Inmates from 12 prisons nationwide hired to clean sewage drains as a public service

snoop1130

LINE_P20220627_11431601_4-630x420.jpg

Inmates from 12 prisons nationwide were hired to clean sewage drains in 15 Bangkok districts to improve flood drainage following Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt’s intentions, starting July 1st. Pattaya is also reportedly using inmates to clear out clogged drains to reduce flooding.

Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin spoke about the progress of hiring prisoners to clean the sewers throughout Bangkok on Sunday, June 26th, that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) had contacted the Department of Corrections to request support for prisoners to work on cleaning sewers as public services, initially starting around Huai Khwang market on July 1st.

According to the Department of Drainage and Sewerage which set the scope of work, the hired prisoners from 12 prisons would clean 249.60 kilometers of drains under the responsibility of the Department and another 280.76 kilometers of drains in 15 district offices, accumulatively a distance of 280.76 kilometers.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/06/28/inmates-from-12-prisons-nationwide-hired-to-clean-sewage-drains-as-a-public-service-in-bangkok-and-pattaya/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-06-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

The shyt you get for the shyt u have done. ????

It's grey water waste sewers they clean which is waste from sinks, showers, washing machines etc, not black water drains which would be the shyty stuff.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, treetops said:

It's grey water waste sewers they clean which is waste from sinks, showers, washing machines etc, not black water drains which would be the shyty stuff.

Can you tell us where there are black water sewer drains in BKK?...As far as I know, there are no such drains!....."Septic" tank under the house.....overflow into the storm water system....

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

that is a disgusting human rights violation.

obviously those inmates are not doing it from their free will but

under all kinds of threats.

i heard once that some of them are forced to use their hands when they clean it, as

the picture above shows.

it is time that thailand, a not so poor country with some very rich tycoons who buy

expensive assets in europe, will stop this ugly abuse of power.

pay some decent payment to unemployed people and save the face of thailand.

They are going after the USA where prison is a business.

Get as many people in prison as possible, charge the government money for locking them up, use the prisoners for forced labor and pay them cents on the dollar, make sure they come out worse than how they come in, wait for a few weeks and the same person is back again for the next sentence. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know what they do with the muck that they clean from the storm sewers?   Might there be gold in that there muck?

I ask out of curiosity because of what occurred a couple of years ago at my residence.   I have a sanitary sewer access in my driveway.  The township used a device I think is called a pig, to clean the sewer line.  I didn't see how they brought the muck up from the access hole, which is about 15 feet deep, but I did see it in the back of a pick up truck.  Two employees were picking through it.  Surprisingly, the mud in the creek next to the driveway smells a lot worse than the muck from the sanitary sewer!   But only if you disturb it. 

Any way, those two guys were picking through the muck with a stick and a metal rod.  I asked what they were looking for.  Jewelry they said.  Then on guy pulls up a gold necklace out of the muck.  They then showed me rings and earrings that was found in the muck, with tiny diamonds in them.   Seems that a lot of people lose jewelry in their drains or toilets. 

They take the muck back to the the sewer department and someone goes by every week to take the muck.  I don't remember if he gets it free or if he pays for it.  But the two guys told me that the guy that takes the muck gets thousands of dollars a year in jewelry from the stuff.  

So now I am wondering if there is any thing of value in the muck that those guys in Bangkok are digging out of the storm sewers?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

Does anyone know what they do with the muck that they clean from the storm sewers?   Might there be gold in that there muck?

They make Pla-Rah from it.

Well it smells like it,  yummy.  :sick:

17 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Can you tell us where there are black water sewer drains in BKK?...As far as I know, there are no such drains!....."Septic" tank under the house.....overflow into the storm water system....

I would imagine, but don't know for sure, that big shopping malls, offices, condo developments etc would be connected to "real" toilet drainage, but even if not these guys will still not be working in the shyty stuff as it doesn't exist if everyone has a septic tank.

18 hours ago, ripstanley said:

It is probably a mistake on my behalf but the use of the word hiring means payment for work done. If this is not the case can the post be change? 

Their payment is time off their sentence.

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is definitely not a nice job...

Sometimes when I see such a group I go to the next 7/11 and buy them some soft drinks. It's not much but I think they should see that "the public" appreciates their work.

I've done the same, the guys appreciate it but there's a good chance the public don't.

5 hours ago, Edwin Cameron said:

Out of curiosity how much are they been paid or remission, one job the public wouldn't do.

Considered community service in association with criminal justice system. 

It's possible they might be compensated a small stipend but more than likely are making s**t.

This is described in a book by Christopher Moore - these abject characters covered  in human excrement stinking and  coming to the surface on Sukhumvit. I found the books by Moore to be very informative regarding Thai language and idiom but also very  useful for learning  about Thai  culture, social mores and values. Colin Piprell was good too and John Burdett.

That aside I'm sure people think that convicts in Europe should do similar  tasks. In the USA convict labour is very common and sometimes is regarded as an extension of the slave system. as described  by JL Burke in his Robicheaux series. The pitiful  thing is these sewage workers are in prison for minor crimes of non violence. The most famous prison laborer was probably  Oscar Wild damaged by picking Oakam

On 6/28/2022 at 7:14 PM, snoop1130 said:

Inmates from 12 prisons nationwide were hired to clean sewage drains in 15 Bangkok districts to improve flood drainage following Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt’s intentions, starting July 1st. Pattaya is also reportedly using inmates to clear out clogged drains to reduce flooding.

Best idea yet... next should be the rest of the trash covered city and parks.

Not forgetting the Klongs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, inThailand said:

If they are truly hired, ie paid, why give criminals a job when so many Thais are in need of work? 

You won't get regular Thai folks scrambling around in sewers, they have to import workers from Burma and Laos to empty the bins and wait tables here. 

Thais like to stand in supermarkets hiding while they play on their phones. 

39 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Best idea yet... next should be the rest of the trash covered city and parks.

Not forgetting the Klongs.

Nothing wrong with practical community service repaying the commons. 

• Like 1

This excuse for a govt can buy subs, jets,tanks etc etc etc

Cannot afford a pump truck to do this?

What is this the Thai Flintstones? Scooping sewage with a bucket?

Reminds me of the attempt to use motor boats revving their engines to stop flooding

Sometimes I am so grateful ignorance like this is not contagious but it is sad to watch & worse to support

It is inhumane at least, People fall in klongs in Bangkok & lose limbs to infections, how much worse could this be?

Edited by mania