Middle age lady nips off to the toilet and comes back with "evidence" of payment on phone - gets away with free meal

webfact

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Somneuk Thepphotha, 37, the owner of Butcher Boy in Pak Kret Nonthaburi, a quality beef restaurant, went to Daily News after being ripped off by a customer.

He said that three people - two women and a man - arrived on a motorcycle and after racking up a bill of 2,080 baht for dinner on Friday said they wanted to scan the payment.

IMG_8535-1024x577.jpg

But one of the diners said she preferred not to pay at the table as she had an urgent need to use the toilet. 

She dashed off and emerged a short while later with "evidence" of payment on her phone that the server accepted. 

image.jpeg

After the diners had left the server checked and the scan turned out to be fake. No money had been added to the account.

Somneuk went to file a report with the Rattanathibet police and contacted the bank who confirmed no payment had been made.

4pm2.jpg

He said he was prepared to accept an apology from the diner if payment is made. If not he wants the matter prosecuted fully. 

These times without many customers were hard enough as it is he said as he obliged the media with some handy pointing to the now empty table and lavatory. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 1

Cash is King, nothing ever changed since ......... all that modern rubbish with Line, QR codes, Scan, PromptPay invites cheaters and liars alike. What is wrong in paying with cash or a credit card?

Some vendors prefer it to save the 2% (plus 0.14% VAT) commission. Well, this particular vendor will have to sell quite a lot of beef to cover this loss; the police will do zilch, laugh and refer to "too small". 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, khunpeer said:

nice and firm pointing here  I'd say a solid 7! ????

yes ,   he's  doing an excellent pointing job at both locations ...  the sh_thouse and the table.

I'd say he deserves full payment just for direct pointing alone   !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What big story. Someone did a runner from a restaurant.  Blimey!! What next.. A lost dog?

Love the pictures though.

This is a mobile phone screen

This a table

This is a CCTV picture

Best of all

This is a Toilet.

It's like Crimestoppers for dummies.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

What big story. Someone did a runner from a restaurant.  Blimey!! What next.. A lost dog?

This a table

This is a CCTV picture

Best of all

This is a Toilet.

that's how Thailand news works silly ......   the reporters have limited education on english, hence the whole article reads like a 5yr old wrote it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, khunpeer said:

The Table of Shame' surrounded by the thigh-high railing of death.......????

2 hours ago, khunpeer said:

My favourite restaurant won't take cash anymore.

Okami Sushi

Many 'trusting' vendors take a glance at the customer's screen and see it's good enough.

Funnily enough, when I recently flew LGW-BKK at BOTH ends my Thailand pass was checked 'by the naked eye' and not scanned!

These three low lifes deserve food poisoning.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Totally agree. My Makro/Lotus - standing in the queue, waiting to pay and there they are - fumbling with phones, paying by this stupid transfer system. slow, unnecessary, downright irritating and don't get me started on being 4/5th in the queue and they all do the same thing.

I can step up, pass my goods across, pay my cash and then out of there - 2 minutes.

Luddite!

Try that in more developed countries - 'card only' has become the order of the day.

Tap and Go........................easy peasy  -  except in Thailand.

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

So the server accepted the scan off her phone, but didn't bother to check if the amount had actually been sent/received by the restaurant??

Or am I missing something?

No...that sums it up

4 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Totally agree. My Makro/Lotus - standing in the queue, waiting to pay and there they are - fumbling with phones, paying by this stupid transfer system. slow, unnecessary, downright irritating and don't get me started on being 4/5th in the queue and they all do the same thing.

I can step up, pass my goods across, pay my cash and then out of there - 2 minutes.

Agreed. Why don't they have a separate line for cashless payments and one for cash only, surely not difficult?

19 hours ago, Muzzique said:

This a table

This is a CCTV picture

Best of all

This is a Toilet.

"What big story".

Big enough for you to make a questionable comment about it's credibility!

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

that's how Thailand news works silly ......   the reporters have limited education on english, hence the whole article reads like a 5yr old wrote it.

The report is not written in English by a Thai reporter, it's a translation of a perfectly well-written Thai language article.   Why the unwarranted Thai-bashing mocking?

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The report is not written in English by a Thai reporter, it's a translation of a perfectly well-written Thai language article.   Why the unwarranted Thai-bashing mocking?

Actually, you are right ... I just read it again and it is well presented,  it's just the pointing is a bit over the top don't you think ?  as we all know what a toilet looks like as well as a table and chairs.  

• Like 1