How much do the average Thai person earn ?

Baron Samedi

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So less than 13K per month to put a kid through uni?  Or were there other sources of income going to him?

I'm helping put our niece through Uni. in Phitsonaluk. She got a government loan (as most people from poor rural backgrounds do) which has to be repaid on low interest rates starting two years after she graduates. I pay for her on campus accommodation of 18k per year plus I send her 7k a month for expenses. I believe the government loan is for 65k per semester x 2 semesters per year for 4 years.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Exactly and funny because they hired a college girl looking for a secretary job who couldn't get companies to employ her because she had no experience. 

Is that different than any other country.  Know when I got some paperwork behind me, without experience, I had to work in that industry, entry level, at damn near minimum wage, at my first job.  

Got my experience, and moved on, to 3 more companies, all with more responsibilities or pay/bennies or both.

Everybody wants to start out at top position with top pay, but accept the reality, of crawling before walking, or stay unemployed, and think of excuses for your failures.

'Nobody hired me as CEO because I didn't have experience'

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

6 hours ago, BonMot said:

I can also tell you and inform TV that I had a student that I worked with on international scholarships circa 2017.

Her mother radiologist and father epidemiologist and the combined income was 70k. She government hospital and he government employed. No idea income or side jobs.

I think Thais make far less than we imagine that's the magic of the economy.... Depressed wages

She needs to work for a private company then: Oncologist Radiation Salary Bangkok, Thailand - SalaryExpert

5 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm helping put our niece through Uni. in Phitsonaluk. She got a government loan (as most people from poor rural backgrounds do) which has to be repaid on low interest rates starting two years after she graduates. I pay for her on campus accommodation of 18k per year plus I send her 7k a month for expenses. I believe the government loan is for 65k per semester x 2 semesters per year for 4 years.

Whilst I dont doubt you, there seems something off here. she gets 18k a month ? as a student when people working dont even get to 15k ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Whilst I dont doubt you, there seems something off here. she gets 18k a month ? as a student when people working dont even get to 15k ? 

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear, the government loan pays the University fees, she doesn't see any of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

So less than 50% of their combined income.

Yes, but that's probably no different to young kids buying their first place in western countries, one wage services the mortgage.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, but that's probably no different to young kids buying their first place in western countries, one wage services the mortgage.

True that.

To me the thought of committing 50% of the household income to service the mortgage for the next 20 possibly 30+ years is downright scary !!

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear, the government loan pays the University fees, she doesn't see any of that.

Ok, thanks, all I can say is my niece recently finished at Phitlok, and her figures were nowhere even close to those figures. She didnt take anything from the Govt either. She also got herself a part time job to help and not borrow anything. What I found unfair was having finished Uni and got her papers etc, the job she now has pays 12k !! which I think after 4 years work is pitiful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Ok, thanks, all I can say is my niece recently finished at Phitlok, and her figures were nowhere even close to those figures. She didnt take anything from the Govt either. She also got herself a part time job to help and not borrow anything. What I found unfair was having finished Uni and got her papers etc, the job she now has pays 12k !! which I think after 4 years work is pityful.

Her 4 years "work" equals zero actual "on the job skills" though, and that is what drives the low starting wage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I concur with most of the figures here. A vast number of Thais make the minimum 7-11 salary of 9k baht a month. A secretary at one of my former schools made this. A primary school teacher in my village makes this. Members of my extended fam in the BKK service industry make this.

A vast number of Thais make even less, as said, by selling food in the markets or around the villages. It's why you see many shops selling in bulk, bags of snacks, packs of sausages and meatballs, cases of sodas, and stacks of the cups and lids to serve them in ice with. It's a huge part of their employment base, though shouldn't be, as they ought to be doing more meaningful work, yet it isn't there.

Indeed, most teachers make around 15k, then could move up to 40-50k with seniority. And as discussed in another thread, much of this is subject to corruption. Upon hiring they're informed that the privilege of this sought after govt position comes with a monthly salary cut for the school director. Or it could come upfront, as the 9k teacher in my village wasn't able to find a position, until her dad finally coughed up 100k baht for it to appear.

But, why pay 100k to only get 9k back a month? And why are the teachers often seen with new cars, big houses, and latest iPhones? Ah, that's because the esteemed govt position also comes with an unofficial extra salary, the special govt loans they're allowed to keep taking out, and get into massive debt with.

That's right, usually after uni a qualified teacher can not go and work for the government. They need to sit a test first (even though they were govt educated and graduated) to qualify. This entails usually circa 200k up "tuition" fee to sit the test. Absolute disgrace. So the teacher could be a gem but of they can't stump up the money to pass the test they will work in a private / nursery school for 8-12k per month. The govt actually subsidizes the teachers employment but this is usually skimmed by the principal. How they account in these schools I will never know. It's like any money saved or rorted goes directly in the back pocket 

• Like 1

Lots of Bangkok Thais the lobby is jammed pulling at the new Space hotel in Naklua paying 5k to 10k a night for hotel rooms.

I see the average being around 15 to 18 k.  Many however, seem to be around or under that.

Most if the Univ. grads will not be able to find a decent job at this time.

If I was a female and decent looking, I would seek a job in the entertainment industry.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Is that different than any other country.  Know when I got some paperwork behind me, without experience, I had to work in that industry, entry level, at damn near minimum wage, at my first job.  

Got my experience, and moved on, to 3 more companies, all with more responsibilities or pay/bennies or both.

Everybody wants to start out at top position with top pay, but accept the reality, of crawling before walking, or stay unemployed, and think of excuses for your failures.

'Nobody hired me as CEO because I didn't have experience'

You miss the point I'm making as to why my son employed her. 

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I guess they do get free food and She likes her Big'C' job her husband works away a lot and earns good money and he pays all the household bills so it's pocket money and company for her. 

Many don't work in our village and get money from the govt, have 2 brother in-laws and a sister in-law who do nowt because they get money from the govt.

And how much do they get from the govt, next to nothing? I challenge you or others to live on that or the minimum wage most get and then write a post on how well you're doing

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Ok, thanks, all I can say is my niece recently finished at Phitlok, and her figures were nowhere even close to those figures. She didnt take anything from the Govt either. She also got herself a part time job to help and not borrow anything. What I found unfair was having finished Uni and got her papers etc, the job she now has pays 12k !! which I think after 4 years work is pitiful.

Yes just above 7 /11

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Do they get free food? Have to factor that in. Three meals a day. Must be worth 90 baht a day?

The ladies in our local Big C food hall all seem to be happy souls. Big money don't always make you happy.

I buy my chicken-foot soup from one stall. Three big bags of soup for 40 baht. That does me for six meals.

Worth a quick mention, it's illegal (same in many countries) for employers to ask or to allow employees to work 7 days a week.

Been discussed many time before re security companies owned by army officers, part of the deal (illegal) is 7 days a week. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dan O said:

And how much do they get from the govt, next to nothing? I challenge you or others to live on that or the minimum wage most get and then write a post on how well you're doing

Just because you know little about how poor people manage,  it is silly to challenge me you surely know i would not want to live like that and couldn't I'm not Thai. 

They have no choice and don't do well and go without in some cases whether self inflicted or from an accident or wore out parts of the body. 

They can get 2 free meals a day at the village temple if they want. 

B.I.L. gets 800 baht a month because unable to work.

S.I.L. gets 700 + 400+ 300 to buy rice. 

Their electric bills are usually free because they use 5/15 and little electric.

My wife pays for their water. 

My wife's family another 2 brothers and sister bring food as well. 

The eldest sister gets 800 baht from govt and works in my wife's cafe' restaurant with my wife's great nephew who we put through college to be a Chef and cannot get a job yet because he has no experience. ????

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Just because you know little about how poor people manage,  it is silly to challenge me you surely know i would not want to live like that and couldn't I'm not Thai. 

If I were on my own, I could live for 2,400 baht a month. at the farm.

Edited by owl sees all
I
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

If I were on my own, I could live for 2,400 baht a month. at the farm.

I believe you could but unlike Thais you need 800,000baht in the bank or the other methods. ????

I like to do road trips on my bike and i like a beer.

My farmhouse has fridge and night light and is zero per month  unless i use the air-con.

My village house is another story but still cheap living. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1