Dept of Internal Trade puts brake on Pepsi price rise

webfact

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Good point,well made.

Something about which the Tories in UK promised to take action.......yet another broken promise.

The Tories did impose a higher taxation on sugary drinks and food and that caused the manufactures to cut the amount of sugar in their products or raise the price if drinks that contain high amounts of sugar , happened in 2019

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why are they doing something so stupid is beyond me. Why aren't they protecting consumers here on essential staple foods, chicken, pork, eggs and also on petrol. This is the dumbest thing going to stop a 1-2 baht increase on soda? This stuff can't be made up, it is so crazy with everything going up in price and governments aren't controlling the oil prices or companies. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

You're entitled to your opinion.

However note that in some other countries the populace strongly support/expect the government to control prices/decide maximum prices on some product categories.

Bottom line; up to everybody to have a personal preference on what role government should play.

Personally I prefer an appraoch where the populace strongly support/expect the government to control prices/decide maximum prices. 

That’s the way of Communists, government control the price of everything, when Communism folded in Russia the price of Bread hadn’t changed in 50years, but the import of wheat had from the west. It’s better for governments to add more tax percentage to these sugar drinks and reap the benefit. 

7 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I am hoping something got lost in translation. There is no way on earth a government can tell a private consumer goods company what price it can charge for its discretionary products. If Pepsi want to charge a million baht per can, well up to them and good luck.

you do know this is Thailand...right??  

1 hour ago, GaWalker said:

That’s the way of Communists, government control the price of everything, when Communism folded in Russia the price of Bread hadn’t changed in 50years, but the import of wheat had from the west. It’s better for governments to add more tax percentage to these sugar drinks and reap the benefit. 

Not necessarily communist. Strange how some people jump instantly to 'communist'.

There are other mixed economic models, some successful* in the world. I wonder wher you call home?

Nothing wrong with government (especially if it's the will of the people) putting price controls on some items especially food and a few other items which are important for ar an acceptable quality of life, through sharing.

* On the other hand, I obviously don't know but perhaps you think capitalism is the only way to go, well that's hardly a roaring success, well documented that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Yeak I know... freedom...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, connda said:

Make smaller bottles.  <head slap> "Dohhhh!"

Yep. Srinkflation has been happening for years. Same price but get less. I've tried to explain this to many Thais saying it means it's more expensive but get the same reply. No. Same price.

images.jpg

Edited by dinsdale
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Wattanasak said that consumer interests were being protected and investigations were underway to ensure that consumers were not being taken advantage of.

Wonder how much that's going to cost ?

A 50 000 Baht per month advisory role ?

The Ministry has nothing better to do than to hound a Co that is selling a non essential item,

has competition on the shelf beside it & should be discouraged anyway ?

Time better spent checking the 160 essential items that every household needs

10 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Frankly, it needs to have a hefty rise, as does Coke. Both are poison and contribute to the obesity crisis facing Thailand at the moment. 

Personally I prefer Coke. and drink about one 300ml glass a day at lunchtime.

Neither are poison, as you quaintly put it. A lot depends on how much you drink a day.

The same for KFC or McD. If you eat reasonably and not that often, they are OK for you . If you eat a double cheese and bacon burger, large fries and a jumbo drink twice a day, then yes, you will get fat.

If you drink 10 beers a day, that is no good for you either.

9 hours ago, connda said:

wrong post. Sorry

11 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Good point,well made.

Something about which the Tories in UK promised to take action.......yet another broken promise.

It was not a promise. It was a threat of nanny state intervention in people's  choice. In view of rising food prices the cancellation of BOGOF has been warmly welcomed.

10 hours ago, connda said:

They will just sell you a plastic bottle that is 60% full instead.  Pepsi is getting there quickly - less and less product, more and more empty space..  I'm sick and tired of buying a bottle with 60 to 75% product and the rest of the space filled with CO2.

I stopped buying Pepsi when they started leaving a massive amount of empty space in the bottle.  I fault them on three issues:  Shrinkflation (given you less product in the same bottle (like you won't notice); adding to the global plastic problem, and adding to the CO2 problem (all that empty space is filled with Carbon Dioxide.) Make the bottles smaller, use less plastic, use less CO2, and stop conning the public - these big international giants need to be better stewards of the planet. 
If rising plastic costs are driving up the cost - then stop leaving a large gap of empty bottle.  Make the bottles smaller, cut the amount of plastic they use, and fill them completely. 

Bottom line: I stopped buying Pepsi quite awhile ago.  And as other soft drink manufacturers follow suit, I'll stop buying their product too for the same reasons.   Currently I drink EST when I indulge in a cola..  Once they start leaving a significant gap of air in their bottles?  They'll lose my business too.  Actually, the waste of plastic and the addition of needless CO2 bothers me more than the implicit dishonesty in the Shinkflation approach.

Just fill the bottle as raise the price.  Then I'll make my buying decisions based on free market pricing between competitors. 

It isn't always that simple to make smaller bottles. It is not just the bottle size that would need changing.

Without knowing the new size of the bottle it may involve the whole conveyor, bottling and perhaps the capping system, plus new shrink wrapping as well. None of the big companies make their own bottles, caps, labels etc but use another company to supply them. It may also mean a knock on effect to them as well and more or less extra cost.

13 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Good point,well made.

They did. They introduced the sugar tax in 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Good point,well made.

So a poor kid that brought home good grades on his/her report card should be deprived of having a Pepsi as a reward?  I am American.  Where Pepsi and Coke is made.  The contents of a bottle are less than 2 pennies.

The outing of another complete idiot who has not understood basics of market mechanism. If Pepsi wants to increase their prices by 10, 20 or 100 Baht per bottle, then let them have it their way. 

Pepsi is not life-essential, Pepsi does not have a monopoly and Pepsi is, like Coca Cola, an absolutely unnecessary product - except possibly for the sugar industry. 

All other investors of FMCC, beware of such idiots in the The director of the Internal Trade Department, they can officially scerw you despite not having understood basics.

12 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

It's ludicrous what I read... but I no longer drink such rubbish that will lead to an early death.

If you don't know beforehand when you are going to die............. how can you talk about an "early death?" 

Fact is, you die when you die. And unless you've received some kind of medical diagnosis that limits the parameters of when that is.......... you have no clue about when when you're going to die. 

So, isn't the point, rather than worrying about when it's going to happen---a thing you can't possibly know, anyway---to enjoy the journey and do things that bring you pleasure and joy? 

Sorry, but to worry about an "early death"............ is to worry about a phrase that has no practical meaning, anyway! 

People die when they die. Shouldn't they enjoy the experience getting there, in whatever big and small ways they can? 

Once you know the day you're supposed to die........... once that date is locked in............ then you can start worrying about an "early death!" 

Until then "Pepsi, anyone?" 

????????????

Cheers! 

Night before last, I bought 2 each 1.95L bottles of Pepsi Max (No Sugar) from 7-11 for 40 baht each.

If I hadn't been too lazy to walk the extra 500m (each way) to Lotus's Express, I could have bought the same thing for 33 baht each. 

I have seen Pepsi Max tagged on the shelf at Big C for 38 baht. 

I've seen sale prices in the same Big C of 34 baht, 33 baht, 2-fer 65 baht (32.5 each), 32 baht, 30 baht and 28 baht (but had to buy at least 200 baht of other stuff.)

Now, I realize the gov't is talking about a freeze on WHOLESALE prices, as they talk about restraining Pepsi.............. but when retail selling prices are all over the place (28 - 40 baht for the same 1.95L bottle), I wonder what definition of "gouging" they are using? 

1.95L Pepsi Max at Big C is almost always  "on sale" for between 32 and 34 baht. Does that mean that for the 10 - 15% of the time it's NOT "on sale"........... that they're "gouging me" with their 38 baht Regular Price? 

And if that's "gouging"............. why is 7-11 allowed to sell them for 40 baht, all the time? 

After all, aren't anti-gouging laws and regulations meant to protect THE CONSUMER? 

Seems like if that's their mandate......... focusing on Pepsi at the wholesale level......... is a classic case of.......... "Not seeing the forest for the trees! " 

Cheers! 

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 10:09 AM, webfact said:

But the department has put the brake on the company's moves. 

Wattanasak said that consumer interests were being protected and investigations were underway to ensure that consumers were not being taken advantage of.

So now what's more important ,Pepsi or Fuel ? 

If they can stop the price from Pepsi going up sure as Little apples they can hold the Fuel price down. 

Nah they Won't , the fuel brings in Billions more than some soft drink.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:40 AM, tomacht8 said:

LOL

Now it hits Pepsi alone? In all 7-11 shops and supermarkets, the prices for countless products are constantly being increased. This selective intervention in economic activity is totally nonsensical. Pepsi doesn't even have a monopoly. Or could it be that it is a revenge measure from the old dispute between Pepsi and est?

My daily energy drink in a yellow can or bottle was 10฿, now it is 12฿, but Pepsi gets capped, somebody forgot somebody’s birthday.

• Like 2