Huge queues at THAI counter at Bangkok airport

webfact

11 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

The guy's saying check with your airline in advance. As you say though, will security be in agreement? Reading about my home airport (Ringway, Manchester U.K.) it's prohibited items in outgoing passenger's hand luggage that's causing most problems.

It has become very difficult to get any meaningful feedback from airlines, esp. in Thailand. The only way of communication these days seems to be 'talking' to a bot online that doesn't understand your 'specific questions'... That's why I appreciate the exchange on this board. Reading the replies here, I have already adjusted my flight planning. I will just presume the worst-case scenario.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:
59 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

That's good. But has security check staff at Suvarnabhumi read the article, too? Also, how to know how many I can take with me? Just one, or is two or three still okay?

From the linked article:

"Power banks up to 27,000mAh: carry-on luggage

The IATA, an international aviation organization, has established clear rules for flying with power banks. You can take 2 power banks with you. Together, they can have a capacity of up to 27,000mAh. Make sure you put those power banks in your carry-on luggage. They're not allowed as checked luggage. Don't put your power banks at the bottom of your bag, but somewhere you can easily access them. At the security check, you often have to show your power bank."

and

"For power banks with a larger capacity, the rules differ per airline."

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

They must be offering fire sale prices these days, as I don't know of anyone that flies Thai Airways [international routes] largely because of their ridiculous high cost that matches their diminishing in-flight and dodgy general customer service. 

A quick air fare search indicates that Thai are generally offering more competitive fares than they did previously. Right now, this being peak summer time vacation travel, all air fares are a least 30% higher than in Q1.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Due to the lack of recent, frequent travel and familiarity with the rules, maybe a combination of both passenger and staff being unfamiliar with the limitations on battery size? I'm pretty sure that airline websites, the check-in and security desks at airports have this information posted somewhere.

When I flew out to the US and returned at the beginning of the year I flew with 3 battery power banks. Could not put them in my suitcases and check them through as they had to he hand carried in my back pack.  Took them out and put them in a tray with my computer and phone.  No issues here or in the US.  3 years ago in Taiwan I had one in my suitcase and was called into security to open up my case and retrieve it as they can not be checked through. Got a right rear end chewing.....

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Is there anything that works right in this country anymore? everything seems to be either too hard, too slow, not working too many changes or no information...

...well, according to some Thaivisa posters, that's the case.   And that does not mean anything.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Is there anything that works right in this country anymore? everything seems to be either too hard, too slow, not working too many changes or no information...

I was complaining about something along that line the other day and  my wife retorted "This Thailand!"????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

They must be offering fire sale prices these days, as I don't know of anyone that flies Thai Airways [international routes] largely because of their ridiculous high cost that matches their diminishing in-flight and dodgy general customer service. 

It is probably all staff and their relatives on freebee or discounted tickets.. that was one reason profits were negative in the past!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is probably all staff and their relatives on freebee or discounted tickets.. that was one reason profits were negative in the past!

Or Thai monks.....who travel free or nominal cost. 

This is a holiday weekend, too, so it explains some of the check-in kerfuffle. I flew to Vietnam in early May and returned a couple of weeks later. In and out, a total breeze at BKK and SGN airports. In fact, landed at SGN, was outside having a smoke 20 minutes later.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

I do not understand what this fuss is all about

When in Rome .... Fly First 

(Mind you I don't see the connection with Rome - pun intended- but I had been willing to place this sentence for quite a while )

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's good. But has security check staff at Suvarnabhumi read the article, too? Also, how to know how many I can take with me? Just one, or is two or three still okay?

According to the link, the power output is the same of all power banks and must be carryed on.

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Security at X-Ray pulled out a mobile 'phone power bank and queried it's size? My neice now has no power bank!   

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Power banks were no issue before the pandemic. Why now?

The rules on power banks in checked luggage (forbidden) and carry on bags (restricted) have been in effect since years before the pandemic ever came along, but you might never have noticed if you don't usually carry one yourself. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

In and out, a total breeze at BKK and SGN airports. In fact, landed at SGN, was outside having a smoke 20 minutes later.

That's good to know. Does check-in at Changi Airport accept Thailand's Mor Prom app for vaccination verification? (Singapore will be my stopover on the way to Oz, but I'm planning to check out the city too.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much

9 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's good to know. Does check-in at Changi Airport accept Thailand's Mor Prom app for vaccination verification? (Singapore will be my stopover on the way to Oz, but I'm planning to check out the city too.)

Sorry dude, SGN is Saigon Airport (HCMC, VN). SIN is the Singapore code. I've never been to Singapore. My flight route was Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh City and back.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

6 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Sorry dude, SGN is Saigon Airport (HCMC, VN). SIN is the Singapore code. I've never been to Singapore. My flight route was Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh City and back.

LOL. My bad! Worrying about my flight, I mixed up the codes... But good to know that things are back to normal in HCMC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Or Thai monks.....who travel free or nominal cost. 

Maybe once upon a time but wife recently booked a domestic ticket with Thai airways for a Thai monk from her family to fly to Bangkok to bless her new business. She phoned Thai to clarify he was a monk but no discount whatsoever, she paid the same price for his ticket as she did for the other family members. 

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

5 hours ahead recommended, what a farce. Call in more workers or get the CEO and upper muckey mucks to man a counter....

They wouldn't know what to at the counter.. 

12 minutes ago, guru said:

She phoned Thai to clarify he was a monk but no discount whatsoever, she paid the same price for his ticket as she did for the other family members. 

He's a monk not god.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

5 hours ahead recommended, what a farce. Call in more workers or get the CEO and upper muckey mucks to man a counter....

Five hours does not mean anything when flights are being cancelled left right and centre. After over a week of utter chaos people in the UK are not even bothering to go to the airport.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/travel-updates-flight-cancellations-easyjet-ba-b2093210.html

My flight was among over 200 hundred cancelled last Friday and had to travel from the South coast to Belfast by train and ferry, horrendous journey.

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I’d double check yourself but both SG and TH are members of the EU Digital COVID certificate scheme, so I would expect yes. You can find the QR code in the Mor Prom app. 

• Like 1

People are leaving the kingdom.. that is a bad sign... or are they being paid to come back so that they count in the millions who will arrive in the next months??

And to make it look busy they opened only 3 counters.....Long queus look good ....but if they opened all counters there was not so many people maybe

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 2