Would you get in one of these ?

CharlieH

2 minutes ago, proton said:

can you imagine one of these on Thai roads, would not last an hour

Sure it would, with all of the cameras surrounding the vehicle and assisting in it's operation, you might not get anywhere quickly because of the motorbikes.  Again your biased because you hate anything CCP....

• Like 1

No

For truck on knows roads that might work.

But for cars on all kinds of roads in all kinds of conditions there will be lots of restrictions and imperfections for a long time.

And I think the whole concept is flawed. As far as I know the current situation is that some cars drive automatic while the "driver" does nothing. And in case of something unusual the driver is supposed to take over. Does that make sense?

More and more new drivers will be used to "autopilot". These "drivers" will never get much road experience because they almost never drive themselves. But the automatic system gives these inexperienced drivers full control when things are too complicated for the automatic system. What can possibly go wrong?

How about people learn how to drive? And practice every time they drive to learn more and get more experience? As far as I see that concept works just fine and it doesn't need to be replaced.

• Like 1

I think fully automated electric cars are inevitable. At the lower and of the market this means you can strip out even more components. There will be no need for driver controls, a centre console, a dashboard or even for all the seats to face forward.

That's not really the issue though. What this will lead to is the loss of many unskilled driving jobs. Connecting fleets of these vehicles to ride sharing apps becomes more of a quantifiable business proposition as you would not have to deal with the issues of hiring drivers, or drivers in general. If you are not onboarding drivers, your head office staff can be massively smaller.

In Thailand, that would mean a lot of low labour, almost unskilled workers back on the job market.

56 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No

Yet, there are those (including one on this topic) that thinks that American tech is far far superior to Chinese tech. 
Personally, I wouldn’t get into a driverless car yet but once full scale adoption of 5G is completed, then it might be safer than getting into a Thai taxi.

45 minutes ago, tgw said:

I'm a programmer.

No chance in hell I would get in a self-driving car in real traffic.

There are programmers and there are programmers.  Some can program a rocket to land on Mars, some can’t even program 90 day reporting.

Which one are you?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

There are programmers and there are programmers.  Some can program a rocket to land on Mars, some can’t even program 90 day reporting.

Which one are you?

I'm this kind of programmer:

cz9vaej8tqd21.jpg.d86d0b8609f7a005775ec39c7f5fbfbf.jpg

* full stack web developer and unix webserver admin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

I think fully automated electric cars are inevitable. At the lower and of the market this means you can strip out even more components. There will be no need for driver controls, a centre console, a dashboard or even for all the seats to face forward.

That's not really the issue though. What this will lead to is the loss of many unskilled driving jobs. Connecting fleets of these vehicles to ride sharing apps becomes more of a quantifiable business proposition as you would not have to deal with the issues of hiring drivers, or drivers in general. If you are not onboarding drivers, your head office staff can be massively smaller.

In Thailand, that would mean a lot of low labour, almost unskilled workers back on the job market.

What happens if a tech problem?

Big insurance and lawsuits

Aircraft pilots have been becoming increasingly concerned by the amount of computerisation they face. They cannot be sure how their computers will react to a potentially dangerous situation and may hesitate to intervene until it is too late. There have also been situations whereby the computer fights the pilots and the pilots have not been trained or cannot figure out how to turn it off.

There may be one fewer dimension to deal with on the road but imagine the situation when a driver perceives a problem or a computer input which he views as hazardous but cannot switch the computer off.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sure it would, with all of the cameras surrounding the vehicle and assisting in it's operation, you might not get anywhere quickly because of the motorbikes.  Again your biased because you hate anything CCP....

Any normal person free to think should hate the CCP as well, responsible as they are for the deaths of tens of millions of their own people. Then the virus and concentration camps for muslims, lockdowns, ghost cities, oppression in Hong Kong and Tibet, really what''s not to hate? Not the Chinese- the CCP.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RayWright said:
As Steve Wozniak said “Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.” 

Can he code A.N. so TikTok video are shown and not just a link to some unknown video of unknown content? 

"Would you get in one of these ?"

Is the video going to be a barrel of slime, a giant used condom, a Russian submarine? 

5 hours ago, proton said:

Any normal person free to think should hate the CCP as well, responsible as they are for the deaths of tens of millions of their own people. Then the virus and concentration camps for muslims, lockdowns, ghost cities, oppression in Hong Kong and Tibet, really what''s not to hate? Not the Chinese- the CCP.

You really should educate yourself more and not just watch Fox or Sky News Oz or Wion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When the statistics prove robotic cars are safer, the technology will be mandated by governments. 

I’m guessing with 20 years to complete the transition from human control to computer. 

Edited by LarrySR

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

sorry ryan but not even the greatest quantum computer on earth could account for the somchai factor. 

i can see it now

error

error

error

Computers doing the driving - don't make me laugh.

People after 100 years still - for the most part - are clueless as to what to do.

They will NEVER be quick enuf, smart enuf, to replace human drivers.

Here is a scenario - you are driving alone in your computer controlled whatever. A small kid darts out on the road. If you swerve you will crash and die. How does the computer react - save the kid or save the owner of the car ?

In 50 years maybe - if there is precedence given by world gov'ts to upgrade all the infrastructure need to allow them to operate on public roads, insurance companies are onboard to decide fault when - not IF - the systems fail, and the public is willing to buy them.

No matter how smart they are, there will be accidents, potentially many, and fatalities. Who will be found at fault ?

https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2017/self-driving-cars-technology-risks-possibilities/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maybole said:

Aircraft pilots have been becoming increasingly concerned by the amount of computerisation they face.

737 Max a very good example.

Boeing did not even tell pilots the system was there, let alone how - and if - it could be disabled.

Why ? So they could sell more aircraft by not having pilots get type certified - the old cert would do.

The whole bunch of them should be in jail for life for the amount of people they killed.

3 minutes ago, seedy said:

737 Max a very good example.

Boeing did not even tell pilots the system was there, let alone how - and if - it could be disabled.

Why ? So they could sell more aircraft by not having pilots get type certified - the old cert would do.

The whole bunch of them should be in jail for life for the amount of people they killed.

1.3 million people die every year in car accidents. 

Computer driving cars will save a big percentage. 

You could say that people opposing technology that saves lives should be in jail for life.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 1