Life without a credit card in Thailand

15 hours ago, ripstanley said:

In 2019 I had an operation in Phayao Ram (a private hospital). They accepted a cash deposit. So your initial statement is incorrect.

My reference  was to one hospital which happens to be in Pattaya.  For major operations ,if you do not have Insurance, I suspect a CC will be asked for-maybe I am wrong but... 

43 minutes ago, pattaya1234was said:

My reference  was to one hospital which happens to be in Pattaya.  For major operations ,if you do not have Insurance, I suspect a CC will be asked for-maybe I am wrong but... 

I suspect not as have used cash/debit cards at 3 major hospitals here in Bangkok without issue.  What may be asked is pre payment or a portion of payment but that can be in cash or debit card withdrawal.  This is also true at government hospitals.  

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

To address your main point though except for some utilities, and some tradesman looking for cash jobs which I reject, I find there is seldom discounts for cash or debit card. For those  that do the extra fee is normally the same as the points. I think businesses for a long time accept that people want to use new technologies and there are advantages for record keeping and not having to muck around with cash. Obviously though in Thailand sometimes cash is the only practical payment method for some small businesses. For those businesses that can accept card but offer discounts to avoid tax I would say don't support them.

Rarely use CC in UK but only out of necessity or convenience never to get points or cash back. Its just a distraction like those Green  Shield Stamps- A con trick  and waste  of time.

Credit  cards were introduced  to make money out of people not to benefit  people. Cheques worked fine.

Credit  cards encourage people to get into debt buying things they  don't need.

Regarding  car hire and some hotels  check in. Just get a card with a very low limit on it. 200 dollars.

Regarding  convenience of use- it's a thing of the past- transactions are cancelled and  delayed for all kinds of spurious reasons.

Regarding 'discounts'

Its not that you  bargain  for a discount it just that  things are cheaper when buy with cash.

CCs prices  are dearer or there are handling  fees.

1 hour ago, pattaya1234was said:

I had no CC for a long time. I deposited  cash and passport at BPH and another hospital

17 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Scam waste of time. The only people who benefit  financially from  CCs are the credit  card companies. Every single  cent you claw back or redeem (buying things you didn't  need) you could have bought cheaper with cash or debit card. Points! LOL

100% non sense! LOL

Scenario # 1: I invite a customer for lunch in a 5-star hotel and I pay with my credit card.

1.The price I pay IS the same that if I had paid with cash.

2. This transaction will give me points and I'll be able to use these points to get some rewards (free lunch, free ice creams, discounts @ the big malls, discounts at hotels, etc.)

3. The money isn't directly taken from my account. This transaction could be paid, free of charge, up to 50 days after the actual date.

4. Last but not least, it's a business expense and I can claim it back!

Scenario # 2: I fill the tank of my car @ the petrol station and I pay with my credit card.

2. This transaction will give me points and I'll be able to use these points to get some rewards (free lunch, free ice creams, discounts @ the big malls, discounts at hotels, etc.)

3. The money isn't directly taken from my account. This transaction could be paid, free of charge, up to 50 days after the actual date.

Scenario # 3: I pay a return ticket to Europe and I pay with my credit card.

4. With my credit card I get a free and comprehensive travel insurance.

Scenario # 4: I buy a new laptop (for example) and I pay with my credit card.

3. The money isn't directly taken from my account. This transaction could be paid, free of charge, up to 50 days after the actual date or I can take advantage of a 10-month interest free scheme.

4. If during the first 90 days my new device is stolen, broken or lost, the credit card company will pay for a brand new one.

PS: I don't have to pay the annual credit card fees!

So, please tell me where is the problem?

LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fab5BKK said:

100% non sense! LOL

Scenario # 1: I invite a customer for lunch in a 5-star hotel and I pay with my credit card.

4. Last but not least, it's a business expense and I can claim it back!

Scenario # 2: I fill the tank of my car @ the petrol station and I pay with my credit card.

Scenario # 3: I pay a return ticket to Europe and I pay with my credit card.

4. With my credit card I get a free and comprehensive travel insurance.

Scenario # 4: I buy a new laptop (for example) and I pay with my credit card.

3. The money isn't directly taken from my account. This transaction could be paid, free of charge, up to 50 days after the actual date or I can take advantage of a 10-month interest free scheme.

4. If during the first 90 days my new device is stolen, broken or lost, the credit card company will pay for a brand new one.

PS: I don't have to pay the annual credit card fees!

So, please tell me where is the problem?

LOL

I think you need to give it more thought!

Actually I am wrong  in one respect- the new touch and go credit card system is really good and  cuts down  on queues at the bar but so  do payment apps . Both have led to reduction  in tips.

I just did  a quick  tally of 12 people in the UK and Thailand- all credit  card users none ever think about them in terms of rewards. Perhaps  it's an American  thing.

But the idea that you make money by spending money is a fantasy.

Credit cards are the major cause of debt, overspending  and Bankruptcy in many countries.

They are useful at times and sometimes  we are forced  to use  them. The best advice is if you must have one keep a low credit limit on it.

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Actually I am wrong  in one respect- the new touch and go credit card system is really good and  cuts down  on queues at the bar but so  do payment apps . Both have led to reduction  in tips.

I just did  a quick  tally of 12 people in the UK and Thailand- all credit  card users none ever think about them in terms of rewards. Perhaps  it's an American  thing.

Credit cards are the major cause of debt, overspending  and Bankruptcy in many countries.

They are useful at times and sometimes  we are forced  to use  them. The best advice is if you must have one keep a low credit limit on it.

I used my Amex card in the US to pay my mortgage and all of my household bills, no issues, paid it in full every month, and earned enough airmiles with Delta to pay for my flights to Thailand and back in First Class.  My Black card I have has great perks, free lounges, concierge services etc......

So tell me how I did not make any money and it is a fantasy....never overspent, and do not buy items I do not need.  No extra fees were charged on the items I used the cards for, just obtained perks.  Of course there are the annual fees I pay but then the rewards far outweigh the annual fee.  However, as a business person, my cards were used quite a bit, however, now, not so much.  I still pay for items in the US monthly, such as power bills, storage facility, and my property managers fees, which he reduced his fee to cover the 2% card charge he charges for accepting the card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Allo!

It's not just about "rewards"! Did you, truly, read and understand, my post?

BTW, I do not pay a single THB of interest/fee linked to my credit card activity! Got it?

Therefore, how could I do "overspending" and how could I be "in debt"?

You, really, have to open your mind a little bit and start to think...

I hope you aren't / weren't in a senior finance position.

On 8/21/2022 at 1:11 AM, Chris.B said:

Never heard of Skrill and Chime. USA only or UK as well?

Skrill's parent company is based in Ireland so I assume they accept U.K. customers.   Chime is based in San Francisco, not sure about them.   

On 8/20/2022 at 4:43 PM, Robin said:

Do you have a Thai Credit/debit/ ATM card?  Can be useful in LOS, but remember it is Debit card and might have a low spending limit, and not much use for on-line purchases.  Check with you issuing bank.

I have always kept a UK credit card (Mastercard) to use for emergencies and buying air tickets via Expedia, but be aware that Mastercard will not send you a new card to Thailand

Genmerally i do not find a Credit card very useful in LOS.  Most retailers do not want you to use it and my Kbank card does not give me a statement or any credit, so only a very limited debit/atm card

Hopefully sometime in the next 100 yrs Thailand will catch up with the west on this (Thailand 4.0?)

You can use a Thai bank debit card for online payments. Thailand has had for a very long time you could do payments with an ATM machine, long before the West. Maybe your knowledge of Thai banking needs an upgrade. The low spending limit is your personal problem as with enough funds you can set the limit high.