Foreigner praised for cutting the grass... locals ask why can't Thais do that?

RandolphGB

19 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

That is not correct.

I told them I had brought some dutiable goods and wished to pay the duty on them.  They told me to go into the customs department with the receipts.  They saw that the receipts were for house wiring, electrical receptacles, breakers, etc.  They knew I was visiting my grandparents--same family name.  But they began to press me--what is this for?  (their house) . . . are YOU going to help them?  What was I to say?  Of course, they were supposed to give that job to a local.

If I had known where to purchase the goods in that country and had not tried to bring them in, perhaps things would have been different.  No one would have been the wiser.  Now, I have a red flag on my permanent record, and any/every time I enter I am interrogated at the border.  Literally.  Grilled.  After which I usually am allowed in.  After all, I am visiting family.

which country are you talking about......would be nice to know !!!!????

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

But  I can't see why he is doing this.. Rather weird, isn't?

What is weird about wanting to keep the place tidy, even though it isn't yours?

3 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

a) He isn't a member of this community, never will be.

b) When the Moo Baan organises collective work, once or twice a year, I remind my wife to give them a 500 note to contribute to the after hours drink. Which makes me a "good Farang", ultimate ambition.

It doesn't matter to him if he isn't a member of the community and he never will be.

If my wife or I can find somebody to cut the grass and scrub for me I would give up tomorrow.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

But  I can't see why he is doing this.. Rather weird, isn't?

Why weird? He may be retired and probably likes to do something during the day that not only benefits him but also the neighborhood. I would love to do the same myself, but all these stories about immigration who on a bad "hairday", even for innocent simple work like mowing the lawn can get you into trouble. I live in an apartment where they keep order inside and out, but the grass cutting stops at the last centimeter of the land they own and there it is actually a sidewalk that has not been visible since the building was new. As it is now, pedestrians are directed to go out onto the road and we all know how dangerous it can be here, or through half a meter of high grass.

Felt

39 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I do it all the time alongside the road and I also cut the grass between the road and the power pole out the front of both our house and the neighbours house, both parts belong to the government.

The Pu Yai Ban has no objection.

At 78 years old and it is hard work, why do I do it?

Because I live here and I like it to be tidy.

Good on ya Bill you have answer a "why".

We live in a tourist village so things get done in and around the historical park. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

many thais are lazy SOB's .... 

It actually is quite hard work. Easy if it is flat and small but if there are humps and dips, slopes and holes, bits of dead tree, flooded trenches and 2 or 3 rai to cut, it IS hard graft. 

If like me you have 2 STS kneecaps and a buggered up back it is hard before you start

Nowadays at 78 I can manage about an hour in the early morning with a few minutes break or 2. When I first retired in 2009 I could manage about 3 hours a day. Now I am down to a hour a day on a good day.

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It actually is quite hard work. Easy if it is flat and small but if there are humps and dips, slopes and holes, bits of dead tree, flooded trenches and 2 or 3 rai to cut, it IS hard graft. 

If like me you have 2 STS kneecaps and a buggered up back it is hard before you start

Nowadays at 78 I can manage about an hour in the early morning with a few minutes break or 2. When I first retired in 2009 I could manage about 3 hours a day. Now I am down to a hour a day on a good day.

agree .....   years ago when I was 18 ....  we were fencing from daylight till dark, weeks on end,  carrying posts up hills on my shoulder, lugging wire, drilling holes in posts all day ....  splitting posts with gunpowder shots,  it was hard work and I was fit,  I doubt you would get a Thai to do that. 

just saying ....   and as you mentioned,  when you get older of course you slow down ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

agree .....   years ago when I was 18 ....  we were fencing from daylight till dark, weeks on end,  carrying posts up hills on my shoulder, lugging wire, drilling holes in posts all day ....  splitting posts with gunpowder shots,  it was hard work and I was fit,  I doubt you would get a Thai to do that. 

More rubbish.  Plenty of Thais do hard physical manual labour.

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No it isnt, minding your own business is though, thats the Thai way..???? 

Kind of a big part of why Thailand is the way it is with the government it deserves

Sadly Thai's are taught from young not to question ( some may interpret as minding their own business)

But sadly it is much more. It is why they never question a doctor,teacher,police,government official etc etc

But it goes deeper & more linked to a class system hi-so/lo-so obedience

As you said in your first post most would be quiet basically so the Puu Yai Baan is not losing the face he obviously deserves to lose for not using funds probably sent for these things

Fortunately there is a new younger generation of Thai's coming up

that will likely change this & more or die trying

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 2:19 PM, RandolphGB said:

the man, who was clearly struggling in the hot sun and not in the best of shape physically.

Not much sympathy for somebody that works out in the hot sun and fails to protect their own head with a hat. Tropical sun on a bare head is enough to make anyone struggle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, steven100 said:

just saying ....   and as you mentioned,  when you get older of course you slow down ...

when you get older of course you slow down.......Ain't THAT The Truth ??

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 4:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Possible reason - so he can see up the road a little better.

These junctions are a nightmare for edging out and you’re looking right into oncoming traffic and a motorcycle is riding the wrong way down the shoulder.... 

So.. he could be doing it simply for better visibility / safety at the junction to his area. 

Or, he just wants to give back. 

From the op photo, I do not think the grass is long enough to restrict the vision of drivers.

On 9/26/2022 at 12:31 PM, KannikaP said:

Like the OP, I got praised for cutting some grass, and the Mrs says our lawn looks lovely.

I shall do it again in a few days for more praise!

I get it.  My lawn looks good after a mow , it even gets striped/stripes.  Rain at night sun during the day and it needs cutting about every 6 days. I don't think my wife cares one way or t'other , she would rather it was a veg. patch.

• Haha 2

On 9/25/2022 at 2:01 PM, billd766 said:

I do it all the time alongside the road and I also cut the grass between the road and the power pole out the front of both our house and the neighbours house, both parts belong to the government.

The Pu Yai Ban has no objection.

At 78 years old and it is hard work, why do I do it?

Because I live here and I like it to be tidy.

got work permit ????????

• Haha 2