Prayut Held Responsible For 21bn Baht ‘Foolish Waste’ On Engineless Chinese Sub

webfact

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Actually the reason they walk is because if defeated politically, they have tanks and guns which his ilk are absolutely prepared to use, as they showed at Thammasart University in 1976.

The whole Parliament thing is a dog and pony show to give the illusion of a modicum of Democracy. Nobody believes it of course, but the domestic audience can't (won't) do anything about it and the international audience has bigger fish to fry.

But that was 46 years ago and Thailand is far more visible internationally now than it was then

Whilst the military have large numbers, the majority are unwilling conscripts who also have guns. In addition they have mobile phones and access to the internet.

What would the military leaders do if the conscripts refuse to shoot the protestors? Remember that they also have guns and if you shoot a few there are a lot more left, and they will not be happy troops.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I don't think installing a subs engine is as simple as opening a hatch and craning it in. Access through the pressure Hull is very limited. If the constructor has no engine(s) for the Thai sub they cannot complete the build. Is the engine installed before the hull is completed?

Usually, I think that they are, along with the batteries and anything that is not small enough to fit through the access hatches when the hull is finally sealed,

5 hours ago, Purdey said:

I suspect the commissions have already been paid so it is difficult to backtrack now. Diesel engines for subs can be bought secondhand I guess so that’s one way. Who on earth is the potential enemy a sub can protect against is beyond me. Could be Laos.????

How about Burma?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, placnx said:

How about Burma?

It appears Thailand should be concerned with Myanmar as they are an ocean front country that has big friends in Russia and China as well. Myanmar is also substantially larger than Thailand. Additionally Myanmar has Subs already.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/12/myanmar-commissions-type-35b-ming-class-submarine-from-china/

Size or Area of Myanmar (Burma) is 676,578 square kilometers 

Thailand, spans 513,120 square kilometers,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_in_the_Myanmar_Navy#Submarines

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

ave to have an engine to reverse those screws or thrusters...

No, not needed, just hit the siren 4 button which gives the specific command to the sailors of 'pedal backwards fast'. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, wombat said:

Now now...the Gulf of Siam may be too shallow for a sub but it can park up engine less at the sub base China has built in Cambodia.

More useful along side the plane less aircraft carrier for the yearly children's day visits. 

21 hours ago, wombat said:

Now now...the Gulf of Siam may be too shallow for a sub but it can park up engine less at the sub base China has built in Cambodia.

Why not just keep the motor-less sub on the deck of the plane-less aircraft carrier? That deck isn't being used for anything else  

22 hours ago, Edwin Cameron said:

Put a 'Submarine' tax on all the Chinese that are coming to Thailand, also garnishee Prayut's wages and make him pay for HIS mistakes, I'm sure there was a nice little 'Backhander' in it for him in the first instance.

Even if they took all his wages it would still take 15,500 years to recoup the 21billion !!

On 7/23/2022 at 2:56 AM, webfact said:

“foolish waste” of the taxpayer’s money amounting to 21 billion baht i

When I was in politics I was so "dumb" to spend 100 billion on 30 projects that absolutely failed.  The common man hated me.  I was fired.  Sent home packing.  Embarrassed.  But, mind you, 1 billion baht richer in my hidden bank accounts suckers!!!!!!!     and a lifetime of free stuff abroad!!!

thanks for playing/paying taxpayers....

22 hours ago, billd766 said:

But that was 46 years ago and Thailand is far more visible internationally now than it was then

Whilst the military have large numbers, the majority are unwilling conscripts who also have guns. In addition they have mobile phones and access to the internet.

What would the military leaders do if the conscripts refuse to shoot the protestors? Remember that they also have guns and if you shoot a few there are a lot more left, and they will not be happy troops.

What the Military Leaders would do is jump on waiting Planes to take them to their plush homes in other countries already bought and paid for with dirty money.  No doubt they would award themselves another Medal for being clever enough to leave the turmoil they created.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, billd766 said:

Whilst the military have large numbers, the majority are unwilling conscripts

That's not accurate, according to the 2020 stats there were 360,000 active duty members of the Thai armed forces and 200,000 reserves.  In 2018 there were 60,000 slots for conscripts, 77,000 in 2017 so the majority are not unwilling conscripts.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's not accurate, according to the 2020 stats there were 360,000 active duty members of the Thai armed forces and 200,000 reserves.  In 2018 there were 60,000 slots for conscripts, 77,000 in 2017 so the majority are not unwilling conscripts.

And the rest are all Generals?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Only the subs, his government didn't buy the fake bomb detectors.

But he was in charge of the military when the fake bomb detectors were bought?

He wasn't appointed army chief until 2010, two years after the purchases of the detectors ended (2006-2008).

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

What the Military Leaders would do is jump on waiting Planes to take them to their plush homes in other countries already bought and paid for with dirty money.  No doubt they would award themselves another Medal for being clever enough to leave the turmoil they created.

That happened in Venezuela when I was there. The coup failed, the Airforce generals flew to Columbia in a Hercules.

When the Columbians asked Venezuela if they wanted the generals back, the Venezuelans politely said no but please send the aircraft back and any of the troops who want to come home.

But please keep the generals, as we don't want them.

deleted post

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the conscripts were willing to serve there would be no conscripts. Ergo, conscripts are unwilling.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

He will never be charged @spidermike007 remember he passed a law that gives him and his crew amnesty for any perceived wrong doings while running the government.  However, I can no longer find a link that shows this.....looks like certain items have once again been washed from the internet.

TIT. Laws can be changed by an incoming government, and failing that the constitution can be rewritten.