Out of control foreign "tourist" smashes up Bangkok Bank branch in north - causes nearly 500K damage

webfact

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I'm guessing he was suffering for withdrawal and I don't mean money from the bank...

Sensible comment. Alcohol withdrawal. Massive anxiety. Paranoia. Total loss of control.

Maybe he was coming down off other drugs, too.  

Guy needs help. 

I perfectly understand the man....I have been close to that on severaL occasions.  Bangkok Bank have some crazy ideas/rules and some even crazier staff making them up.  One of them is do you know if your ATM card expires or is faulty you must travel yourself in person the accounts home branch to get it replaced?  Any other bank can replace no matter where you are.  So imagine you have an a/c at BB in Silom and you go on holidays to Chiang Rai and lose your card, or it expires, you are up sh#t creek because you need to get back to Bangkok to do anything about it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I did not smash anything but took my entire business and personal finance banking needs elsewhere which was commented with "up to you".

"..took my entire business and personal finance banking needs elsewhere..."

Ah, that would explain the jump in BBL's share price that day!

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

One of them is do you know if your ATM card expires or is faulty you must travel yourself in person the accounts home branch to get it replaced?

That's not true, I've had my damaged BBL debit card replaced a number of times at local branches.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Bangkok Bank have some crazy ideas/rules and some even crazier staff making them up.  One of them is do you know if your ATM card expires or is faulty you must travel yourself in person the accounts home branch to get it replaced?  Any other bank can replace no matter where you are.  So imagine you have an a/c at BB in Silom and you go on holidays to Chiang Rai and lose your card, or it expires, you are up sh#t creek because you need to get back to Bangkok to do anything about it.

Nonsense.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe he wanted his money but the bank gave it to another...or he was just upset with the Bank for other reasons...

Thats some upset, now banned for sometime I suspect

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe he wanted his money but the bank gave it to another...or he was just upset with the Bank for other reasons...

or like me had enough of their untrained unprofessional staff ..closed my account there 3 weeks ago ...but not a rock in sight..

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Each time I read an article such as this, I ask myself how often the British police have to deal with crazed Thai visitors in the UK, smashing up banks, fighting in the bars, murdering or throwing folks off of balconies or simply jumping off a tall building themselves or going berserk on drugs. Each time I come up with the same answer - NEVER. Honestly, I feel for the RTP having to deal the daily event of trouble caused by visitors to this country.

He was Canadian. But I get your point, though bearing in mind that most Thais that travel overseas independently are typical well off and are of middle class stock and up. Also bearing in mind that crazed Thais carry on with stuff like this over here fairly routinely. Doesn’t take away from the fact that the guy is an ass and should be deported. 

1 hour ago, Wytchend said:

Any mention as to...............why?

Gotta be a back story to this one?

At the end of the video he says "I want my ****ing money. Give me my ****ing money Bangkok Bank."

And no, he's not "French".

For what ever reason, he's been on overstay since mid-April. 

From the sounds of it, he tried to get money from an ATM and it didn't work (for whatever reason).
(No, Immigration doesn't put a "hold" on someone's bank account as soon as they are on overstay so don't bother speculating about that.)

Could be his card expired and he didn't renew it - because they'd want to see his passport. 
My card was set to expire next month and every time I went to an ATM, as soon as I punched in my PIN I got a message across the screen (impossible to ignore) that my card was going to expire next month.

As I had to go to the bank to get my annual bank letter, I took the time to also get a new card.

No hassles and the bank letter only cost 100 baht, as per usual.
No charge for the new ATM card and they gave me a choice of Mastercard or Union Pay (for the ATM system, not a credit card). As per usual though, they had to make a copy of my passport to attach to the paperwork.

Could be a dozen reasons why he did what he did but the end result is, he'll sit in jail until he goes to court, he'll be fined for the damages and ordered deported (and blacklisted for the overstay) and then sit in jail until he can pay the fine and pay for a plane ticket home.

Not the smartest rock in the pile as they say !

I can certainly sympathize with the guy, going into any of their branches is akin to going to a dentist for a root canal job, but to throw rocks and smash equipment is a nono, and the damage bill is outrageous.

I can certainly sympathize with the guy, going into any of their branches is akin to going to a dentist for a root canal job, but to throw rocks and smash equipment is a nono, and the damage bill is outrageous.

• Confused 1

Just now, Boyn said:

I am astounded that this does not happen more frequently, If there is anyplace to lose it i would have thought immigration would be a good candidate.

Problem with that is, immigration is a branch of Royal Thai Police...????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, transam said:

Problem with that is, immigration is a branch of Royal Thai Police...????

True but wherever you lose it the RTP will be involved, Immigration has got to be the most frustrating place surely

I know where he's coming from. I've had very frustrating confrontations with Thailand's CS. The problem is if they can't solve your problem "by the book" and it won't go away, they often just dig their feet in and refuse to do anything at all.

At some point you either have to give up or try to point out they are using face.

7 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

At the end of the video he says "I want my ****ing money. Give me my ****ing money Bangkok Bank."

And no, he's not "French".

For what ever reason, he's been on overstay since mid-April. 

From the sounds of it, he tried to get money from an ATM and it didn't work (for whatever reason).
(No, Immigration doesn't put a "hold" on someone's bank account as soon as they are on overstay so don't bother speculating about that.)

Could be his card expired and he didn't renew it - because they'd want to see his passport. 
My card was set to expire next month and every time I went to an ATM, as soon as I punched in my PIN I got a message across the screen (impossible to ignore) that my card was going to expire next month.

As I had to go to the bank to get my annual bank letter, I took the time to also get a new card.

No hassles and the bank letter only cost 100 baht, as per usual.
No charge for the new ATM card and they gave me a choice of Mastercard or Union Pay (for the ATM system, not a credit card). As per usual though, they had to make a copy of my passport to attach to the paperwork.

Could be a dozen reasons why he did what he did but the end result is, he'll sit in jail until he goes to court, he'll be fined for the damages and ordered deported (and blacklisted for the overstay) and then sit in jail until he can pay the fine and pay for a plane ticket home.

Not the smartest rock in the pile as they say !

RE: Could be a dozen reasons why he did what he did but the end result is, he'll sit in jail until he goes to court, he'll be fined for the damages and ordered deported (and blacklisted for the overstay) and then sit in jail until he can pay the fine and pay for a plane ticket home.

What do you think the Canadian Embassy will do to help him?

6 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

OMG another bad falang in the LOS, further ruining our reputation and destroying all hopes of Thais embracing us into their family.   I'm not going to say, "Thanks Canada" because there are crazy people in every country.   

This is not a good solution:  bricks at a brick-n-mortar store.   I would create my own bank, make 100 billion, and show them!!!!  but falang use rock...throw rock....mad mad mad mad falang.

Pai......the one place nobody can say correctly.

The media focuses on this ........  remember this.

Imagine if we read a story on every person killed in Ukraine.    But that's not the message. 

I and I'm sure everyone else on this forum have absolutely no idea what this post means

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So what? A good number of Thais think that we're 'crazy' anyway. They will be pleased that, at least sometimes, they're right...

as in "YOOOOOO.....CRAZY FARANG....YOO CRAZY" ?

Like that ?