Climate change, global warming, net zero emissions – What has Thailand done so far?

webfact

image.jpeg

A worker stands beside floating solar panels for the Sirindhorn Dam hydro-solar farm run by the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) in Ubon Ratchathani on February 23, 2022. (Photo by Jack TAYLOR / AFP)

By Nad Bunnag, Thai PBS World

Thailand is among many countries facing issues with climate change. With many world leaders committing to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and global warming, what has Thailand done so far?

Thai PBS World recently talked to an honorary expert and Member of the National Committee on Climate Change Policy, Prasertsuk Patoonsittichai, who works closely with the Thai government in the development of policies related to environmental issues, particularly in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and the carbon footprint.

What has been done so far?

Thailand’s National Committee on Climate Change Policy was established by the government, which has the mandate to define climate change and environmental-related policies at a national level. Chaired by the prime minister, the committee also involves different ministries, members of the public and private sectors, academic institutions and climate change experts like herself.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/climate-change-global-warming-net-zero-emissions-what-has-thailand-done-so-far/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-07-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

In Thailand many people use motorcycles and not cars which use a lot more gasoline.

And there are not so many people who use planes all the time - especially to go on holidays.

I guess these things don't show up on some global lists "what have you done" but it certainly makes a difference. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

not so much.. nowhere solar panels to be seen, electric cars loading points only a few available....polution by burning ricefields, overcrowded roads and a lot blacksmole cars will not reduce the pollution... So in fact nothing.. Even where ever you come try to find a bin on a street, or shopping mall.. If there is one it is small or overloaded

I  have seen quite a lot of Hybrid vehicles around, and quite a few pals have supplemented their home power with panels..... but a very long way to go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Net  Zero is ridiculous, it will never happen but why not get China and India to cut down? They are by far the largest contributors.

Quite right except that US is the second largest greenhouse gas emissions at 4,745 million metric tons while India is third with 2,310 million metric tons (2019 data). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is among many countries facing issues with climate change. With many world leaders committing to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and global warming, what has Thailand done so far?

Talk?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I  have seen quite a lot of Hybrid vehicles around, and quite a few pals have supplemented their home power with panels..... but a very long way to go. 

No electric cars, no electric buses in my area, but the old girl up the road got an electric tricycle.

Silent ninja.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Stay strong Thailand, in California the people are being told not to use too much electricity.

The power grid cannot take it.  Maybe Tesla should get a few nuclear power plants built before flooding the

market with more cars and pickups.  Just a thought.  How about Thailand, can the country handle

all the forecasted Electric cars and trucks?  Besides Carbon Dioxide is a trace gas, less than one percent of the atmosphere.

The climate alarmists seem to forget this fact.

I don't forget the fact carbon dioxide has risen from 300 ppm to more than 400 ppm since the start of the Industrial age, and is still trending up. I also don't forget the fact carbon dioxide traps the sun's radiation, the so-called greenhouse gas effect. Check out the planet Venus to see where that goes.

How many posters have any formal training in thermodynamics? Without that, the chances of understanding global warming and climate change are SFA.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JCauto said:

Because they wish to follow the science that overwhelmingly backs such policy?

Perhaps the eminent poster would care to provide their credentials and world-class research that has been peer-reviewed to open a reasonable discussion about minutiae of the policy or scientific consensus? Of course they wouldn't, because the "Climate Change is a hoax" crowd have long coalesced into a confederacy of dunces. But do tell us about it, now that you've exhausted your research on epidemiology or whatever other Youtube U you "graduated" from. 

Do some research. Study the data. You will find there is a lot more to the story.

Start with 1908 to 1942.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Not long ago the scientists were warning us about global cooling,what happened to that?

No there were some press reports but no science to back it up:

Global cooling was a conjecture, especially during the 1970s, of imminent cooling of the Earth culminating in a period of extensive glaciation, due to the cooling effects of aerosols or orbital forcing. Some press reports in the 1970s speculated about continued cooling; these did not accurately reflect the scientific literature of the time

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You say education, I say woke globalist political indoctrination. 

What field of science was your degree in?..............lol

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've got a science degree (Bath University) and a postgrad in education (Bristol University).

How about you?

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

No electric cars, no electric buses in my area, but the old girl up the road got an electric tricycle.

Silent ninja.

This is great, as oil and gas from Australia will be coming down in price with a greenie in charge

The big supermarket chains, 7-11, etc. should be obliged to take back their packaging waste and dispose of it in an environmentally friendly way. At present, most of the packaging waste is only unfiltered incinerated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

You haven't told us what your degree is yet. What, you understand science but didn't finish high school? 

I have in another field but nothing to do with science so irrelevant and I also never posted a claim that I did unlike you, if its a problem naming the science discipline, fine, there are dozens of them.