Bangkok morning turns to night - it's climate change as top Thai scientist warns of more "extreme weather"

webfact

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"While the Medieval Warm Period saw unusually warm temperatures in some regions, globally the planet was cooler than current conditions."

"One of the most often cited arguments of those skeptical of global warming is that the Medieval Warm Period (800-1400 AD) was as warm as or warmer than today."

"Overall, our conclusions are:

a) Globally temperatures are warmer than they have been during the last 2,000 years, and

b) the causes of Medieval warming are not the same as those causing late 20th century warming."

https://skepticalscience.com/medieval-warm-period.htm

I think I read that in "The Third Horsemen" but with the important caveat that really there is no verifiable evidence,  It may be true and I agree with the premise that the world is warming. I just don't have an absolute stance because that would be unintelligent?

12 minutes ago, KhonKaenLive said:

Plenty of examples of adaption. Air conditioning for one. Central heating. So many. Dikes. Come on. There's much more we can do. 

Please read the books Fossil Future or False Alarm. 

It's not time to panic. Leaders who are panicked make poor decisions. 

Drowning by the thousands is a sign of not adapting. So is losing thousands of houses due to fire. Or millions of cattle due to drought. Dikes and air conditioners? Seriously?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, atpeace said:

Fact?  How much is attributed to CO2? I surely don't know but you seem to know so please tell.

Enough for the actual number not to matter. Scientists are unanimous that CO2 and other greenhouse gases released by man is the major factor.

1 minute ago, peterfranks said:

Here is another fact for you. your graph shows that we are at the highest CO2 level, it doesn't prove anything that that is the cause of the climate change

No, high school teachers do that. The prediction that CO2 would lead to higher global temperatures was made in the 19th century.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And then there are those people who are 100% sure that humans are 100% responsible.

It really is a flat earth debate.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And they also know exactly what to do, like eating no meet anymore and no oil and gas and all those things. There must be millions of top experts out there. Or maybe not? Do they also believe something that so called experts tell them is true? It's almost like a religion...

Just to be sure that there is no misunderstanding: I think we have enough evidence that humans are in part responsible for changes in this world. But to which extend are humans responsible? Nobody really knows.

And all these things which are presented as "solutions". Why are you so sure that those solutions work on a global scale? How do you know that there are not many other important factors involved? And maybe many other factors which you didn't even know about?

For anybody who is open minded have a look at this video.

I don't say that everything he says is the truth. But he has some interesting thoughts and he worked together with lots of experts. He is a lot better informed than probably most of us.

Human Activity Is the Cause of Increased Greenhouse Gas Concentrations. Over the last century, burning of fossil fuels like coal and oil has increased the concentration of atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2). This increase happens because the coal or oil burning process combines carbon with oxygen in the air to make CO2.

https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

• Haha 2

The 97% consensus on global warming

What the science says...

"97% of climate experts agree humans are causing global warming."

"Authors of seven climate consensus studies — including Naomi Oreskes, Peter Doran, William Anderegg, Bart Verheggen, Ed Maibach, J. Stuart Carlton, and John Cook — co-authored a paper that should settle this question once and for all.

The two key conclusions from the paper are:

1) Depending on exactly how you measure the expert consensus, it’s somewhere between 90% and 100% that agree humans are responsible for climate change, with most of our studies finding 97% consensus among publishing climate scientists."

(more)

https://skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus.htm

Skeptical Science

PRO-SCIENCE

These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing."

"Overall, we rate Skeptical Science, Pro-Science based presenting credible peer-reviewed scientific evidence that supports the consensus on climate change."

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/skeptical-science/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It really is a flat earth debate.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What the science says...

"Authors of seven climate consensus studies — including Naomi Oreskes, Peter Doran, William Anderegg, Bart Verheggen, Ed Maibach, J. Stuart Carlton, and John Cook — co-authored a paper that should settle this question once and for all.

1) Depending on exactly how you measure the expert consensus, it’s somewhere between 90% and 100% that agree humans are responsible for climate change, with most of our studies finding 97% consensus among publishing climate scientists."

(more)

Skeptical Science

PRO-SCIENCE

These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing."

"Overall, we rate Skeptical Science, Pro-Science based presenting credible peer-reviewed scientific evidence that supports the consensus on climate change."

Yep, and again what is the impact? I also think humans are causing global warming.  Many ways forward when alternatives are allowed. Muting the opposition is not the answer.

2 minutes ago, atpeace said:

yep, read it and you tell me please - what is the impact?

If you read it I'm sure your now well versed together with the posted chart so rather than baiting with what is an obvious answer which I have already posted I suggest you provide any other evidence if you disagree?

Climate Change Indicators: Weather and Climate

"Rising global average temperature is associated with widespread changes in weather patterns. Scientific studies indicate that extreme weather events such as heat waves and large storms are likely to become more frequent or more intense with human-induced climate change."

(more)

https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicators/weather-climate

20 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Yep, and again what is the impact? I also think humans are causing global warming.  Many ways forward when alternatives are allowed. Muting the opposition is not the answer.

If you admit humans are the cause then what is your point and what are your solutions?

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

If you read my previous posts you already know I do but I've not seen any logic and science from you yet? Can you provide at least a little science to back that all up?

You have simply supplied links.  So please tell the impact?  As I have stated, I have little idea of the end game.  You seem to think you know with certainty because it rained a lot in Pakistan this year.  You posted it several times. It hasn't rained in California My home state) much for decades.  I would not be foolish enough to conclude we are in a worldwide drought.  You criticized another poster and based that criticism on rain Pakistan.  Strange I think but maybe I'm missing something.

• Like 2

Just now, atpeace said:

You have simply supplied links.  So please tell the impact?  As I have stated, I have little idea of the end game.  You seem to think you know with certainty because it rained a lot in Pakistan this year.  You posted it several times. It hasn't rained in California My home state) much for decades.  I would not be foolish enough to conclude we are in a worldwide drought.  You criticized another poster and based that criticism on rain Pakistan.  Strange I think but maybe I'm missing something.

What are you talking about? I also have no idea of the end game, I'm not a climatologist, I am influenced by the evidence and by the science not by anecdotal rantings on a forum. The science is clear, the evidence is clear and that's good enough for me.. What do you fail to understand about that?

The impact is well recorded, extreme weather events and food insecurity

10 minutes ago, atpeace said:

So please tell the impact? 

"Scientific studies indicate that extreme weather events such as heat waves and large storms are likely to become more frequent or more intense with human-induced climate change."

"More frequent and intense extreme heat events can increase illnesses and deaths, especially among vulnerable populations, and damage some crops. While increased precipitation can replenish water supplies and support agriculture, intense storms can damage property, cause loss of life and population displacement, and temporarily disrupt essential services such as transportation, telecommunications, energy, and water supplies."

(more)

https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicators/weather-climate

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Fact check: What role does climate change play in extreme weather events?

Attribution scientists are modeling floods, droughts and wildfires in real time to determine how big a part global heating plays in each event

"That heating the planet by burning fossil fuels is broadly making extreme weather more frequent and intense is well established."

"Without global heating, recent record temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) in the United Kingdom would have been virtually impossible, as would the North American heat wave of 2021, according to WWA analyses. And climate change made deadly early heat waves in India and Pakistan this year 30 times more likely."

(more)

https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-what-role-does-climate-change-play-in-extreme-weather-events/a-62961131

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1

The Effects of Climate Change

The effects of human-caused global warming are happening now, are irreversible on the timescale of people alive today, and will worsen in the decades to come.

"Takeaways
  • We already see effects scientists predicted, such as the loss of sea ice, melting glaciers and ice sheets, sea level rise, and more intense heat waves.
  • Scientists predict global temperature increases from human-made greenhouse gases will continue. Severe weather damage will also increase and intensify."

"Taken as a whole, the range of published evidence indicates that the net damage costs of climate change are likely to be significant and to increase over time."

- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change"

https://climate.nasa.gov/effects/

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What the science says...

(more)

Skeptical Science

PRO-SCIENCE

Strangely we don't  ever get to hear what the other 3% of experts have to say !   But that is not part of the narrative is it.  The human race will no doubt one day become extinct, Possibly by a nuclear armageddon , possibly as the result of a virus, possibly due to an asteroid strike or some other natural phenomenon !     The extinction of the human race will be a somewhat insignificant  event in the great scheme of things just like the extinction of the dinosaurs.  It will not be prevented by  electric vehicles, "bags for life"   "eco lightbulbs" or hurling insults

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comments removed
  • Like 1

It’s not always about us and how fortunate we are,

How Climate Change Fuels Global Hunger

It’s a troubling prospect, one that is especially catastrophic for already vulnerable populations around the world. Climate change is a leading cause of hunger, second only to conflict, according to the World Food Program, and the deepening climate crisis threatens to plunge millions more people into food insecurity. 

With climate change, extreme weather events like drought have become more frequent and intense. The vast majority of people facing hunger—roughly 80 percent—reside in regions that are susceptible to these climate extremes, which can then impact food production, availability, and accessibility. 

If nothing is done, aid agencies warn, these populations could soon face widespread famine. Across Somalia, Kenya, and Ethiopia, more than 23 million people are currently confronting acute hunger; 

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/05/19/climate-change-food-insecurity-hunger-drought/

20 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Strangely we don't  ever get to hear what the other 3% of experts have to say !   But that is not part of the narrative is it.  The human race will no doubt one day become extinct, Possibly by a nuclear armageddon , possibly as the result of a virus, possibly due to an asteroid strike or some other natural phenomenon !     The extinction of the human race will be a somewhat insignificant  event in the great scheme of things just like the extinction of the dinosaurs.  It will not be prevented by  electric vehicles, "bags for life"   "eco lightbulbs" or hurling insults like "denier" at those who disagree with a narrative  that  has been over politicised

I really could not care less anymore  the rest of you can live your miserable lives in fear if you wish I personally intend to enjoy what little time I have left.

Because 97% think their science is junk and doesn't pass peer review. If it did the 97% would agree with them.

42 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Without global heating, recent record temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) in the United Kingdom would have been virtually impossible,

And on that point:

40°C heatwave may have killed 1000 people in England and Wales

First estimate of extreme heat's impact suggests that more than half of the deaths are expected to have been in people aged 85 and older

"About a thousand extra people are estimated to have died during the recent three-day UK heatwave, in the first snap analysis of the human toll of record-breaking temperatures.

At least 10 people drowned during the heat, which passed the milestone of 40°C in some areas, but a provisional number has now been put on the wider number of deaths linked to the extreme weather.

Antonio Gasparrini at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine estimates that 948 people died in England and Wales because of the sweltering conditions between 17 and 19 July."

(more)

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2331349-40c-heatwave-may-have-killed-1000-people-in-england-and-wales/

New Scientist

PRO-SCIENCE

Overall, we rate New Scientist Pro-Science and Very High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact check record.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-scientist/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1