Thailand borrows 13 billion baht from Japan at interest rate of 0.01 percent

webfact

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

Why does country with, allegedly, the largest foreign reserves in the known universe need to borrow money?

Its the Thai way. Loans are endemic in Thai society and if you can borrow at such a low interest rate when globally banks are putting up there irates AND not have to pay anything for 4 years then why not? 

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

Why does country with, allegedly, the largest foreign reserves in the known universe need to borrow money?

Me think maybe it's NOT a loan, it's a freebie in a guise of a loan so tongues will not wagging that Thailand will recuperates in kind of similar one day no doubts...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

As should be clear to all now, FX reserves are not all they are cracked up to be. They are not some giant pool of money sitting idle; they are an accounting entry, but already committed to something, so not exactly available.

yep, I think you are correct, these so called FX reserves are already collateral for existing borrowing, there suddenly seems to be a huge black financial hole emerging, this is quite shocking but no surprise

14 minutes ago, smedly said:

yep, I think you are correct, these so called FX reserves are already collateral for existing borrowing, there suddenly seems to be a huge black financial hole emerging, this is quite shocking but no surprise

So time for the USD to go to 40 thb per $1......the US is raising rates but the thais are still sitting at .5....lagging 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, doctormann said:

It seems that the Japanese do not pay attention to this questionable scheme. Thailand borrows at a preferential interest rate of only 0.01 per cent per year, while, possibly, investing their own huge reserves at 3 per cent or more.

There are other countries that could use such generous loans from JICA. Sri Lanka, Nepal, Laos, and Cambodia come to mind, just in Asia.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

5 hours ago, doctormann said:

Take the money and reinvest it with a higher percentage payout and pocket the difference for one.

7 hours ago, smedly said:

Collateral for existing borrowing/loans ?? Then that sounds like these so called reserves are going to be used up to pay back loans. 

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

Collateral for existing borrowing/loans ?? Then that sounds like these so called reserves are going to be used up to pay back loans. 

well yes - defaulting on loans is a very serious issue - perhaps why they needed a loan from Japan - it has a better look than a default

Something really stinks about this and they seem to be keeping it to themselves - wouldn't want to admit the messed up now would they

1 hour ago, dinga said:

INDEED - this is the issue.   The minuscule interest rate is (intentionally) extremely misleading.

You can be sure the Loan is in YEN (how can it possibly be in Baht....) - meaning Thailand is at the mercy of the movement in FX Rates every time payment is to be made.  

I am reminded of when Swiss Franc Home Loans were being pedaled in Australia at similarly ridiculously low interest rates  -  those who fell for the trap were destroyed by unfavourable FX movements.

Yeah, it’s definitely a potential “trap”.  

They did the same thing with the housing market in the US with 5 year (if I remember correctly…it certainly wasn’t a typical 15 or 30 year mortgage) Yen loans back in 2007.  The US$ was 120 yen at the time.  5 years later (2012) it was around 80 Yen to the $.  I wonder how many people fell for it.  Had no idea that they did the same thing in Australia…interesting to know.  Thanks.