Looking for Higher Spec Laptop (Buy online).

Troy Tempest

Dear All,

I am looking for a Higher Spec new Laptop.

My spec is 16Gb-32Gb RAM, 1-2Tb SSD, i7-i9 Processor, 15"-17" screen..... Ideally with an Ethernet port, (but not essential).

I am not a gamer so don't want or need a stupid "Rainbow Coloured Keyboard with flashing Lights".

OS is not a problem (If it comes with Windows 11, I will replace it with Windows 10 Pro).

I am into Photography and Video streaming, hence I want at least 1Tb SSD!

I welcome any recommendations and/or suppliers in Thailand.

I live on Samui and the choices locally are all very low spec in the Physical Stores (Powerbuy or JIB) so I will have to buy online.

I welcome your input!.....BTW I am not a "Techie"!

Many thanks in advance for any replies! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::jap:

28 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Have a look at Invadeit.co.th

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/notebooks-laptops/

And there you can make a selection (Ram/cpu etc etc), but do please note, alot of High End Laptops are not available at the moment!!

I order most of my computer related stuff via them. Highly Recommended

Many thanks! :thumbsup:

I know that a lot of models are waiting for shipping and the Processor backlog, but I can wait for delivery.

I am currently using an HP Pavillion, but is like acting like an "Old Wife".....Creaky and unreliable! :cheesy:

That's why I am looking for a New Model! :wink:

Edited by Troy Tempest

23 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

1-2Tb SSD- Is this required for streaming?

BTW - If you get your ideal  computer how much do you expect to pay?

Thanks for your reply.

I want the SSD for Video and Photography storage!

Of course I have backup media and external Hard Drives, but I want just for ease of use and to save time.

I would like an Ethernet port because I watch mostly streaming TV and movies!

On my HP Pavillion the Ethernet port has stopped working so now I am using a USB adaptor.

I am with TRUE Online and before I was getting approx 560 Mbps through LAN (I pay for 1 Gbps)..

Now I am only getting about 200 Mgps.....I use a VPN constantly and realise that will slow things down!

I will and am looking to pay up to 100K Thb for a good box!

Edited by Troy Tempest

If you want really top spec laptop then check the ones made by Clevo, Taiwanese ODM. They are usually sold under different brand names such as "Dell Alienware" or "Sager" or "Eurocom". I've bought mine in Singapore under "Aftershock" brand.

And usually they do not have LGBTQ+ colored keyboard *, my one has strict "business" look despite having "gaming" hardware specs.

check here https://eurocom.com/ec/main()ec

or here https://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_pro.asp?lang=en

* - well, I've just checked Clevo website and found out that they started to make LGBT-keyboards following the consumers demand.

Edited by fdsa
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fdsa said:

If you want really top spec laptop then check the ones made by Clevo, Taiwanese ODM. They are usually sold under different brand names such as "Dell Alienware" or "Sager" or "Eurocom". I've bought mine in Singapore under "Aftershock" brand.

And usually they do not have LGBTQ+ colored keyboard, my one has strict "business" look despite having "gaming" hardware specs.

Thanks Mate!

I have looked at the Dell Alienware online, but they always show the muli-coloured keyboard in the ads.....Is that  backlit and can you switch it off?

Which model did you buy and where from?

Cheers,

Troy! :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Troy Tempest said:

I have looked at the Dell Alienware online, but they always show the muli-coloured keyboard in the ads.....Is that  backlit and can you switch it off?

I do not know for sure but most likely yes.

2 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Which model did you buy and where from?

-

10 minutes ago, fdsa said:

I've bought mine in Singapore under "Aftershock" brand.

it is not listed on www.aftershockpc.com anymore because the model is 7 years old, and all current models on their website have the rainbow backlight.

Check Eurocom website, they seem to have some models with a normal keyboard, then you could ask them for the exact Clevo model name and order this exact model from the local reseller in Thailand to avoid the hassles of shipping from abroad.

22 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thanks for your reply.

I want the SSD for Video and Photography storage!

Of course I have backup media and external Hard Drives, but I want just for ease of use and to save time.

I would like an Ethernet port because I watch mostly streaming TV and movies!

On my HP Pavillion the Ethernet port has stopped working so now I am using a USB adaptor.

I am with TRUE Online and before I was getting approx 560 Mbps through LAN (I pay for 1 Gbps)..

Now I am only getting about 200 Mgps.....I use a VPN constantly and realise that will slow things down!

I will and am looking to pay up to 100K Thb for a good box!

Thank you for your clarification.  I have about 6 terabytes of video and photos stored on external  hard drives - my own work, which is satisfactory but I made the mistake  of not getting a big enough SSD which was inconvenient for bit torrent  downloading. Now I don't bit torrent  movies  anymore I stream  from tinyzonetv.to  via my mobile phone - hence my enquiry - obviously  a misunderstanding.

I find your  comprehensive  spec  list interesting and I'll be interested  to see how you get on.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, fdsa said:

I do not know for sure but most likely yes.

-

it is not listed on www.aftershockpc.com anymore because the model is 7 years old, and all current models on their website have the rainbow backlight.

Check Eurocom website, they seem to have some models with a normal keyboard, then you could ask them for the exact Clevo model name and order this exact model from the local reseller in Thailand to avoid the hassles of shipping from abroad.

Thanks Again!

I checked on YouTube about backlit keyboards and apparently you can change the settings in BIOS if you want to switch it on or off permanently.....Sometimes the Backlight feature will shut off after a few seconds if the keyboard has not been used!

Edited by Troy Tempest

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

a stupid "Rainbow Coloured Keyboard with flashing Lights".

this is LGBT triggering!!!!!!    stupid, why?   you have options.   can simply be backlit.....why sooo much hate???? why!!!! why!!!!!!  lol

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thank you for your clarification.  I have about 6 terabytes of video and photos stored on external  hard drives - my own work, which is satisfactory but I made the mistake  of not getting a big enough SSD which was inconvenient for bit torrent  downloading. Now I don't bit torrent  movies  anymore I stream  from tinyzonetv.to  via my mobile phone - hence my enquiry - obviously  a misunderstanding.

I find your  comprehensive  spec  list interesting and I'll be interested  to see how you get on.

Thanks for your reply.

Now you understand about the 1Tb SSD requirement.

Thanks for the heads up on TinyzoneTv! :thumbsup:

Just now, Troy Tempest said:

Thanks for your reply.

Now you understand about the 1Tb SSD requirement.

Thanks for the heads up on TinyzoneTv! :thumbsup:

I have tormented for 3 years.

Fmovies.<deleted> is also very good

You just have to clear your cache and avoid very obvious malware links / adverts but tinyzonetv.to is 95% perfect

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

this is LGBT triggering!!!!!!    stupid, why?   you have options.   can simply be backlit.....why sooo much hate???? why!!!! why!!!!!!  lol

I apologise if I offended you.

I am in no way LGBTQ+ intolerant!

But, when I said "Stupid Rainbow Colours" in relation to the keyboards, I was meaning the original meaning of "Rainbow" as in.....

image.jpeg.abde9ff81816d8a27ce6a7e65867c24f.jpeg

I do not want or need fancy lights on my keyboard when I am trying to work or watch TV through my laptop!....

Is that Okay with you?

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Was going to suggest Alienware, had Dell XPS before when I worked professionally, also recommended. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

I apologise if I offended you.

I am in no way LGBTQ+ intolerant!

But, when I said "Stupid Rainbow Colours" in relation to the keyboards, I was meaning the original meaning of "Rainbow" as in.....

image.jpeg.abde9ff81816d8a27ce6a7e65867c24f.jpeg

I do not want or need fancy lights on my keyboard when I am trying to work or watch TV through my laptop!....

Is that Okay with you?

I wouldn't  deign to answer such oversensitivity. I think it's a troll.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Hi OMF,

I have looked at the Lenovo web site and looks great!.....

However, on reading outside reviews they say they run hot and are noisy (because of fan).

I will not be using for gaming, which can cause fans to run at high speed.

I want to use it for work and also watching movies and TV via HDMI.....I notice that you would need to buy and HDMI adaptor as the Top End  Lenovos do not seem to have HDMI ports?

Please may I ask for your experience?

3 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

A non-issue. You can adjust the backlighting to your preferred monochromatic color and adjust the brightness. The ads just show what's possible and appeal to younger people esp. gamers.

Keyboard backlighting is a great thing to have for working in lower light conditions. I'll always have it when possible. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Hi OMF,

However, on reading outside reviews they say they run hot and are noisy (because of fan).

I want to use it for work and also watching movies and TV via HDMI.....I notice that you would need to buy and HDMI adaptor as the Top End  Lenovos do not seem to have HDMI ports?

I have a lot of good experience with ThinkPad computers - and no bad experience at all with them.

The problem is in the moment that only few of them are available within a week or so.

This one

https://www.lenovo.com/th/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p-series/ThinkPad-P16s-16-inch-Intel/p/21BT004YTH

shows that is has HDMI output.

Fans and temperature can be an issue - if you need the power. They are obviously all temperature controlled and if they don't get too hot then the fan is off or runs on low power.

It seems you know what you are looking for. I suggest look at the details. I.e. some ThinkPads have RAM only soldered in and you can't replace it or add more. Others have RAM modules.

If you need LTE (Internet like mobile phone access) then some models have this and/or can be ordered with that functionality. It's not even expensive. But it is expensive to impossible to add it later.

ThinkPads have also good support options like i.e. Premium Support on site for up to 5years, additional damage support (if you drop it), etc. It all cost extra but the prices are reasonable.

Last but not least I don't see any alternative which is as good as the ThinkPads. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have a lot of good experience with ThinkPad computers - and no bad experience at all with them.

The problem is in the moment that only few of them are available within a week or so.

This one

https://www.lenovo.com/th/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p-series/ThinkPad-P16s-16-inch-Intel/p/21BT004YTH

shows that is has HDMI output.

Fans and temperature can be an issue - if you need the power. They are obviously all temperature controlled and if they don't get too hot then the fan is off or runs on low power.

It seems you know what you are looking for. I suggest look at the details. I.e. some ThinkPads have RAM only soldered in and you can't replace it or add more. Others have RAM modules.

If you need LTE (Internet like mobile phone access) then some models have this and/or can be ordered with that functionality. It's not even expensive. But it is expensive to impossible to add it later.

ThinkPads have also good support options like i.e. Premium Support on site for up to 5years, additional damage support (if you drop it), etc. It all cost extra but the prices are reasonable.

Last but not least I don't see any alternative which is as good as the ThinkPads. 

Thanks Mate!...Great info! :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have a lot of good experience with ThinkPad laptops and a lot of bad experience with Lenovo laptops.

Once my current Thinkpad dies I will buy another Thinkpad. Unfortunately it will be a 2017 model, most likely second hand, because all modern Thinkpads suck hard.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Hi OMF,

Recommend you avoid Lenovo.  Had several laptops and an all-in-one at work, plus a personal top spec i7 Lenovo Yoga.  All developed problems, and the Lenovo Service centre in Fortune Town provided terrible customer service.

Dell service much better, Asus also good.

6 hours ago, fdsa said:

I have a lot of good experience with ThinkPad laptops and a lot of bad experience with Lenovo laptops.

Once my current Thinkpad dies I will buy another Thinkpad. Unfortunately it will be a 2017 model, most likely second hand, because all modern Thinkpads suck hard.

How about some details about what you think is not so good anymore.

Personally I also liked the original keyboard more than the "new" one. But the new keyboard is still very good - just a little different.

Obviously there are cheaper and more expensive ThinkPads. I have to admit I never tried the cheapest once. I don't know how their quality is different compared to the better models.