Security beefed up for APEC with Putin participating

snoop1130

4 hours ago, harada said:

A golden opportunity if Vlad The Great was to attend. :ph34r:

I just received an email from my Thai stockbroker confirming that he will attend.

Anyway let's not get ahead of ourselves.  By November Russia might not even exist, along with large portions of other countries.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This thread is a perfect example of how people twist news to suit their own agenda. The photo of the PM shaking hands was taken before Vlad Putrid invaded Ukraine, so he is not endorsing Russia's invasion.

Having said that, would the scene be repeated now? Probably. Remember, Thailand has failed to condemn Russia, merely expressing concern. Not that anyone anywhere cares what Thailand thinks. 

Thailand does not care about anything unless it concerns Thailand. Just yesterday spotted T-shIrts with Hitler's face on sale in Khao San

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

THAI military and police are now fully ready to maintain tight security during the 29th Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) summit being held in Bangkok during November 16-18, 2022 with Russian President Vladimir Putin being among the leaders confirming participation

Sick... with what Putin is doing in Ukraine Prayut must want to upset the EU.

Best of luck with any future trade talks and investment in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes appalling, can the general population see the bigger picture here ? 

• Like 1

Putin, Xi and Prayut are all unelected dictators so clearly show a similar mindset.

i cannot believe that Putin would attend in person, but you never know as apparently he is going to attend the G20 in Bali.

there is clearly a massive target on him from so many people - so will be interesting to see if he makes it out alive. 

21 minutes ago, connda said:

Why not call them pigs, orcs, and sub-humans?

Those engaging in dehumanizing name calling obviously haven't studies history.
The rhetoric of hatred is exactly what creates the conditions of war. Dehumanizing those whom you hate makes you feel morally superior. Your leaders start the Song of War and their loyal citizenry fall in as the chorus in four part harmony.  War is money for many institutions and corporations. They furnish the orchestra.  Ethnic hatred fuels their profits.  And ya'll willingly participate.  It's really sad to watch.

President Putin and General Secretary Xi are rational actors.  Neither have anything to gain by war.  The current special military operation in Ukraine is being fought on Russia's border.  If China for instance created a military coalition of Central American countries and then clamored for Mexico to join the armed alliance - "to stop US aggression" - and perhaps place nuclear weapon in Mexico pointed at the US and Canada - what do you think the US would do?  Sit idly by and watch it happen?

Wars end with with rational people engaging in rapprochement, dialogue, trade and respect for the security and sovereignty of all nations.  Not by attempting to beat the nations of the world into hegemonic compliance.

You actually didn't call it a war.

This isn't Moscow.

Fought on borders?

Are you having a laugh.

Are playgrounds in Kyiv on the border?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

He'll probably get a pass. The west has bigger fish to fry than Make Believe Land.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TTSIssues said:

Putin, Xi and Prayut are all unelected dictators so clearly show a similar mindset.

i cannot believe that Putin would attend in person, but you never know as apparently he is going to attend the G20 in Bali.

there is clearly a massive target on him from so many people - so will be interesting to see if he makes it out alive. 

No way will he leave Russia.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

In the unlikely event that Putin turns up I do not doubt that he would have his own security goons with him.

I remember "meeting" Putin in 2003 during the APEC then. The lift doors opened at the Intercontinental and I looked down to see Putin snarling up at me. His 2 bodyguards filled the rest of the lift and said "Take Next Lift"...........

• Haha 1

Let him come then issue international arrest warrant and hook him back to Ukraine. He won’t leave his bunker just like hitler history repeating itself. 
who will give him the cynide capsule I’ll donate the petrol

whoever takes over from him can’t be as stupid and ruthless .
and hopefully peace can be restored. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Actually, I am morally superior to putin. Of course the Morally Superior bar is set pretty low when a psychopath killer is the standard.

Rational actor? Bombing schools, hospitals, shopping malls and markets?

If putin is your standard for morality and rational acting, then Hell is actually a paradise with great barbecue and sun tanning with copious amounts of SPF666.

Biden called him a rational actor yesterday. It is in the news.

48 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I looked at my gf this morning, she didn't look scared at all. I asked her if she knows what APEC is, she has no idea. The majority of the Thais are not interested in geopolitics, probably not even in countries nearby. I bet most don't know who is the head of state of Cambodia.

I still disagree, just because your gf does  knows a little, it does not mean the majority of the thais know nothing about the world. 99% of Thais I contacted are completely aware of the war in Ukraine. 

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yeh inviting a war criminal that should boost Thailands incredability,.

Why not, they have a convicted drug runner in the government, maybe the two of them can be buddies for a few days.