Welcome to Thailand - where the customer is usually wrong!

webfact

Every time I hear or read about how Thailand aspires to be like S. Korea, Japan or even Singapore I say not so fast.  In my experience even a complaint to a business in a polite and constructive manner can be perceived as an attack.  I see little sense of improving from mistakes, poor product and poor service.  Just more of the “Same, Same etc”.  

I have ordered steak only once in Thailand.   I asked for medium but it was served beyond well done and the outside was charred black.   I was not going to ask for another steak but the response to the polite and constructive feedback I got was in essence “you can leave after you pay”.  I paid the 900 Baht bill and walked out.  From that day on I have not ordered steak in Thailand and rarely do I go out to an expensive restaurant. 

“If you have no or low expectations, you will not be disappointed”.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

We often ate in a Vietnamese Restaurant not far from home and they always give everyone a free pot of Salad to eat with their meal.    Last year i took a large Lettuce Leaf from the pot and found a Slug on it; so called the Waitress over and she took it away and brought another pot, all this in silence, no Wai or no Apology.    When we were ready to leave i asked to see The Manager but was told he wasn't there; so i gave the Girl my Phone Number and asked her to tell him we were regular customers and i wished to speak to him about 'The Slug'.    Never got a call; so we've never been back and tell everyone else never to go there.   Why are these people so Dumb when it comes to Customer Service ?

surprised they didn't fry the slug and return it to you

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

The problem is the serving staff are probably on minimum wage and want to keep their jobs. So they do not want to upset the boss. They are not well trained, especially in customer service, so they either don't know what to do with a complaint or don't care?

????

Yes it seems that is the attitude. If you do business here and something goes wrong. Then the usual attitude is too bad.  And you seem to have to push to correct it

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

We often ate in a Vietnamese Restaurant not far from home and they always give everyone a free pot of Salad to eat with their meal.    Last year i took a large Lettuce Leaf from the pot and found a Slug on it; so called the Waitress over and she took it away and brought another pot, all this in silence, no Wai or no Apology.    When we were ready to leave i asked to see The Manager but was told he wasn't there; so i gave the Girl my Phone Number and asked her to tell him we were regular customers and i wished to speak to him about 'The Slug'.    Never got a call; so we've never been back and tell everyone else never to go there.   Why are these people so Dumb when it comes to Customer Service ?

Wouldn't worry about a small slug in the lettuce , can happen anywhere in the world. you got an other Pot so leave it at that.

• Confused 1

I made two reviews on two different products that I ordered via Lazada recently.

The one company that had a good review from me was published while the other company didn't publish my bad review post.

It seems that Lazada isn't being totally honest with customers opinions by publishing only good reviews.

It's quite misleading

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

I have not had many problems with food quality, I usually eat at restaurants where they know me as a repeat customer.

New restaurants only get one bite of the cherry. If it looks scruffy, I don't even bother to sit down. If the food is bad, or service is slow, I say nothing, and never go back.

OTOH, if it is good, it goes on my list of repeaters.

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There is Thai service and there is farang service, and I know which I prefer. The locals don't have a clue and they don't care.

Some do.

I buy chicken biryani as a takeaway from a small restaurant nearby, it comes with a quite tasty soup.

I wanted a light lunch a couple of weeks ago, went there and asked if I could buy the soup by itself.

The owner gave me the soup free. He said I was a good customer, and wanted to keep it that way.

I was quite happy to pay, but he insisted it was a gift.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Why are these people so Dumb when it comes to Customer Service ?

They just don't care unless you're a hi-so Thai person. - Don't care about (most) customers, don't care about repeat business, don't care about losing customers, don't care about service... All one can do is "vote with one's feet".

If I'm very annoyed, I sometimes tell them that they are just losing a regular customer, but usually the person I address reminds me of the proverbial "lights are on, but nobody's home"... It's not worth losing sleep over this, as often there are alternatives.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

7 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

If that happened to me and that was their response, I'd take as many photos/videos of the incident as possible. Then I'd ask my gf to make a formal complaint to whichever relevant food hygiene authorities. That happened in a mall, not on the street and that kind of low hygiene practices can kill someone eventually.

Relevant food hygiene authorities.

Seriously! In Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Why are people so dumb period?