RTP clarify how new regulations for paying traffic tickets will work - don't pay and eventually arrest warrants will be issued

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News carried a story as the RTP clarified the procedure for paying traffic fines. 

Yesterday ASEAN Now reported on a change in the law whereby offenders will be deemed to have received fines 15 days after they are sent and a 1,000 baht "late fee" will be levied.

This is all to limit the number of repeat offenders and people not paying fines at all, a perennial problem faced by the authorities in Thailand. 

At Royal Thai Police HQ yesterday deputy spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said that traffic violations spotted at the scene or via cameras will be dealt with in three ways:

1. The issuance of a ticket with the details filled in (an at the scene ticket)

2. A ticket from a camera delivered in the mail

3. An online E-ticket. 

Offenders need to pay within the time mentioned or a summons to pay will be sent in the mail 15 days after the due date. 

If still not paid the police will contact the Department of Land Transport with details of the offence to make it impossible for the offender to be able to renew their road tax and a summons will be issued to the offender as well. 

If they don't respond to two summonses the courts will be informed so that an arrest warrant can be issued. 

The RTP said that fines can be paid through every bank and cash terminals (tuu bunterm) as well as through the post and counter service locations with the sticker PTM as well as at all police stations. 

ASEAN NOW notes that many years ago traffic tickets were supposed to have been linked to the inability to pay tax at the DLT.

But many people threatened with fines found that not to be the case and simply stopped bothering to pay as there was no sanction.

This appears, on the face of it, to have now changed though only time will tell that the sytem actually works or that Thais will further decide to test the system and simple ignore payment. 

It also begs the question as to whether some people who don't bother to renew tax and/or who have moved from the address where they have registered their vehicles or themselves can actually be traced. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Guess I'll have to stop throwing me fines in the bin.

Third option "online E-ticket".... i assume is sent to an email address, How does the police get my email address ?

at Pattaya Transport office they've been asking for mobile number for a while now, maybe they'll ask for email or just use mobile

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

at Pattaya Transport office they've been asking for mobile number for a while now, maybe they'll ask for email or just use mobile

When I did my annual road tax for the car this past April the DLT wanted an e-mail address, as well as needing one when registering with the DLT e-learning program.

26 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

What happens if the Photo enforced camera citation is never received at the individuals residence.  I understand they will send them by certified mail, but sometimes items never truly arrive.

As the OP stated, if the fine is not paid, whether it was received or (allegedly) not received (but registered mail does need to be signed for) then a summons will be issued, then a 2nd, then an arrest warrant.  Loads of warnings.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do they ask for an email address on the licence application document or the car registration docs?   I can't remember.

Not that I can recall... but it has been many years since I applied for my licence.

My cars and  bikes are registered in a company name, Defo no email provided.

It's not only here, story the other day of hundreds of millions owing in my home state of Qld Australia. The late fee applied is 80 (abt 2kbaht) and if you seek to pay the fine off you have to provide copious amounts of information to them. If you are really poor you can pick up litter and work it off at 25$A per hour. Of course in providing all that information to them they can use it subsequently to impound your license or car or even garnish your bank account. Best off providing nothing, give them the run around and eventually pay it. I for one consider the rationale trotted out about saving lives to be rubbish, police on the road will deter bad behaviour, sitting behind a screen will not. There is virtually no physical traffic enforcement now, only the nightly helicopter chases through the outer suburbs of stolen high end cars driven by gangs of methed up 14 year olds who get taken to KFC when they're caught given a good feed and sent home. Everything else is revenue raising.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

3. An online E-ticket.

Well, Your Honor, it went automatically to my Spam Folder which gets deleted after a month..., just like the Nigerian stuff.

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

What happens if the Photo enforced camera citation is never received at the individuals residence.  I understand they will send them by certified mail, but sometimes items never truly arrive.

Even more daring and stimulating, what if the greater majority stand pat and refuse to pay any fines in any manner towards such trivial offences - all of which are designed to increase revenue, less about the safety and well being of the population. Whatta they gonna do.......put everyone in jail? 

Resistance in numbers, baby!

Edited by zzaa09
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

quote"It also begs the question as to whether some people who don't bother to renew tax and/or who have moved from the address where they have registered their vehicles or themselves can actually be traced."  unquote

your license plate number is registered at an address to send the fine to. And in my province, I have at least 1 or 2 times a month a police stop to check the ticket window on date. No change to escape it for over a month.  

4 hours ago, webfact said:

f still not paid the police will contact the Department of Land Transport with details of the offence to make it impossible for the offender to be able to renew their road tax and a summons will be issued to the offender as well. 

I think they already do this.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

If still not paid the police will contact the Department of Land Transport with details of the offence to make it impossible for the offender to be able to renew their road tax

Probably makes little difference if you have none in the first place

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Offenders need to pay within the time mentioned or a summons to pay will be sent in the mail 15 days after the due date. 

Seems to me that the mails service do not need to put up prices, the RTP are about to make the mail service profitable on their own with over supply of mail

7 hours ago, webfact said:

If still not paid the police will contact the Department of Land Transport with details of the offence

Recorded voice:  "This is the Department of Land Transport. You are currently number 45 in the queue........"  Recorded song plays 'Whos sorry now'

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I just got my only ticket in over 40 years of driving in LoS by snail mail., camera had me on some forbidden white lines. Went to Krungthai bank immediately and paid the B500. Good boy yes ?

10 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Even more daring and stimulating, what if the greater majority stand pat and refuse to pay any fines in any manner towards such trivial offences - all of which are designed to increase revenue, less about the safety and well being of the population. Whatta they gonna do.......put everyone in jail? 

Resistance in numbers, baby!

How does that scenario works out in your home country?

18 hours ago, webfact said:

If they don't respond to two summonses the courts will be informed so that an arrest warrant can be issued. 

How about 30 days to pay.

After that you get a knock on the door from the local police?

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Most number plates I see, bar red ones, appear illegible .....and many motorcycles deliberately mount them at 45 degrees...doubt the camera will get that as it flies by at 150kph. 

• Like 1

How will new 'red' plates be handled?  These are re-used when given out after buying a new car / truck.

New motorcycles do not always get a "red" plate when bike is first bought.  This is province (or city??) dependent (Bangkok - no, Pattaya - yes, ... ).  If no plate then ???

Can we all assume any tickets sent in the mail prior to this getting posted in the Gazette are just fire starter?

When we foreigners move we must update our license address (or re-register our cars / motorcycles) when going to a new province - get a new province plate.  Thai's do not have to so how will this be enforced for Thai's?

19 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I assume this new rule doesn’t apply to (insert expensive car name here) owners, as is usual. 

Tickets are never issued for these brands.  I tucked in behind a BMW driving from Surin; he sailed through all police checkpoints untroubled.

What I can never understand is that they make a new rule . But can't see they need to change the old rule to implement the new one.. like what comes first the chicken or the egg...I cant understand why it's not so simple to implement .the government or powers to be must have brains the size of peas....