Lest we forget: Post-Covid there are still other serious viruses - like HIV - in Thailand

webfact

35 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

Yes, I might have mentioned this in the article but I disagree that Thailand's response in this regard is poor though it might not be as well publicized as can be. PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) is available for free in every government hospital nationwide. Private clinics including the one mentioned in the article also provide affordable PrEP to foreigners as well as Thais. 

Thanks for reading,

Rooster

It's not publicised in the biggest brothel in the world, Pattaya, girls know nothing about it, which hospital\s in Pattaya can give it to the girls for free? one's you are 100% sure on?

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's not publicised in the biggest brothel in the world, Pattaya, girls know nothing about it, which hospital\s in Pattaya can give it to the girls for free? one's you are 100% sure on?

https://www.pulse-clinic.com/prep-in-pattaya

Pulse Clinic, South Pattaya is one. Or as I said, try govt hospitals in Pattaya.

Rooster

• Like 2

I know people who either have hiv or who know someone who does and unfortunately i believe it’s much more prevalent than publicized/estimated. The people who dont know they have it is much higher, because how can the authorities predict an accurate number. 

Also this hasn’t been mentioned but I know of cases being transmitted including hepatitis C via blood transfusions in Thailand government hospitals. This is either known about and ignored or poor blood testing practices are in place and not followed up on, you can research this through medical articles. (number of hep c cases in Thailand) 

Blood is in short supply for transfusions and online medical research papers reveal that the blood is often taken from prisoners and accident victims without being thoroughly tested before being transfused. 

A lot of hush hush still goes on in Thailand unfortunately. Thats just my opinion. 

• Confused 1

Good article, but we could do without your liberal virtue signalling as in:

"The US effectively barred entry until the enlightened Barack Obama struck down some Bush era nonsense."

• Sad 7

11 hours ago, NightSky said:

Blood is in short supply for transfusions and online medical research papers reveal that the blood is often taken from prisoners and accident victims without being thoroughly tested before being transfused. 

And even sold overseas, as was the case many years ago and to the detriment of UK hemophiliacs.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't understand the medication against HIV is free for Thai.

Not for the foreigner? So the Thai Society don't care the foreigner brings the virus to their own people?

This way you give the opportunity to spread the virus further.

A bit strange thought in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't understand the medication against HIV is free for Thai.

Not for the foreigner? So the Thai Society don't care the foreigner brings the virus to their own people?

This way you give the opportunity to spread the virus further.

A bit strange thought in my opinion.

True, they don't do common sense very well, they just want to make foreigners pay, they haven't taken account that some foreigners can't or don't want to pay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think anyone has forgotten about HIV. It is likely the most feared disease that many people seem to think they are likely to get very easily.

STDs are likely the most blown out of proportion diseases around.

What people do forget about is the much more serious diseases, like cardiovascular diseases, cancers, organ failure, etc etc.

Even diabetes which is probably the most downplayed disease ever.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I don't think anyone has forgotten about HIV. It is likely the most feared disease that many people seem to think they are likely to get very easily.

STDs are likely the most blown out of proportion diseases around.

What people do forget about is the much more serious diseases, like cardiovascular diseases, cancers, organ failure, etc etc.

Even diabetes which is probably the most downplayed disease ever.

STDs is for us who is educated easy to prevent, not so easy for poorer uneducated people, or victims of sexual abuse. 

So heartwarming seeing Nong Jaa in tears of joy and gratitude!

No argument with the article, read the other way though, 99 of 100 people around  me don't have HIV.

On my 4th vax as of last week and I also understand most people recover from Covid too! Still not had Covid, but I did have a really bad cold last month (Southern Winter).

It's time to live life again, because eventually SOMETHING will get us shipped out to a big temple BBQ either way!

I know I have had exposure to HIV, but didnt sero convert. I also lived with a Thai woman 4 years into infection, based on her viral load, she went onto ART. To this day, and for all my sans rubber sins, I remain neg.

My "miracle" story is that about 19 years ago I presented in an Australian STI clinic with a body rash, this rash was for all intents and purposes the sign of HIV at the moment of sero convesion, the staff, who knew me and my history, went into a quiet panic, they tested me, but I was negative, they sent the bloods away, still came back neg, as did further bloods, the rash subsided that same day, I felt fine. Never had it before or since and I just was in Thailand a few days earlier being my usual rampant self. 

When my former live-in lady tested positive, from infection 4 years prior, the Thai Red Cross nurse explained that my negative status could be down to having a gene deletion, that makes just 1% northern europeans immune to the SE Asian HIV strain in particular. 

The gene deletion is thought to be an evolutionary response to the medieval plagues, think, herd immunity, but different. 

Heres the science behind the claims in this post. https://www.thebodypro.com/article/genetic-mutation-behind-hiv-cure

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

No argument with the article, read the other way though, 99 of 100 people around  me don't have HIV.

On my 4th vax as of last week and I also understand most people recover from Covid too! Still not had Covid, but I did have a really bad cold last month (Southern Winter).

It's time to live life again, because eventually SOMETHING will get us shipped out to a big temple BBQ either way!

I know I have had the virus, but didnt sero convert. I also lived with a Thai woman 4 years into infection, based on her viral load, she went onto ART. To this day, and for all my sans rubber sins, I remain neg.

My "miracle" story is that about 19 years ago I presented in an Australian STI clinic with a body rash, this rash was for all intents and purposes the sign of HIV at the moment of sero convesion, the staff, who knew me and my history, went into a quiet panic, they tested me, but I was negative, they sent the bloods away, still came back neg, as did further bloods, the rash subsided that same day, I felt fine. Never had it before or since and I just was in Thailand a few days earlier being my usual rampant self. 

When my former live-in lady tested positive, from infection 4 years prior, the Thai Red Cross nurse explained that my negative status could be down to having a gene deletion, that makes just 1% northern europeans immune to the SE Asian HIV strain in particular. 

The gene deletion is thought to be an evolutionary response to the medieval plagues, think, herd immunity, but different. 

Heres the science behind the claims in this post. https://www.thebodypro.com/article/genetic-mutation-behind-hiv-cure

The HIV vaccine is elusive, sometimes it seems it's a year away then that sails past

44 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

I know I have had exposure to HIV, but didnt sero convert. I also lived with a Thai woman 4 years into infection, based on her viral load, she went onto ART. To this day, and for all my sans rubber sins, I remain neg.

Thats good news for you. Just to make others aware in case they are unsure it takes time (I think it’s about 3-4 weeks correct me if wrong) after exposure to test positive so a next day test wouldn’t necessarily give a true test result. 

Also if others think they have been exposed, taking the meds as soon as possible, available from a sexual health clinic, for a short while can ensure the virus doesn’t establish itself.

9 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Thats good news for you. Just to make others aware in case they are unsure it takes time (I think it’s about 3-4 weeks correct me if wrong) after exposure to test positive so a next day test wouldn’t necessarily give a true test result. 

Also if others think they have been exposed, taking the meds as soon as possible, available from a sexual health clinic, for a short while can ensure the virus doesn’t establish itself.

Last time i checked there was also a 2 week test

• Like 1

Was talking with a doctor at the Red Cross several years ago . He said it isn’t that easy to get HIV. Usually  it involved cuts where blood was intermingled. Anal sex usually causes small breaks in the membrane. Oral sex with someone who has small cuts in the mouth to pass it on (saliva won’t do it).

While free ART would be great in Thailand for foreigners as well as Thais, the cost in the USA is anywhere from 400 to 1,700 dollars a month. Better to stay here.

“ foreigners who can’t or don’t want to pay “. ? Anyone with an ounce of good sense and responsibility would either abstain from sex or pay the 400$ a year treatment. Cant pay, then you should not be in Thailand in the first place , and you should also abstain from sex.   400$ is the equivalent to a dollar a day, or one beer . No one should be allowed to play with other peoples lives. 

• Confused 1

My 18 year old Thai niece died in my arms of untreated HIV and TB just a few months ago.  She and her family were unaware that the medication was free for Thai people.  Her local doctor who treated her (before I got involved), sold her a vitamin tonic for 1,000 baht as treatment....  The family were too ashamed because of the stigma of HIV that they didn't seek hospital treatment.  Even when I got involved, the doctors initially refused to treat her and also refused to provide me with a prescription for medication (without that prescription, the Red Cross in Bangkok would not sell me the required medication).  Finally, when I persisted, the girl was admitted to the local hospital and medication provided.  By then, it was too late... ????

• Sad 2