Thais set to pay record five baht a unit in new electricity charges from September

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Electricity set to cost 5 baht/unit

Daily News reported that the cost of electricity was set to break through the 5 baht a unit barrier for the first time. 

Electrical authorities pointed to the high cost of gas used to generate electricity.

They quoted sources at the Energy Regulatory Commission as saying that the FT rate was possibly about to change from September to December meaning that the rate per unit would border on 5 baht in the last four months of the year.

The FT rate - that is used to calculate charges - will be announced for the end of the year at the end of July.

The main problem is the rising cost of imported gas used to supplement natural gas extracted from the Gulf of Thailand. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 1

The Thai public will look like current Sri Lanka before the utility companies and gas stations raise their prices so high that the common-folk revolt.
I can absorb it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I haven't looked at the bill in a while but isn't 5 baht already about average? 

Depends on whose charging you, if it is PEA or MEA its been running me about 4.4 per unit charged by MEA here in BKK. So about a half a baht jump, or 2 Satang more.

6 minutes ago, connda said:

Hows that explain that we get our electricity from coal fired plants in Lampang.  They have sunk costs in equipment, operations, and local strip-mined coal.

What is really happening is that the corporate elites have found another way to invoke predatory wealth transfers by imposing austerity on commoners and absorbing the new excess revenue and profits.

They impose a carbon tax in Canada as we speak.Have been doing so for a couple years now.It affects the cost of living big time. That is a very expensive place to live.

• Like 2

Energy costs are becoming a burden on average Thai incomes .

Products such as air conditioners, pick up trucks will become unwanted purchases.

Looking grim for businesses in Thailand as we have known it 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, longball53098 said:

My last invoice was 4.73 THB per unit for 750 kwh and FT charges and taxes This is a PEA invoice. I never figure just the KWH costs only.

Try dividing the TOTAL COST by the number of units to give you a true cost per unit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Electricity going up 20-30% in Australia from 1 July. No different as effects of Russia stupidity

How is the US sanctioning Russia (whilst buying Russian sold gas from India at a premium) and forcing EU countries to do the same the effects of Russia's stupidity?

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

11 minutes ago, ThePugAndMe said:

How is the US sanctioning Russia (whilst buying Russian sold gas from India at a premium) and forcing EU countries to do the same the effects of Russia's stupidity?

Who mentioned the US? I stated a fact that all Australians were advised of a 20-30% increase in Electricity bills from 1 July due to Russia invading Ukraine, an unprovoked Russian stupidity

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

Worry, rationing is likely to happen throughout Europe next Winter. The Thai rulers might use this as an excuse. 

One thing is sure I cannot live in Thailand without aircon, could someone size a solar system that matches a 9k to 10k PEA monthly bill? Batteries for the night included...

• Like 1