New regulations for traffic violation notifications

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Delayed fine payment will incur a 1,000 baht “late fee” and the annual extension of the vehicle’s registration will be suspended until the fine is paid.

Um, lots of unregistered motorbikes and vehicles up here in Isaan where motorists ride/drive past the comedy Capper cops only seen directing traffic before and after school, people blatantly breaking the law with other matters also, right in front of them.

The so called 1,000 baht "late fee" and annual extension of the vehicle's registration not being renewed will only cost the government as people will not pay the fine, that said, they don't give a rats a$$ whether they renew their registration.

If they want to get serious, add to that, license cancellation, ooops, forgot, most people up here don't that either, maybe jail time, oooops, over crowded.

Perhaps towing the vehicle or bike to a storage facility incurring daily charges until the fine is paid, or then auction the bike/vehicle off after a set date.

Can't believe how many decades behind the rest of the world Thailand is, especially with the lazy so called "police force". Will they lick the stamp ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Pathetic; just helps those offenders ignore the fines and will then cause more wasted time and expense trying to find them and collect.     Best thing to do would be send a notice with the fine stating if not paid within 30 days the Vehicle will be towed away and crushed.    Wonder how many 'Do you know who i am' calls they would get ?   Lol.

OK. They can't locate the drivers but can magically locate the vehicles to tow and crush?

Any way you look at it, police work is needed. That's where the ball is dropped.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

There is no specifically trained police section to deal with traffic

Oh yes there is, and as an ex Tourist Police Volunteer, my colleagues and I used to work with them at local festivals. They do not have a dedicated hot line number, however the Highway Police "free phone" number is 1193.

National Thai police chief orders investigation into how traffic cops are  "rewarded" • Samui Times

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

I drove through about 5 manned speed traps and subsequent police checkpoints between Chiang Mai and Bangkok. They were selectively pulling drivers aside but I'm not sure if it was directly related to the speed traps and cameras. 

Anyway the road toll is a disgrace, so something should be done.

Good step in the right direction. Better get your car registration address updated or you're up for a few fines. 

'Ohhh but I never received the fine notice'.

"Is this your address?"

'No'

"Bad luck, pay the fine."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

Will these tickets be sent via recorded delivery? If not, I don't see how they can be considered received. 

Spot on. We go weeks, sometimes months without any delivery of mail even though we know letters have been sent. Our local post office has an appalling record of failing to deliver and a high turnover of delivery staff who we suspect simply dump much of their mail. Complaints are met with little more than a shrug of the shoulders.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thunglom said:

From the  moment of the offence to the time of collection ,Thailand doesn't have the infrastructure to do this.

The roads are not marked sufficiently.

How are instruments calibrated and checked"

Not only can they not make a proper arrest of notification they can't measure up and analyse incidents or offences.

Then even if a penalty is allegedly incurred, there is not legal/court system to deal with issuing a penalty and then the final step, chase it up.

To operate a proper road safety system, there need to be fundamental reforms to the police (constitutional reforms, that is) and to the legal system. I can't see the military dominated government acceding to this.

I agree with you. But I think your last sentence is funny.

Thailand had for many years democratically elected leaders, i.e. for more than 10 years the criminal fugitive. Did he reform the police? Did he even try? Elected or not doesn't really make much difference, they all do little for the people and make sure their own pockets are filled.

Presumably this doesn't apply to fines before the Royal Gazette announcement which can be safely ignored. 

These days the fines are actually very easy to pay. You just pay online instantly using the bar or QR code on the ticket.  Previously it was complicated to figure out how to pay them which is part of the reason that people didn't. 

Personally I think it is fair dos, now that it is easy to pay. They are still not talking about points off licence, thank god.  I have no idea how many I got away with ignoring in the past.  

My only concern is that the car the missus drives is in my name and the car her brother drives is her name.  I will get to pay for all including my own. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thunglom said:

From the  moment of the offence to the time of collection ,Thailand doesn't have the infrastructure to do this.

The roads are not marked sufficiently.                   

How are instruments calibrated and checked"

Not only can they not make a proper arrest of notification they can't measure up and analyse incidents or offences.

Then even if a penalty is allegedly incurred, there is not legal/court system to deal with issuing a penalty and then the final step, chase it up.

To operate a proper road safety system, there need to be fundamental reforms to the police (constitutional reforms, that is) and to the legal system. I can't see the military dominated government acceding to this.

a lot of good points here  but i think it will help ...    most of the points will be ignored only the hiso will contest a ticket     i hope the fines will continue and people will learn to follow the rules  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RandiRona said:

It's not that there arent enough laws, its intent to prosecute and execute which is the problem.

Indeed, I am waiting to see how this measure is going to be enforced, especially when it comes to “do you know who I am” characters. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Pathetic; just helps those offenders ignore the fines and will then cause more wasted time and expense trying to find them and collect.     Best thing to do would be send a notice with the fine stating if not paid within 30 days the Vehicle will be towed away and crushed.    Wonder how many 'Do you know who i am' calls they would get ?   Lol.

It is very similar to the system used in the UK which seems to work