To sell or not to sell, that is the question for Thai Expats

webfact

image.jpeg

file photo

OPINION | by Michael Bridge

Gone were the heady days when one could arrive at Don Muang airport and get THB75 to the pound and feel like a millionaire.

In fact, in the late 1990s, one pound actually reached THB92 for a brief period. Oh happy days.

The pound's recent lowest point was THB 36.6 in August 2019, and we know how miserable that felt.

Currently, the pound was worthTHB44.6 on July 28th certainly going up since THB42.07 was recorded in June.

Those getting funds from the States have seen the dollar climb from THB32.11 on February 18th to THB36.67 on July 28th, 2022.

So many of us are at least getting more Baht for our bucks or quids at the moment.

Trying to understand why is a tricky business for sure.

One would have thought that with Thailand’s travel industry demise, rising inflation, and uncertainty within the government, that the baht would be even weaker.

Hedging ones bet

OK when things get tougher in the old day’s people would hedge their bets by buying gold, however that has not been the case this past six months.

Back on January 27, 2022, a gram of gold was going for $57.84 and on July 26th it was down to $55.23 a gram. 

Even when Russia invaded Ukraine back in March gold only went up to $66.42 a gram for a short spell. 

Meanwhile those clever investors who sold their bitcoins some time ago made a pretty penny or ten thousand, I am sure.

However how many have now been caught with expensive real estate investments based on a buoyant crypto market, only to wake up to a huge mortgage and little in crypto value to support it left.

Seems the Dollar is offering a safer route at the moment, as in uncertain periods such as we are experiencing today, people have tended to support the world’s largest economy.

If you are lucky to still have a bundle of pounds or a wad of dollars, should you hold onto them or go to a reliable currency exchange and buy Thai Baht?

Who knows?

With the world’s economy in trouble and the cost of living rising will that mean the promised high season in Thailand is unlikely to materialize.

If China which has its own issues with a slow economy and coping with the Pandemic affecting its output, then decides to slow down on importing Thai goods and it stops investing in High-speed railway projects here, that will certainly hurt the economy.

Meanwhile, they may have gotten rid of Boris but is the possible new Prime Minister, the current Foreign Secretary Liz Truss, going to lift the UK economy with her planned tax cutting programmes?

OAP Biden seems to blunder from one crisis to another without really achieving much. 

Trump is breathing down his neck as well and is waiting to return in triumph.

And do we really want a mogul who does not pay his taxes back in the headmaster’s seat again?

I suppose the future is so uncertain that it may be better to take up playing golf and then join the LIV Golf tour and get some serious cash.

Good luck.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump is breathing down his neck as well and is waiting to return in triumph.

And do we really want a mogul who does not pay his taxes back in the headmaster’s seat again?

I suppose the future is so uncertain that it may be better to take up playing golf and then join the LIV Golf tour and get some serious cash.

That's what Trump is doing:

Trump defends hosting Saudi-backed LIV Golf tour amid backlash from 9/11 families - CBS News

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not complaining I live a very comfortable life in Thailand but yes I remember the days when my monthly pension was in the 100,000s per month those days will never return but if it got to 50 bht to the £ I wouldn’t complain  I did get 46 bht via wise not so long ago I bring it in when and as required 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Leaving the EU will prove to be a wise decision over the course of time.

Back to the future.

The docks strike of 1970 was a major industrial action by dockers in the United Kingdom that raised fears of food shortages and led to a proclamation of a state of emergency by Queen Elizabeth II.
Dockers struck for a pay rise of £11 per week (£109 at 2003 prices) on 15 July 1970 and around 47,000 dockers were involved nationally. The strike seriously cut imports and exports and cost the British economy between £50 and £100 million (£495 and 990 million at 2003 prices). The British Army were stood by to protect food supplies but most dockers agreed to handle perishable goods and the strike was largely peaceful. The dockers lost £4 million (£40 million at 2003 prices) in wages.
A court of inquiry was convened under Lord Pearson and proposed an average 7% increase in pay. Though this was at first rejected by the dockers, it was ultimately accepted on 30 July.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docks_strike_of_1970

19 May – The government made a £20 million loan available to help save the financially troubled luxury car and aircraft engine manufacturer Rolls Royce.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_in_the_United_Kingdom

The 1971 United Kingdom postal workers strike was a strike in the United Kingdom staged by postal workers between January and March 1971.
The strike was Britain's first national postal strike and began after postal workers demanded a pay rise of 15-20% then walked out after Post Office managers made a lower offer. The strike began on 20 January and lasted for seven weeks, finally ending with an agreement on Thursday 4 March. After voting over the weekend, the strikers returned to work on Monday 8 March 1971. The strike overlapped with the introduction of decimal currency in the U.K.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_United_Kingdom_postal_workers_strike

4 February – Rolls-Royce went bankrupt and was nationalised.
1 March – An estimated 120,000 to 250,000 "kill the bill" protesters went on strike against the 1971 Industrial Relations Act in London.
19 April – Unemployment reached a post-Second World War high of nearly 815,000.
24 June – The EEC agreed terms for Britain's proposed membership and it was hoped that the nation will join the EEC next year.
28 October: The House of Commons voted in favour of joining the EEC by a vote of 356-244.
Undated:Inflation stood at a 30-year high of 8.6%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_in_the_United_Kingdom

9 January – The National Union of Mineworkers held a strike ballot in which 58.8% voted in favour. Coal miners begin a strike which lasts for seven weeks, including picketing of Saltley coke depot in Birmingham.
20 January – Unemployment exceeded 1,000,000 for the first time since the 1930s-almost double the 582,000 who were unemployed when Edward Heath's Conservative government came to power less than two years ago.
9 February – A State of emergency was declared as a result of the miners' strike.
23 June – The Chancellor of the Exchequer Anthony Barber announced a decision to float the Pound.
28 July – A strike by thousands of dockers led to the government announcing a state of emergency on 4 August.
6 November – The government introduced price and pay freezes to counter inflation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_in_the_United_Kingdom

People have short memories, the glory days of the high exchange rates were the last time world went through a cycle of high inflation etc. Current economic climate will probably lead to high exchange again BUT its not without its consequences. You may get double the exchange rate along with the price of any imports doubling, a huge increase in interest rates on any debt you have etc.

You may get more at the exchange booth, but the English breakfast at ye old replica English pub will be more, imported cheese will cost more than gold, the real value of a fixed pension will diminish.

• Like 2

Question is... why is the THB on the watchlist?...... I strongly believe that there is a lot of manipulation of the money in Thailand. If theCentral bank buys alot of US$ theTHB seems strong, but in fact it is caused by the bank and if the THB weakens they sell and get the profit..and start over again.. 

There are always two sides to the forex coin. Inward remitters are benefitting and so will exports. Those sending funds overseas or importing or buying imported goods and raw materials are suffering - prices will/are increasing. The Dollar is too strong. Whatever it is .... we are either a victim or we benefit .... so manage it has to be managed accordingly ... no-one will else is going to help.

• Like 1

Looks like the FED upped the basis points by another 75 basis points yesterday, well that's US time, lets see where that takes the USD.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2022/07/27/fed-raises-interest-rates-by-75-basis-points-again-as-investors-brace-for-recession/

At the conclusion of its two-day policy meeting, the Federal Open Markets Committee said Wednesday afternoon it voted unanimously to raise the federal funds rate (the rate at which commercial banks borrow and lend reserves) by 75 basis points, for a second time in a row, to a target range of 2.25% to 2.5%. 

I know that housing interest rates in the US will now go over 6% if they have not already.

Edited by ThailandRyan

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I know that housing interest rates in the US will now go over 6% if they have not already.

are you talking about mortgage rates? 

I think 30-year was around 5.3 to 5.6 in certain places, DOWN from last week.  Odds of it going up after this hike after this hike seems very, very unlikely.   Trend is up, so 6% should happen soon.  

Not really how these things work, usually.  and usually i'm wrong.  lol

11 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

are you talking about mortgage rates? 

I think 30-year was around 5.3 to 5.6 in certain places, DOWN from last week.  Odds of it going up after this hike after this hike seems very, very unlikely.   Trend is up, so 6% should happen soon.  

Not really how these things work, usually.  and usually i'm wrong.  lol

The basis point hike makes it more expensive to borrow and why rates for mortgages, yes sorry I did not place that in my post, will rise.  Let's see what the ex hange rates do. Today the dollar dropped to 36 26 Thb per $1.  Down almost a half of a thb.