British man dead, second seriously injured after motorbike collision with a garbage truck

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Who said it would be their first drink? who knows when they purchased the beers, who knows what they had been doing earlier in the evening. - My point was why mention the beers located under the seat, were they tested for alcohol consumption?

In any serious accident anywhere the first thing the cops do is look for signs of alcohol or drug consumption. Especially in the case of a fatality. Alcohol in the vehicle is very frequently an indicator of alcohol use beforehand.

Edited by ozimoron

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"The garbage truck driver, Mr. Attaphon Wichean, 42, was waiting at the scene and told the Phuket Express, “I was turning in to a side road before I heard the crash. I’m not sure what exactly happened.”

Maybe what happened is you failed to indicate you were turning ,and this is why the

motorbike crashed into you.

regards worgeordie

"Maybe what happened is you failed to indicate you were turning ,and this is why the

motorbike crashed into you."

That is probably what did happen, but I would also say that the motorbike was going far too fast especially as the garbage truck would be traveling very slow as it was making a turn.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Anyway, I think there was no roundabout so we are just getting off topic.

Correct, I just thought it strange that in a country that drives "on the left" would have a website regarding traffic rules showing traffic obviously driving "on the right"! Ah - I forgot - TIT!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It is simply incumbent upon us, as intelligent, thinking beings, to avoid stationary vehicles. It is part of natural selection. The way many drive on Samui, it is surprising there are not more deaths, though it has the highest rate of traffic deaths per capita in all of Thailand. And we all know where the nation stands. 

It might help if you read the article before commenting. It does not state that the vehicle was stationary. In fact the garbage truck driver is quoted in the article as saying: “I was turning in to a side road before I heard the crash. I’m not sure what exactly happened.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Motorbike crashes into back of truck @ 1 am

... nuff said

Where in the article does it say that the motorbike crashed into the back of the truck ? The driver of the truck said he was turning into a side road, so the point of impact with the truck is, as yet, undefined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Might be some clues here ...

"CCTV however did capture the incident and was shared on social media."

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/09/01/one-british-man-dead-second-seriously-injured-after-motorbike-collision-with-a-garbage-truck-on-samui-island/

If there were beers under the seat it sounds like a scooter, not something more sporty. 

There is plenty of storage space under the seat of my bike, and it is certainly

not a "scooter".

2 hours ago, robblok said:

They could be drunk and should be checked for it but if you hit something from behind in general your always to blame. Not sure why the garbage truck driver would be guilty ?

He could, I say could, maybe have been turning without using an indicator, as the majority of Thai drivers and motorbike riders are very guilty of.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thunglom said:

This amateur apportioning of blame needs to stop. 

It has nothing to do with road safety and is counter-productive. These comments are made by people who have no details of what happened but just love to make assumptions.

The issues here are not to blame people but to find out what happened and how it can be prevented from happening again.

There are a lot more factors that need to be taken into account than simplistically blaming a drunk for everything.

What about emergency services? were they quick and well equipped? did they receive car on the spot?

What was the road surface like? What about street lighting and vehicle lighting, what were the road and weather conditions,

Was the scene of the accident analysed by a trained crash crew? - where is the crash report.

In all likelihood we will never know, we'll just get a quick off-the-cuff hypothesis from the local cop who is trying to justify his job.

Until this attitude amongst the authorities, the public and expats changes there will be no improvement in road safety in Thailand.

Road surface, street lighting, vehicle lighting, road and weather conditions? Have a look at the picture and you would know.

Get a grip on it you guys!

There's CCTV footage of the incident. It will tell the story.

But, for the uninitiated, Samui is renowned for motorbike accidents.

Young Thais, Burmese and tourists speed like crazy, day and night, regardless of the traffic and road conditions. Many don't wear helmets, shoes or even a shirt! It seems like they think they are a law into themselves, flying along as if there is no tomorrow....and for one of these guys there is no tomorrow! It's not the first garbage truck that's been slammed into on Samui, and I predict it won't be the last.????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

He could, I say could, maybe have been turning without using an indicator, as the majority of Thai drivers and motorbike riders are very guilty of.

Even if he didn't indicate it doesn't mean he caused the accident. It would be a separate charge.

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Here is another one for the conspiracy theorists.

Motorbike driving along and sees the garbage truck slowing down (brake lights) and indicating left, so the bike goes to overtake the truck.

At the last minute the truck swings to the right onto the wrong side of the road to make turning into the narrow lane more easy.

Happens all of the time in front of me when I am on my bike. Most roads on Samui are quite narrow once you are off the main ring road.

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Garbage trucks generally run on the exact same route day after day, they don't change their mind at the last minute.

If you read my post again, you will see that I did not write 'change their mind'.

My next sentence reads that it happens all of the time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh dear ... poor guy, what a terrible way to go ... killed by a garbage truck.

I wonder were they very drunk or speeding ...  garbage trucks usually have a flashing light or they are very well lit up. 

RIP ..

I usually can smell them a mile away..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Where in the article does it say that the motorbike crashed into the back of the truck ? The driver of the truck said he was turning into a side road, so the point of impact with the truck is, as yet, undefined.

Looking at the photo on the one news-blip, rescue folks are tending to the fallen, positioned, well behind the truck.

No matter, the MB, was the striking vehicle from the rear or even if it was the side ... passing on small soi is illegal.

MB riders were in the wrong ... period

Just another Thai bashing thread, with people making excuses for their country fold's stupidity.  

R I P for one, live in hell for the other, causing your friend's death.

Just another day / oops on Samui with tourist.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, vangrop said:

The rescue workers arrived at the scene to find a damaged motorbike near a garbage truck owned by the Koh Samui Municipality. Under the motorbike seat rescue staff stated they found cans and bottles of beer.

Here we go again. The 2 Farangs were obviously drunken so they are the culprits, Van driver innocent, Case closed no further investigation needed.

The circumstances seem to point to the "obvious" 1 am, 2 brits, ran into the back of the truck, impact enough to kill one, work it out for yourself.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kennw said:

The circumstances seem to point to the "obvious" 1 am, 2 brits, ran into the back of the truck, impact enough to kill one, work it out for yourself.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In any serious accident anywhere the first thing the cops do is look for signs of alcohol or drug consumption. Especially in the case of a fatality. Alcohol in the vehicle is very frequently an indicator of alcohol use beforehand.

Wrong, it is a sign that alcohol was purchased 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

If there’s no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right. (500B)

The drivers at the roundabout always have priority.

https://traffic-rules.com/en/thailand/traffic-rules/priority-rules

Thats the same thing...  

At the traffic ‘circle’ the vehicles on the right are the vehicles on the roundabout (traffic circle) which are given way to....

16 minutes ago, Dont confuse me said:

Planting some old beer cans from the garbage truck then any blame can then be attributed to the motor cycle rider!

After all it is Thailand! 

I'm with you on that theory, Columbo.

If the beer cans / bottles were empty that is very suspicious, becaise why would the divers store their empty cans under the seat to take them with them?  People would throw them away or leave them at the place where they were drank. 

If they were unopened that means the guys did not drink the alcohol!!!