At least 20 people killed in mass shooting in Thailand: Police

webfact

UPDATE:

Mass murder in Nong Bua Lamphu killed more than 30, many were children

By Erich Parpart

image.jpeg

Mass murder in Thailand’s Nong Bua Lamphu province killed more than 30 people, many were children, the Thai police confirmed.

The killer was a former Police Sergeant named Panya Khamlarb, aged 34, who was reportedly fired from the police force for being in possession of one yaba pill (methamphetamine pill) and causing a public nuisance while intoxicated in November 2012.

The motive is still unknown as the murderer already committed suicide after escaping from the initial murdering site at the Uthai-Sawan Child Development Center in Na Klang district.

The latest reports said 36 people were killed and 12 injured. One of the fatalities was the shooter.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/44982/a-mass-shooting-in-nong-bua-lam-phu-killed-more-than-30-many-were-children/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-10-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

UPDATE:

24 Out Of 36 Killed In Shooting Spree Were Children
TNR Staff 

image.jpeg

An ambulance taking the injured to the hospital with an image of Pol. Lt. Col. Panya Khamrab inset. Photo: Matichon

THE MASSACRE at a child care centre at Na Klang district, Nong Bua Lamphu province, this afternoon (Oct. 6) left 36 people dead of whom 24 were small children and 12 others injured, Matichon newspaper said at 4 p.m.

Only one child survived the shooting by Pol. Lt. Col. Panya Khamrab, a non-official policeman who had been dismissed from service.

Grief-stricken relatives of those who died gathered at the centre wailing as the authorities rushed to examine the dead bodies.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/10/06/24-out-of-36-killed-in-shooting-spree-were-children/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-10-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

17 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

What a horrible thing for this ex RTP to do.  I guess in this country, the RTP do not get disarmed when they get fired.

I wonder if that will change in the future? If this guy was also a drug dealer, maybe he should have already been in

jail. Not a good day in Thailand. RIP to all the poor innocent people who died, especially all those small children.

I was always lead to believe that RT police bought their own guns.

• Like 2

I'm a little surprised this story isn't bigger worldwide.   Yes, I know, there was a mass stabbings in Vegas (USA) and 20 killed in Mexico (mass shooting) and it seems like we are getting more used to all this senseless violence.

My Thai "friends" (acquaintances) are pretty quiet.  They are certainly not the American type screaming for answers, blaming, wanting solutions immediately....but after talking with them I'm sure they are worried about the future.  I can tell.  They have kids.  It's too bad there isn't a "safe country" you can go to.   The internet will tell you one place is super safe, but it's not.  Gotta play the odds.

I have to remind myself that many people are on the edge, still, after COVID.  I'm not on the edge, but I need to remember others might be.   Next time someone walks in front of me at Big C and stops for no reason for the 100th time.......well, I'll do my best to smile and go about my day.   Drugs are now so cheap here it might be their escape while the falang drinks beer to forget.  Well, Yaba and beer are not the same.  Yaba is a big problem in my town, but I'll be traveling again in a few months.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dj230 said:

Thanks for the insights, I will write a letter to my police station and let them know to carry pencils instead of firearms

Right because calling everything a myth will solve everything.

Plenty of news reports, stories, videos of people defending themselves with firearms against criminals. Common sense should be enough to understand that having a firearm to defend yourself and others is going to result in a higher probability of survival versus not having one in a massacre like this.

The only ones who will be negatively impacted are the victims. I think if you had a friend or family member at that school, you would think differently. 

Now all you have to do is quote those similar institutions where there were arms present and a mass shooting was prevented…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sumongkhwai said:

Wife tells me that the guy who ran/owned the pre-school was a big boss in the area. The shooter had asked him for help with his job and court. Big boss said he couldn't help him because of the yaba issue so he wanted to get revenge against the big boss. Freakin coward.

Random drug-testing, is a standard procedure for critical/sensitive jobs. It seems the problem lies with follow-up procedures by government. Complacency is common to humans, but it is good to know some of the 'facts' about the motive. In reality, these crimes are rare and are sensationalizied by media. Illegal drug overdose, illegal drug sellers, kill far more children, teens and adults every year.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

20 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Indeed. I'm in a neighboring province. It's night and day from when I was in BKK. Neighbors, coworkers, even the govt officials I've dealt with. Always helpful, understanding, no arrogant or pretentious attitudes. Such people are the least deserving of such a thing.

I am also in a neighboring province, sad and shocked. Condolences to everyone connected 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My latest figure is 36...no words ????????????

The attack on Thursday ranks as the worst mass shooting by a sole perpetrator in Thailand’s history and exceeds the death tolls of the deadliest school shootings in the United States. Twenty-six people, including 20 children, were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, and 19 children and two adults were killed in Uvalde, Texas, in May.

Gunman Kills Dozens, Including Children, in Rampage at Thai Child Care Center https://nyti.ms/3V6KGT5

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

48 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Very sad tragedy.. youn kids murdered for nothing by a drugsaddicted policeman. Rip to all the victims.

The news in my country wrote that Thailand is a country which has the most weapons and not counted the illegal owned. Sad that people with mental problems can't get help anywhere. It is so easy to get drugs everywhere, a proof of a failing policeforce. Nevertheless  a very sad day for the country

RIP...however; where is it written he was drug addicted, or even under the influence? He is not a serving officer; he was dismissed more than a year ago. His bloods will be analysed and the results available in 4-6 weeks.

• Thanks 1