Big C now requiring passport proof of identity for credit card use from farang shoppers?

elena edwards

I’ve never been asked for id. I just slip my card in and go. If someone ever asks me in the future, then I’ll just show them my drivers license. And if someone gets fussy about it, we’ll then I’ll get fussy as well, as in “mai mai!” wave the card and split 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, userabcd said:

I'm sure Big C are just being cautious, I think no drama required to show ones passport.

You carry your passport around with you everywhere you go ?

Given it takes takes 12-16 weeks to replace a passport now (British Passport), carrying one around and risking loss is definitely not worth considering - my Passport only leaves the safe when I travel or other essential times. 

That said: It is very curious why anyone in a supermarket would want to see any form of ID... just weird - I use the Credit Card pretty for pretty much ever transaction I make in Thailand... never asked for ID...  As others have pointed out - is this a ‘BigC credit card’ ??? I wonder why they’d ask when no one else does...

Or is this just an isolated incident and a complete misunderstanding ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Given it takes takes 12-16 weeks to replace a passport now (British Passport), carrying one around and risking loss is definitely not worth considering - my Passport only leaves the safe when I travel or other essential times. 

That said: It is very curious why anyone in a supermarket would want to see any form of ID... just weird - I use the Credit Card pretty for pretty much ever transaction I make in Thailand... never asked for ID...  As others have pointed out - is this a ‘BigC credit card’ ??? I wonder why they’d ask when no one else does...

Or is this just an isolated incident and a complete misunderstanding ?

You can probably use a copy on your phone. I've used mine at plenty of places -- the SCB, Tops, Big C, True. Nobody seems to care.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I do, and have done so for the past 20 years, whilst living in Thailand, Laos and Myanmar.  I have never lost it, forgot it or been robbed of it ????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, simon43 said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I do, and have done so for the past 20 years, whilst living in Thailand, Laos and Myanmar.  I have never lost it, forgot it or been robbed of it ????

I never needed my seatbelt either !!....   I think you get my point there.

Just because something has never happened does not mean we need not be careful or take precautions. 

The impact a lost passport has for some of us is significant.

I think the renewal time for a UK passport is now 14-16 weeks or so.. if I were to lose my passport it would mean I couldn’t travel until I got a new one, which means I can’t travel for work, which means I don’t get paid... Cheapest option would be to get an emergency passport, fly to the UK, get an emergency appointment for a new passport (if possible), currently booking for fast track appointments are full.

For the convenience of sometimes needing to show ID, carrying a passport and the risk, no matter how slim of loss, is definitely not worth it for me (and people like me) - thats one of the reasons I have the Pink ID to carry around. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Cold hard cash has its value... taxi’s, wet markets etc...  they prefer the warm and foldable version though, not cold-hard / frozen....

And the gold shop can not charge you 80k :tongue:

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Maybe there was a discount or promotion coupon you received and they needed to register it against your ID?

Exactly.

Just read your post too late.

If you don't show some ID you won't get the discount. "Problem" solved and excitement unnecessary.

A typical AN thread. What is brought up here, oh no!

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2