Loan Sharks are making a large profit across Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The university's latest survey of 1,201 respondents during 11 to 23 November found that household debt averaged 340,053 baht (US$11,248) per household, compared with a year earlierat 316,623 baht (US$10,473), which was up 5.8 percent from November 2017.

If that debt does not include mortgages then that figure is absolutely outstandingly bad. In a country with a wage of say 15,000 a month a debt of $11,248 will never get paid off - if it does include mortgages then it seems quite reasonable to me. 

• Like 1

It is in the education. Do not spend money you do not have, if you need a loan for a bigger investment like a house, then see a bank. Latter is charging you also a fortune and takes a collateral double the value of the loan reason but still better than the gentlemen and ladies with golden rings, amulets and huge handbags. 

• Like 2

Good Morning,

who’s fault is that Thailand !!?? When you wake up look in the mirror and you will find your answer ???? 

slow roll out of Covid Protocols, Still a non robust covid testing strategy, The Thai Baht being falsely manipulated over the last almost 3 years or longer  ,

Dual Pricing especially in the middle of a pandemic and list goes on ————- ????  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

file photo for reference only

by Michael Bridge

How many times do we read in the media that Police have arrested nine people during raids on premises believed used for illegal app-based loansharking in Bangkok and Chon Buri on Thursday morning. 

Six of the suspects are Thai and the other three are Chinese nationals.

The pandemic has exaggerated the situation with many struggling just to cover basic monthly expenses.

The University of Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC) recently revealed that the slowing economy has triggered a surge in household debt of 7.4 percent this year. 

The university's latest survey of 1,201 respondents during 11 to 23 November found that household debt averaged 340,053 baht (US$11,248) per household, compared with a year earlierat 316,623 baht (US$10,473), which was up 5.8 percent from November 2017.

40.8% of debt is underground loans

One of the key findings, however, was that while some 59.2 percent of the debt was formal debt borrowed from legitimate financial institutions, 40.8 percent was what was considered underground debt, meaning debt owed to loan sharks.

Loan sharks is a major problem in Thailand – as it is in many other places around the globe. 

Back in September 2018, it was reported that the then-military government – through its efforts to help those who had fallen victim to loan sharks – had succeeded in returning land and assets worth 3.25 billion baht (US$107.5 million) to borrowers in the Northeast. 

You may say it doesn’t affect the expat community, but how many expats have had girlfriends’ partners even Thai wife’s pleading to help as the loan shark is threatening them.

The Thais often refer them to the mafia.

Loan sharks may use intimidation and force if you don't pay back the loan, which authorised lenders would never do. 

Your loan never gets paid off

Once loan sharks get you to borrow money once, they are likely to charge such high interest rates you won't ever repay.

Any lender licensed or unlicensed, who harasses you is breaking the law. 

Officially you should report any loan shark to your local your local Trading Standards office and to the police if the loan shark threatens you or uses violence.

However, the majority are too scared to make a complaint as the loan sharks are well connected in the community.

Loan shark interest rates are extremely high, sometimes up to 300-400% interest on the loan. 

image.jpeg

file photo for reference only

Maybe, they should at least chose a photo from the country in question

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The local village loanshark in my girlfriends village in Buriram just finished building a brand new 2 story house. I was up there last week playing snooker at his house in the lower level snooker room. 
just about everyone in her village has or is currently borrowing money. 
My gfs cousin borrowed 10,000 to, yes buy a iPhone and hasn’t paid any back in 6 months. She now owes him like 35-40k and she makes 9k a month working 

Are the co-owners of a condominium also loan sharks?

I live in a condominium where too many co-owners fail to pay on time their common fees but when the Juristic Person Manager finally goes to court (as is his or her legal duty) the judge considers the interests (penalties) of 12% and 20% allowed by the Thai Condominium Act Section 18/1 as interests imposed by a loan shark.  The allowed penalties are reduced to 5% without consideration for the fact that the condominium degrades because lack of money for maintenance.

Section 18/1 In the case where a joint owner fails to make payments set forth under Section 18 with the prescribed time, such joint owner shall pay surcharge at the rate not exceeding twelve percent (12%) per year of the amount unpaid without compound interest charging provided, however, that this shall be in accordance with the requirements set forth under the Bylaws.

A joint owner with an amount in arrears under Section 18 from six months and upwards shall pay surcharge at the rate not exceeding twenty percents (20%) per year and may be suspended from receiving common services or using common property as set forth under the By-laws including the non-existence of the right to vote in the General Meeting.

UNQUOTE

• Like 2

Oh yes, loan sharks are terrible! -says people who come from countries with banks that charge 29% interest rates on credit card debt + late fees... 

Loan sharks are part of local society, accept it or move on because things will never change, especially for the lower income populations, who also want iPhones and automobiles, and a bit of flash, and which the only way to get ahead is if they actually won at gambling.

Nowadays, with Covid having crushed the economy, even people who never considered loan sharks before, must pay bills, or keep sending money to their parents.

Loan sharks have a great racket, they make money on the biweekly interest, which is what most can afford to repay while the principal is never paid-down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dkg224 said:

The local village loanshark in my girlfriends village in Buriram just finished building a brand new 2 story house. I was up there last week playing snooker at his house in the lower level snooker room. 
just about everyone in her village has or is currently borrowing money. 
My gfs cousin borrowed 10,000 to, yes buy a iPhone and hasn’t paid any back in 6 months. She now owes him like 35-40k and she makes 9k a month working 

The maximum interest rate for loans in Thailand is 15%. Contracts citing a higher interest rate are by law automatically void. If you cannot calculate interest, just use this tool:  https://vindeep.com/Calculators/emi-interest-rate-calculator.aspx

But I assume, that even the use of this calculator is too much to ask for.

A causal problem is that many do not master the dynamic interest calculation. If this were taught clearly in schools, fewer people would fall for the money sharks.

Motorcycle Honda Click new price cash 55000 baht or 10000 baht down and 36 months 2500 baht.

Many Thais cannot calculate the static and effective interest rate. Then it's easy to rip people off.

Edited by tomacht8

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

When Uni graduates here do not even know what interest rates are, loans sharks have a field day with the under educated or uneducated. 

I play a little game with 7/11 staff, while they are using calculators to work out how much change I should get, I beat them to it by adding up the items in my head as I take them off the shelves, then telling them the correct change for my 1000 baht note when I am at the checkout. Some of the looks I get are priceless.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

It is in the education. Do not spend money you do not have, if you need a loan for a bigger investment like a house, then see a bank. Latter is charging you also a fortune and takes a collateral double the value of the loan reason but still better than the gentlemen and ladies with golden rings, amulets and huge handbags. 

AFAIK there seems to be no education here about the difference between an appreciating and depreciating asset.

• Haha 1