Foreigner praised for cutting the grass... locals ask why can't Thais do that?

RandolphGB

image.thumb.jpeg.013ea59cded7d08705b08876d4df5d9f.jpeg

A foreigner has been praised for cutting a public patch of grass... with locals asking why can't Thais do that?

The volunteers used a trimmer to improve the appearance at the southern gate of Chumphon.

Comments on the Facebook post from locals praised the man, who was clearly struggling in the hot sun and not in the best of shape physically. There was a second foreign volunteer with him. 

There were lots of comments on the post, with locals wondering why no Thais had taken it upon themselves to cut the grass and keep things looking tidy. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chumphonnews/permalink/5179618455475945/?sfnsn=mo&ref=share

Edited by RandolphGB
  • Haha 2

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

So you told immigration you were going to ‘a’ country (*you don’t say which) to do some building / renovation work, you had equipment with you... they prevented you from entering because you said you were there do work....

.. nothing to do with Thailand then... 

That is not correct.

I told them I had brought some dutiable goods and wished to pay the duty on them.  They told me to go into the customs department with the receipts.  They saw that the receipts were for house wiring, electrical receptacles, breakers, etc.  They knew I was visiting my grandparents--same family name.  But they began to press me--what is this for?  (their house) . . . are YOU going to help them?  What was I to say?  Of course, they were supposed to give that job to a local.

If I had known where to purchase the goods in that country and had not tried to bring them in, perhaps things would have been different.  No one would have been the wiser.  Now, I have a red flag on my permanent record, and any/every time I enter I am interrogated at the border.  Literally.  Grilled.  After which I usually am allowed in.  After all, I am visiting family.

10 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

That is not correct.

I told them I had brought some dutiable goods and wished to pay the duty on them.  They told me to go into the customs department with the receipts.  They saw that the receipts were for house wiring, electrical receptacles, breakers, etc.  They knew I was visiting my grandparents--same family name.  But they began to press me--what is this for?  (their house) . . . are YOU going to help them?  What was I to say?  Of course, they were supposed to give that job to a local.

If I had known where to purchase the goods in that country and had not tried to bring them in, perhaps things would have been different.  No one would have been the wiser.  Now, I have a red flag on my permanent record, and any/every time I enter I am interrogated at the border.  Literally.  Grilled.  After which I usually am allowed in.  After all, I am visiting family.

Why keep the country secret ???

Sounds like extremely unfair treatment, and as you mention Thailand really is strict about people working here (i.e. helping out at their girlfriends bar etc)... 

... but really, much of the paranoia is just the myth of barstool experts.....   this guy is at no risk... he’s just cutting grass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Doubt the Pu Yai baan would be happy with the publicity, loss of face and all that.

They get paid x amount of baht every year to keep their bit of Thailand clean and tidy . 

But like ours who has just built himself a rather nice large house , bar and restaurant , in his first year of tenure .....Well , sometimes the money doesn't go where it is supposed to. 

There must have been some money spare this year , for the first time in 5 years we have had all the vegetation cleared out of the small river . 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Probably because its the responsibiity of the Moo Baan (assumng its not owned).

Local Thais would know that.

Doubt the Pu Yai baan would be happy with the publicity, loss of face and all that.

Ah, always someone else’s responsibility.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, itsari said:

In my opinion Thais have a problem to mind there own business . That has been my experience 

Biggest gossip mongerers I have come across after having lived in the UK , Australia and Norway before living in Thailand .

Gossiping isnt "doing"  thats what they wont do, wont interfere  or get involved its "not my business" in my experience.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, itsari said:

The man is wanting to help the local community that he lives in . How is that difficult to understand ?

I think you are the weird one .

a) He isn't a member of this community, never will be.

b) When the Moo Baan organises collective work, once or twice a year, I remind my wife to give them a 500 note to contribute to the after hours drink. Which makes me a "good Farang", ultimate ambition.

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Gossiping isnt "doing"  thats what they wont do, wont interfere  or get involved its "not my business" in my experience.

Gossip is done with out your presence yet doing much harm to you . Therefore if a person who involves in gossip they are getting involved .