Security beefed up for APEC with Putin participating

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Biden called him a rational actor yesterday. It is in the news.

Context?

US president tells CNN he believes Putin’s objectives in Ukraine invasion were irrational but that he would not use a nuclear weapon.  Joe Biden has said he believes Vladimir Putin is a “rational actor” who badly misjudged his prospects of occupying Ukraine, but does not believe he would resort to using a tactical nuclear weapon.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Gen. Chalermphon Srisawasdi, Chief of Royal Thai Armed Forces, said after chairing a meeting on maintaining security during Apec attended by key military and police chiefs, that intelligence revealed no untoward incidents will occur during the summit but some of the leaders attending it might clash among themselves.

Is he referring to President Macron I wonder.....................going to need another 4 metre long table if so.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai government has declared 16-18 November special public holidays in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, and Samut Prakan

Does that mean those citizens working are not allowed to use the roads to get to work?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This thread is a perfect example of how people twist news to suit their own agenda. The photo of the PM shaking hands was taken before Vlad Putrid invaded Ukraine, so he is not endorsing Russia's invasion.

Having said that, would the scene be repeated now? Probably. Remember, Thailand has failed to condemn Russia, merely expressing concern. Not that anyone anywhere cares what Thailand thinks. 

Would any top world politicians really want to have any dealings with soldiers? Especially one with an IQ similar to the average Somchai in the street.

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

Can't see Putin attending in person but who knows, I note it says 'participation', not attendance.

My guess would be a representative in person and perhaps a video link from the man himself.

Either way he will have to wear the mandatory face covering........????

I really doubt Putin will attend in person. 2 km distance is now routine for trained snipers. IMO there's no security that can cover 360 degrees at that distance.

Given Putin's paranoia, very unlikely. He knows there are a lot of people that want him dead, and it's not only Ukrainians.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, earlinclaifornia said:

You have taken this out of context. Funny but not funny at all 

The president on Tuesday described Putin as a “rational actor” who has “miscalculated significantly” when he decided to invade. 

Well, from the sentence above I can't figure out if he is a rational actor or not. Something like a half pregnant woman? There are many actors in Thailand who miscalculated significantly how much their much younger gf loves them. However they may act rational in number of other circumstances. What are they in the end...rational or irrational actors?

And I haven't taken anything out of context...the headlines cry "Biden calls Putin rational actor"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-11/biden-calls-putin-rational-actor-who-miscalculated-with-war

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, RandiRona said:

It seems Prayut believes he will be Putin in few years since they both have similar alphabets in their name and similar kind of autocracies.

I doubt in world view of Putin, Thailand has any other role but of R&R.

Stupid comment!

8 hours ago, Inala said:

There is a well known saying, and that is quote, "You really are only as good as the company you keep"

If they accept Putin to be there in person, then they are guilty by association. 

Because the type of people you hang around with speaks directly to your own personal values.

These people (leaders) don't live by the same rules as we mere mortals,...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Well, from the sentence above I can't figure out if he is a rational actor or not. Something like a half pregnant woman? There are many actors in Thailand who miscalculated significantly how much their much younger gf loves them. However they may act rational in number of other circumstances. What are they in the end...rational or irrational actors?

And I haven't taken anything out of context...the headlines cry "Biden calls Putin rational actor"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-11/biden-calls-putin-rational-actor-who-miscalculated-with-war

Grammar can be a bitch for some....

42 minutes ago, racket said:

I would, since Vladimir Putin is finally breaking the neck of the globalists scumbags. BRICS is the future. 

BRICS without Bolsonaro and Brazil would be an interesting prospect. Do you think Lula is likely to fall into line with Putin and Xi? And Modi seems not to know which way to turn. You think Putin's your friend? He's wringing Europe's neck, that's for sure, but as Churchill said, some neck, some chicken. Europe has to learn to fight again. It's become just a massive bureaucracy and Putin saw that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

Not a man ... subhuman monster,

.............and a war criminal. There should be a new kind of Nuremberg trial for him and his Russian mob. Very bad to have blind eyes for their atrocities.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lets not be too harsh on the Thai leaders, all of the despots from the last 50 years have all had meetings or been entertained by leaders of western countries.

There's always money and deals to be made and Thailand sees this as an opportunity not sure why anyone would be surprised, business is business at the end of the day.

Majority of Thai people don't know or care about the war / invasion in Ukraine just as they are unaware of all the other atrocities that occur in other countries around the world on a daily basis,