Thai PM orders strict discipline and principles adhered to for Buddhist monks nationwide following recent scandalous news

webfact

All i can say to the esteemed PM that the monkshood, like many other walks of life, not what it used to be, some evolves positively others not so much and the monkshood business discovers that the saffron robs is not enough and enlightenment in life may satisfy the soul but not the flesh...

• Like 1

Common sense is the only word.... why? A monk is highly respected in Thailand and other countries.. They show the people the way tolive and reach the Nirvana... So it is no place for criminals, traffic offenders, child abusers, drugsaddicted etc to be a monk.. Yes they can go to temple dressed in white, to clean, and help the temple but not as a monk They are not the examples of how to reach the Nirvana and if monks disbehave they have to blacklisted... Monkhood should be only for people with a clean record..But this is Thailand and everything is possible here...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

Does the PM imagine that he has any authority over the clergy? I thought they had their own hierarchy.

If only it were so. Since 2016....

'the King of Thailand appoints the Supreme Patriarch directly, with the Thai Prime Minister'

Wikipedia

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

so he meddling in religious affairs. 

Unconstitutional. 

Might be sued by monkhood.

What about him ordering military to stop smuggling illegal immigrants, which feed slavery?

Or pedofilia within it's ranks (the last week example of army officers getting kids from children care home in the South).

My nephew had to pay 250k to pass exam to military cadet school. Without bribe he won't pass. Same with entry to police accademy.

All bribery contributes to Prawit watches and generals with hundreds millions worth of property.

Cadets killed in the barracks every year?

https://thediplomat.com/2016/07/the-dark-secrets-of-thailands-military/

what happen to rajabhati park corruption?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35069188

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Every week when we go to Supermarkets we see Monks pushing Trolly's around and buying the best quality foods and as much Whiskey as they can carry.   They obviously think the best way to reach Nirvana is to eat, drink and be merry !   Still; you have to blame the naive Sheeple for giving them all the money to do it with....Idiots !

I thought they were forbidden to carry money?  What gives?? Do they allow them to drink in the monastary?

2 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

I thought they were forbidden to carry money?  What gives?? Do they allow them to drink in the monastary?

The Google machine told me they're only supposed to abstain from booze on religious holidays, and only conservative Buddhists are not allowed to touch money.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Jerno said:

0h, puh-leeze!  Coming from a guy who illegally overthrew an elected government and cheatingly changes the laws and Constitution to stay in power while catering 100's billions to Military and sweet f.all to the commoners.  Most un-Buddha-like behavior.  Makes me sick, the biggest hypocrite!

Nothing whatsoever to suggest that he's a good Buddhist.

Clear evidence would suggest that all this is convoluted contradictory. 

How did we get to this stage? Mixing militarism with Buddhism.