Thai PM feels satisfied, knowing most Thais still voluntarily want to wear masks, government spokesperson says

webfact

I have 100 million USD and I want to go on a vacation with my 100 friends.

Thailand?   Masks?  What?  Skip.

Money speaks way more than anything.........I expect people will soon voluntarily not wear a mask.  Oh, you have a hotel and want customers?    Oh, you want tourists?   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

When the PM and others of him ministry will take off their masks public and the people will follow suite, there're still many business that doesn't allow you entry without a mask, so who's confused here?...

• Like 1

Being reported that masks are to remain in air conditioned buildings which would mean malls and supermarkets, offices etc

“Only fully vaccinated persons in non-high-risk groups can go mask-free in public places, though facemasks will still be required in certain places like air-conditioned buildings, entertainment venues, hospitals, public gatherings and in areas with poor ventilation.”

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2022/06/26/thailands-no-mask-mandate-comes-with-conditions-warns-ministry-2378-covid-19-new-cases-on-sunday-june-26

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spilornis said:

Being reported that masks are to remain in air conditioned buildings which would mean malls and supermarkets, offices etc

“Only fully vaccinated persons in non-high-risk groups can go mask-free in public places, though facemasks will still be required in certain places like air-conditioned buildings, entertainment venues, hospitals, public gatherings and in areas with poor ventilation.”

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2022/06/26/thailands-no-mask-mandate-comes-with-conditions-warns-ministry-2378-covid-19-new-cases-on-sunday-june-26

That seems to contradict what was supposedly posted in The Royal Gazette...(a reputedly more reliable source...????),  There is always a bit of confusion before the clarity. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I can se this turning into a 'we will but those dirty farang tourist wont' issue

Guaranteed. 

More fuel to the fire for the xenophobes that think foreigners are to blame for everything, while giving the govt. a handy excuse should cases/deaths start to rise again due to new variants. 

Yes, I will still carry on wearing a mask. I think the prime minister is right on this.

Too many dirty diseases out there, Covid, Monkeypox, Influenza Colds.  ????

Edited by Chris.B
  • Sad 2

Have the newsreaders removed theirs, yet?

We (at my office) had a clean sweep of maskless staff, last week. Today the muzzles are back on again, probably due to the "new variants" being of concern, according to the daily fearmongers.

3 hours ago, phukettrader said:

Very sad. Walking around (maskless) in CM yesterday, pretty much 100% of Thais were still muzzled while nearly 100% foreigners were maskless.

Why are you so concerned with what other people do, in their own country? If Thais feel more comfortable wearing facemasks, then that is their prerogative and they don't need foreigners coming to their country and insulting them! ????????

• Like 2

Ordinary Thais earning 12usd a day have no financial cushion even for a mild case of covid.

You can see many vendors in wet markets warning double masks. 

Anti-masking and  anti-vacciners are only for wealthy westerners with thick bankbooks.  

In Thailand, having long covid means having to beg outside a temple.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phukettrader said:

Very sad. Walking around (maskless) in CM yesterday, pretty much 100% of Thais were still muzzled while nearly 100% foreigners were maskless.

Ordinary Thais earning 12usd a day have no financial cushion even for a mild case of covid.

You can see cleaning ladies and many vendors in wet markets warning double masks. 

Anti-masking and  anti-vacciners are only for wealthy westerners with thick bankbooks.  

In Thailand, having long covid means having to beg outside a temple.  

Social safety nets are for wealthy westerner countries.  

God blessed me,  but  "  God didn't bless everyone.  "  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Yes, I will still carry on wearing a mask. I think the prime minister is right on this.

Too many dirty diseases out there, Covid, Monkeypox, Influenza Colds.  ????

Do whatever you want, but I'd suggest not looking at it under a microscope after wearing as it will probably give you nightmares if you are wearing it for "health" reasons.   

Cotton and Surgical Face Masks in Community Settings: Bacterial Contamination and Face Mask Hygiene:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34540873/

4 hours ago, phukettrader said:

Why sad? I am a foreigner in CM who wore a mask often before Covid, wore it all the time during Covid, and wear it more often than not now. There are many reasons: from shielding my nose from the sun while I am riding on the road (if cloudy I keep it under the chin), to not being bored with shaving every day, to pollution, to being old and with conditions who doesn't want to risk an infection,

or to being young and healthy but living with old and sick people, ditto. With people I know indoors I remove it. If I walk in a crowd I keep it.

And btw, I recently visited my home country in EU where there is no mask mandate in public, and it was much the same: many keep it on voluntarily in a crowded place.

I think this will be the new normal for a while, better get used to it. Enjoy your freedom, don't judge others.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, huangnon said:

Have the newsreaders removed theirs, yet?

We (at my office) had a clean sweep of maskless staff, last week. Today the muzzles are back on again, probably due to the "new variants" being of concern, according to the daily fearmongers.

There are many reasons. My wife appreciates not having to put on make-up.

And yes, many news are now without mask, thank heavens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The [PM] spouts out his daily nonsense. They are still wearing masks because you scared them into submission. They are wearing masks, because like you, the science has been ignored for so long. 

Away with the masks, and the dinosaurs go extinct and we cannot wait for that day. Your usefulness to the nation is gone, baby gone. Hopefully so are you, very soon. 

Speaking of daily spouting.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

National — Thai Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha felt very satisfied to know that the majority of Thai citizens still voluntarily wanted to wear a facial mask, the government spokesperson said.

As PM2.5 is still at lethal levels in some areas he should Wai to the people in gratitude.

5 hours ago, stoner said:

of course they are. the social conditioning that happened is remarkable. 

thai didn't think to begin with so no surprise here at all. 

PM 2.5 pollution is still here, and so is Covid to a certain level.

Thais are not as stupid as you think they are.

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I will still wear the mask in shops where there are many people and on the buses where the smell of garlic is so over powering at times. This covid is not over yet so why take chances in crowded places? 

Add PM 2.5 which many people are conveniently forgetting about and I'm with you.

My mask stays on.

Those who say get the "face nappy" off are like a child having a tantrum at being told what to do.

• Thanks 1

I have no problems wearing a mask around people who may be sick. 

I do not understand those that are disturbed by other people wearing masks.

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic photo removed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Why are you so concerned with what other people do, in their own country? If Thais feel more comfortable wearing facemasks, then that is their prerogative and they don't need foreigners coming to their country and insulting them! ????????

Wearing a mask outdoors, much less while riding a motorbike is about as useless an act one can engage in, unless you are in a very crowded area. 

Where is the science? Foreigners get it. Thais don't. Their country or not. I will call it, as I see it. 

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling and flaming comments removed

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Wearing a mask outdoors, much less while riding a motorbike is about as useless an act one can engage in, unless you are in a very crowded area. 

Where is the science? Foreigners get it. Thais don't. Their country or not. I will call it, as I see it. 

Speaking of 'the science', well, many Thais wear amulets, too. Now masks might have some utility (think hitting a golf recovery shot from behind a tree that is 95% air, yet balls still hit branches), but amulets are as useless as any Stone Age belief can be. Of course, it is their business if they want to wear one and think it protects them from anything. I don't think I will be calling them out for wearing an amulet, nor will I call them out if they choose to wear a mask.