Airbus A380 lands at Thailand’s Don Mueang Airport for the first time ever

webfact

image.jpeg

Photo via AOTGA

An Airbus A380 aircraft landed on the runway at Bangkok’s Don Mueang Airport for the first time ever yesterday. The Emirates flight was redirected to Bangkok’s smaller airport due to heavy rainfall disrupting the runway at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

At 9.40pm, flight EK363 from Guangzhou in China descended at Don Mueang International Airport (DMK) after the runway became impassible at Suvarnabhumi International Airport (BKK), Thailand’s biggest and busiest airport. It is the first time an Airbus A380 has ever landed at DMK.

The plane circled Bangkok’s skies for 50 minutes waiting for weather conditions to improve, but they didn’t. Several flights were unable to land or take off at Suvarnabhumi for several hours last night due to heavy and continuous rainfall.

Full story: https://thetattlers.com/airbus-a380-lands-at-thailands-don-mueang-airport-for-the-first-time-ever/

image.png

-- © Copyright The Tattlers 2022-09-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

first time an Airbus A380 has ever landed at DMK

Did they have to disembark using a mobile stairs? 

I'd say a slow process getting everyone off the plane. 

Emirates....... Love business class lounge, down the back of the plane, upstairs, nice sofa opposite to relax. 

Never got to the first class lounge, they wouldn't let me in. ????

IMG_20220909_125026.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Light on fuel, no passengers, no problem, up & over to Suvarnabhumi.

Don Muang was not used for bombers, they went to Utapau

46 minutes ago, Hummin said:

We will know soon, found it strange if it was not, since they already landed there, or what do you think?

DMK is actually a pretty long runway, 12000ft.

A380's require about 10000ft.

On the other topic, unloading must have been a nightmare. Only one set of airstairs could be used, so it must have resembled unloading a cruise ship

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Emirates....... Love business class lounge, down the back of the plane, upstairs, nice sofa opposite to relax. 

IMG_20220909_125026.jpg

Its very nice ????

• Like 1

I don't think they will allow the passengers to disembark as it is not scheduled to land there. They will have to wait on the plane until Suvarnabhum is open again.

Happened to me once but the other way round. My flight was scheduled to land at DM but due to the weather we diverted to Suvarnabhum. We had to wait on the plane over an hour until the weather cleared and then flew to to DM 

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

IMG_20220909_125026.jpg

Not suitably dressed for 1st Class......:cheesy:

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Not suitably dressed for 1st Class......:cheesy:

Hey, don't laugh, us rig pigs are always judged. 

I'm one who when traveling (I fly once a month) I dress comfortably. Always sport shoes and polo shirt, loose long pants. Most times I looked like a hobo but who cares I'm flying business class. 

Not one to dress fancy, probably comes with being an Aussie........ at home, around the house, thongs, shorts, singlet. I don't understand, my neighbor, he's a Pom, omg, everyday he wears long pants (never seen him in shorts) and a collared shirt around the house, it messes with my mind, who does that ????

I'm in heaven on the rig, mornings I wake up, jump into my freshly washed coveralls, then off to the morning meeting. Every few days I shave, glad I never worked in an office. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, natway09 said:

Light on fuel, no passengers, no problem, up & over to Suvarnabhumi.

Don Muang was not used for bombers, they went to Utapau

U-Tapao didn't take larger aircraft until the runway extension was completed in June 1966. prior to that KC-135's, C-130B's and other large aircraft used Don Muang. The First B-52's were based at U-Tapao in April 1967.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, internationalism said:

about bad drainage from the runway

I remember seeing some photos from the floods a few years back, photos of planes submerged at Don Muang Airport. 

Survarnabhumi was built on swampland, I reckon the rain was too heavy for it to drain. 

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

How is that BKK is shut down for hours, but DMK only some 20km away, is fully opened?

The tropical monsoon rains and storms can be very localised. Even just a few KMs apart one place can be completely dry and the other place totally flooded.

Edited by soi3eddie

38 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Planes need further to gain speed and take off

I'm aware of the physical limits of airplanes. My point is if they knew it was not possible to make a take off from Don Muang, they would not have landed there, and made another airport. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'm one who when traveling (I fly once a month) I dress comfortably. Always sport shoes and polo shirt, loose long pants. Most times I looked like a hobo but who cares I'm flying business class. 

Not one to dress fancy, probably comes with being an Aussie........ at home, around the house, thongs, shorts, singlet. I don't understand, my neighbor, he's a Pom, omg, everyday he wears long pants (never seen him in shorts) and a collared shirt around the house, it messes with my mind, who does that ????

I'm in heaven on the rig, mornings I wake up, jump into my freshly washed coveralls, then off to the morning meeting. Every few days I shave, glad I never worked in an office. 

That is dressed up for an Aussie the normal uniform is wife-beater and thongs,or vest and flip-flops if you actually speak the Queen’s/King’s English?

16 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Humans never surprise me

There is always calculated in their flight schedule how much fuel they need to make an emergency airport even after circling around their main destination. KL would most likely be one of the options. 

11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

IMG_20220909_125026.jpg

i always think it becomes pathetic when one needs to make a selfie of it, as if they climbed the mount everest.

14 minutes ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

That is dressed up for an Aussie the normal uniform is wife-beater and thongs,or vest and flip-flops if you actually speak the Queen’s/King’s English?

Singlet you mean. Most Aussies wear shirts with collars and proper shoes.

The Brits are far worse dressed in Chang singlets and whining.

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

it's not about rain, because air planes can land and take off in heavy rain, and night time, but most probably about bad drainage from the runway.

How is that BKK is shut down for hours, but DMK only some 20km away, is fully opened? 

Oh, we have an expert!  Sorry, you are wrong.  There is nothing wrong with the drainage at Suvarnabhumi and we have never seen problems with it.  I live in eastern Bangkok and that storm was intense with wind and rain - absolutely not safe to land, it was a huge storm and reports said the heaviest rainfall in 20 years (more than most European cities have in months fell in a few hours)  Probably a very good chance of wind shear too.

Bangkok has extremely localised storms so DMK 30+ kms away could easily have been dry.  

Extreme weather happens.  Sorry Sherlock.

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

In my experience very few people "dress" for business class. I'm an offshore ozi too sometimes a couple people bung it on but generally why wouldn't you dress for comfort? I used to love Qantas dressing like a bum and throwing the free pyjamas on as soon as I boarded wearing those the whole trip. Glorious.

Edited by starky

5 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

i always think it becomes pathetic when one needs to make a selfie of it, as if they climbed the mount everest.

Hey, nice hostile, antagonizing comment. 

Cheer up, it must be awful being a miserable person. 

You couldn't help yourself, had to add a pathetic moan, oh well lots of you whingers and whiners here. 

The photo was taken with a friend, a lady I knew. 

Have you got any friends Mr Miserable? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The plane circled Bangkok’s skies for 50 minutes waiting for weather conditions to improve, but they didn’t. Several flights were unable to land or take off at Suvarnabhumi for several hours last night due to heavy and continuous rainfall.

Waiting for the flood news to trickle in..