annoyed the hotel on Ko Chang with his online complaints.

Got locked up and then I think deported.

Doesn't happen often, agreed. 

From my point of view, he did put himself in that situation! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hummin said:

From my point of view, he did put himself in that situation! 

From what I read he deserves no sympathy, but not many places would see you behind bars for it. 

• Like 1